Headliner - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Headliner

One more decent evening in the garage and I will be ready to hang the headliner. My center rod points are all good. The center mark is still there. I have to slit the rod loops, hang the middle rod, bend the points, insert rods as needed working front first, then the back. Stretch and clip. Repeat on sucessive evenings until it seems right, trim, glue. Sound right? Whats a good way to cut the courtesy light holes into the sail panels without butchering them?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Re: Headliner

I did mine but watched plenty of video on You Tube to get an idea of what to do. It was my first one. It cam out pretty good. The hard part was the rear/sides and securing to the angle bars in the back under the sail panels. A smaller staple worked best in that area.

Also for new rear window inside molding/trim. The Trim parts piece is the way to go. The OER is not pre formed. it a piece of crap. The Trim parts piece goes in easly and mince was formed to fit the rear window nicely. Trimming might be required to get the metal trim parts back on around the new trim. It seems to be tad on the wide side.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

I learned by OJT - On the Job Training.
I bought a JC Whitney headliner, a nice one, and soaked in the sun the morning of install day.
Then slid rods in, no slits for me, installed the rods with liner into roof, snapped the rods into place, then stretched the liner to the edges, and rolled the edges over letting the 'dinosaur teeth' grab the cloth.
Center of roof rails first, then moved to window centers, then to corners.
Installed trim about the roof, done.
Thumb was sore. Had a little wrinkle on sail panels, but you don't see them at night ...
Liner came out looking good, taut and cloth pattern aligned with rail - I wasn't trying for this, just worked out this way.
I later learned others were using glue to hold the edges - didn't know this at the time.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'I wish the Dollar Store would sell gas. '
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

I wish you the best of luck.
Seems I can't 'edit' my post

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 06:01 AM
John

Garage

Good luck. There are a few things I don't do myself. Headliner installation is one.

I have an upholsterer that comes to my house and does it for $200

69 Z28
69 LS7/T56 Pro Tour #2(BUILDING)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech
Don

I remove all the wrinkles with a warm iron before installation. Makes it a little easier. Warm not hot iron though...

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2
1969 Camaro project
1970 Z28 project - sold
1968 Firebird project
1969 Z28 factory air project
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 06:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I decided not to even try and replace the original bowed headliner...
and I bought/installed TMI's one-piece molded headliner and it looks great.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Good luck. There are a few things I don't do myself. Headliner installation is one.

I have an upholsterer that comes to my house and does it for $200
Well worth it.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Once you've done one, you'll see it's not as bad as it seems. The only tricky part for me was cutting the slits for the bows where they attach on either end. Too long and it will sag, too short and it won't have a natural looking curve. Also, make sure it's stretched out before you bend over the center bow clips. They'll cause wrinkles if you aren't careful.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 72 B
Semper Fi!

Build thread:

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 08:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Are the sail panels already covered? I had the advantage of making my own sail panels and cutting the light hole before I covered it. If it's already covered I would use a hole saw by hand to get through the headliner material before using the drill.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I have a Legendary headliner and covered sails. I have done this once before and it was this same car in 73 but the glass was in. I musta forgot to put the rear tack strips back in then and done it with out them because I don't seem to have them any more and I kept about everything when I tore it apart. Gotta get more. The headliner is sewn wide so slits aren't optional. They have a notch in the stitching on center at each seam which is nice. I am practicing my cussing so I'm ready. Gotta order strips tonight someplace after one last dig through the attic. If I had a reasonable upholsterer I would likely do it Johns way though I am a bit of a knucklehead....

The Legendary sails match my original sails perfectly so I feel comfortable just transferring the holes. I have Trim Parts front and rear trim. The original lights turned out pretty good though I caught it for putting them in the dishwasher.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Couldn't find the tack strips behind the sail panel. Couldn't figure out what anchors them either. I have slots up in the interior metal but no obvious clue to what the fasterer was. My sail panels came from Legendary with a strip of Velcro in the box, use unknown. I am thinking about velcroing the headliner behind the trim panels. What came from Legendary isn't big enough for that but ... Anybody done this? Does the stack height of the Velcro push out the sail?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d cad View Post
Couldn't find the tack strips behind the sail panel. Couldn't figure out what anchors them either.
Two screws. One on either end of the tack strip. It can vary what holds the sail panels on. Here's a few of pics of mine when I removed everything.

Z23 711 U17 72 B
Semper Fi!

Build thread:

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

This out of your 69 Dave? My inner steel is a little different. No obvious mount hardware. No holes where threads ran through. A couple little slots in the correct spot for some kind of nut setup. I have found some pics on line that show the tack strip in place but not clear/close enough to show whats holding it. It makes Velcro tempting.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d cad View Post
This out of your 69 Dave? My inner steel is a little different. No obvious mount hardware. No holes where threads ran through. A couple little slots in the correct spot for some kind of nut setup. I have found some pics on line that show the tack strip in place but not clear/close enough to show whats holding it. It makes Velcro tempting.
My apologies. When you're restoring a 69, all questions become related to 69 lol...

Z23 711 U17 72 B
Semper Fi!

Build thread:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode