Removing side-post battery bolt - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 04, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hi, I'm working on a 2000 Camaro V6 and need to replace the factory bolt on the red (+) battery cable (for the GM-standard side-post battery of course). I'm replacing the bolt with an adapter that allows an external audio amplifier to be connected to the battery (the replacement bolt has two ends: one end connects the cable to the battery; the other end allows the amp's ring terminal to connect to it).

Only thing is, from looking at the factory bolt in the (+) cable's plastic housing, I can't figure out how to get that bolt out! I've found no hints in Googling for it, and my Haynes Camaro Repair Manual only goes so far as to discuss how to replace the battery, not the actual battery bolt in the cable.

I'd appreciate any help you can pass along!
Thanks!
-Vetsac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 04, 09:26 PM
Senior Tech

it should be an 8mm socket that goes over it. It should come out pretty easy. If it is stuck you can try and ues vice grips but be very careful cause you can strip that bolt off.

69 Camaro RS, 383ci,10.5-1 AFR 195's ported, Comp 286HR, 4340 forged Crank & Rods, JE Pistons, RPM Airgap, Holley 750 HP carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit, 3000 Coan, Be cool, caltracs,12bolt 355 eaton posi..Best E.T. 12.22 @ 112
69 Camaro
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 04, 04:43 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Look at the bolt holder closely. The plastic/rubber enclosing the bolt should be flexible enough that you can bend it slightly and sort of walk the edges of the bolt from under it. At least that is the way it was on the older side-mount battery posts...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 04, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by sdtsdt:
Look at the bolt holder closely. The plastic/rubber enclosing the bolt should be flexible enough that you can bend it slightly and sort of walk the edges of the bolt from under it.
sdtsdt,

Yep that was it. Now that I knew what to look for after inspecting it again, I was able to just flex that rubber enclosing enough to walk the factory bolt out and replace it with the new one. Thanks again for the tip! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode