Team Camaro Tech banner

Wiring a fan indicator light 67 camaro

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Rls8836 
#1 ·
I want to put a lite in my dash indicating when the electric fans come on and off. Bought one at a swap meet and it has two prongs to plug wires to. How do I wire it? The fans are run off a relay and temp. Sending unit in front of the intake.

#6 ·
Using a light to monitor the operation of the fan seems like a good idea, however, it's not fool proof. If the fan motor takes a crap, voltage will still be fed from the relay to the light allowing it to glow brightly with a false sense of security while the engine heats up. Think about it!>:)

#8 ·
Or trigger the light if the relay closes but no power is being drawn indicating a failure of the fan. If power is being drawn no light. So the light really becomes a warning light.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#10 ·
Guys I do have a temperature gauge that does work. This is my 1st sports car in 35-40 yrs. 67 RS/SS. I was just thinking that when sitting in my car with kinda loud exhaust that I could not tell if the fans were running or not. Just thought a small led light that came on when the fans came on would show that they SHOULD be running. I still don't know what normally open means,sorry I am not good with electronics. I do have a Bosch relay that controls it along with the thermocouple. Anyone venture to say what wire I would hook in to. I would guess the one that is tied to the plus side of the fans??

#12 ·
if you have a volt meter just watch it, the voltage will drop when the fan goes on :p or the wire that goes from the relay to the fan thats the one you join the one wire from your new light and the other wire to the ground

#13 ·
Normal open is like a light switch that is in the off position.

Yes if you tie the indicator bulb to the +12V wire that goes to the fans and ground the bulb the light will come on when there is power to the fans. I would suggest a small LED.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.