Team Camaro Tech banner

Good sound proofing material?

15K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  Lobucrod 
#1 ·
Forget Dynamat, too expensive. Iv'e heard about FatMat, and a couple others. I also heard about products found at Lowes and Home depot. How good is that stuff? Someone said a building supply roofing Ice barrier?? Whats you take on it?

#3 ·
I actually prefer to pick up a bulk of jute padding from an upholstery supply store.

Cheap, light, and very easy to work with. In addition to the jute that is on the backside of the carpet, it works well. With my cars, I cant even hear the engine running when the windows are rolled up.

#4 ·
I used to use the jute stuff, but quite frankly, it doesn't work beans compared to the real deal. I took it all out and tossed it in the trash. Plus, if there's ever a leak, it will hold all the water and start a rust-fest.

Dynamat is too expensive IMO, so I went with RAAMmat from RAAMAudio. It's pretty much exactly the same and is much, much cheaper. Using this and closed cell foam, you can make your interior sound like a Lexus. When I tap on the doorskin, it's a nice THUD instead of a tin-like resonance. You can't do that with jute.

#7 ·
I couldn't really find any reviews of that lobucrod stuff, so I bought the Fatmat off of e-bay. It hasn't arrived yet, but I think it will work well. I got 100 square ft with roller and stuff for $109.00 including shipping. I'm going to cover everything, floor, tunnel, doors, firewall, behind rear seat. Hope it works well. Will do a review here when done. I plan to take pictures and the whole deal.
rj

#8 ·
Thanks. I was looking at the same stuff on ebay. Let us know how you make out.

#9 ·
The problem I had with Fatmat is I had seen seen numerous complaints about their shipping and customer service.

Saw one thread the other day from a guy who said he finally recieved his after almost four months. Their feedback was awful, but now I see they have changed their ID in the last 30 days and it's all positive feedback since. It also says item will be shipped in 24 hrs or less. Maybe they've finally changed.

I watched this stuff for a long time trying to decide whether to roll the dice with them or not. I bought the Raammat.

I hope you get your Fatmat in a timely manner. Looks like they are trying to change their image. Let us know. Good luck.

#10 ·
I looked at the RAAMmat BXT also. I kinda like that better. I may get 200' so I can double everything and do the doors.

#11 ·
I just bought it yesterday, but based on what you said, I think I will call or e-mail the seller and tell them I need the stuff ASAP, and nail them down on a shipping date. I had heard complaints before about their timliness, but I guess I forgot that til you mentioned it. I think the product will work well, but we will see. I'll let everyone know, in fact when I contact them, I think I will mention my concerns as to their shipping. That might speed them up a bit too.
RJ

#12 ·
I have never heard anyone complain about the actual Fatmat product. Just the things I mentioned in my previous post. I'd say it's a good product, alot of people use it.

I ordered the Raammat last Thursday. Within minutes I recieved an E-mail from Rick(the owner) thanking me for my order. Then within a few more minutes I got another E-mail from them telling me my order was being processed and would ship out that day.

Within an hour of ordering it I recieved another E-mail saying it had been shipped and they had enclosed the tracking info.

I haven't recieved it yet but I will post back when I get it.

#14 ·
One thing I would mention is that any of the self-adhesive products are an absolute bear to remove. So, if you're considering weld in SFC's or other body work I'd strongly suggest doing it before installing any of the self-adhesive sound insulation products. This advise is the result of painful personal experience.

#19 ·
Just ab update on the Fatmat. I bought 100 sq ft yesterday on e-bay. I got an e-mail today with tracking number. Item was shipped within 24 hrs of my purchase. There website states shipment within 24 hrs or you get $30 credit on your order. I guess they have made some changes from the past shipping problems. The tracking showed delivery no later than 12/26/06. OK by me. I'll update when I get it and get started installing. Looking forward to it.
rj

#21 ·
A couple guys I know turned me on to Quiet Car. They love it. Its a spray on like Lizard Skin. I didnt use it yet, but will be spraying it inside my door skins and in the trunk /quaters...and anywhere I can. I have Dynomat Xtreem and Fatmat too for other parts of the car. I dont know how this all is going to work but I'm sure it will be better that the tinny sound all my new sheetmetal makes.

Check out the video clip of the Quiet Car. Its a cheezy video but it gets the point across.

http://www.quietcoat.com/

#23 ·
Check out the video clip of the Quiet Car. Its a cheezy video but it gets the point across.http://www.quietcoat.com/
Cheesy isn't the right word for that video. Either way, if it works like the video clip and the audio files suggest, it's pretty good stuff. I wish LizardSkin would get off the butts and do a similar comparison. I wanted a spary-on deadener simply for the idea that it supposedly weighs less than the mats. I also like the idea of being able to apply it to the firewall, sanding it and top coating it on the engine side of things as well as the interior. From what I've read, soundproofing material functions by adding mass to thinner metals. It seems to me that the more surface area you can cover with the sound deadening material (and not necessarily the thickness of the material on one side), the more effective it will become.

#25 ·
I just sprayed my entire car with lizard skin. floors,roof,trunk,door,quarters. I hope it works well. I haven't put the interior back in yet but I'm considering putting Dynapad over my transmission tunnel before I do. I'm this deep in, I would hate to have to redo down the road. The lizard skin only added about 8lbs compare to the 100 people talk about with dynamat

#27 ·
I just sprayed my entire car with lizard skin. floors,roof,trunk,door,quarters. I hope it works well. I haven't put the interior back in yet but I'm considering putting Dynapad over my transmission tunnel before I do. I'm this deep in, I would hate to have to redo down the road. The lizard skin only added about 8lbs compare to the 100 people talk about with dynamat
Can you tell the difference between before and after with the sheetmetal?

#28 ·
Not to hijack the thread but how do you guys cover your doorskins with this stuff ? Cut it into little pieces and fish it thru the little holes ? Sounds like it would be a real PITA and would also be tuff to get good coverage...

#29 ·
Update:
I ordered the Fatmat on e-bay Wednesday, it shipped out Thursday, and it arrived this morning (Saturday) at 10:30 AM. Guess they solved the shipping issues I'd heard so much about. Will get started today hopefully. I must admit, when you look at how thin it is, even though it's a bit heavy, it worries me that it could really do that much, but I'm hoping it will be good. Anyone who has already used it, feel free to reassure me that it will do a good job, haha. Also if you used it, did you use anything else over it on the floors, firewall, etc before carpeting?
Thanks,
RJ

#30 ·
My Fat Mat shipped out pretty quick also. Which Fat Mat did you go with? I got the Rattle Trap kit. Which also seemed a lil bit thinner than the Dynamat i've laid in the trunk already. But with that and the Lizard Skin underneath it should be okay. I don't plan on putting anything else between the carpet and Fat Mat., atleast for now. :beers:

#31 ·
I got the regular fatmat which I guess they call extreme. I will give it a try. If I have extra, I might double up, but I plan to do inside the doors and as much as I can do with the 100 ft. I'll decide then if I think I need more. I might consider spraying the inside first, but I want to avoid anymore of a mess than is necessary.
rj

#36 · (Edited)
Just an FYI. I attemted to spray the QuietCar inside my new door shells last night. I bought their $59 spray gun cause they claimed I needed it. I got the Quiet car in the spray bottle and it wasnt easy cause the stuff is thicker than molasses. I set it all up and I tried to spray and nothing came out the gun...zero. I couldnt get it to spray. Its just too thick. I have a big enough compressor. I had the Quietcar inside so it wasnt frozen but it still is really thick. I talked to them and they said it should spray and it wasnt a good idea to thin it but I could if I wanted to and it shouldnt affect the properties. I ended up using a small roller and it went on but was messy. It didnt help that I had to reach in paint the inside of the doorskin thru small openings in the door shell. Well I got one coat on and its dry and hard like cement. I am going to put a couple more coats on. One thing I can tell you is that it stiffened up my doorskin, which I am happy about. Its less flimsy. I really wont know if the stuff will work till the car is painted and on the road, but wanted to let you know the stuff wont spray thru their gun, at least not for me. I have a another call into them. Waiting for a callback.

I can post some pics after I put on another coat if anyones interested.

#33 ·
I have yet to put the interior back in so I really haven't tested the lizard skin. My roof still sounds Tinny to me, definitely not like on the quiet car video. I went for the lizard skin for the thermal capabilities also. At this point I'm into the lizard skin for $400, so If I spend another $100 on fatmat for the roof and trans tunnel I'll sleep better at night while the car is already apart.

#34 ·
My roof still sounds Tinny to me, definitely not like on the quiet car video.
The roof on my 1974 Nova sounded tinny also and here are some shots of what I did:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/554234601lfPKFB

http://rides.webshots.com/album/512271998TnjKsx

The inner roof beams and supports were not attached to the underside of the roof skin and after locking them together the tinny sound is gone. My 74 only had a center left to right brace while my 73 Nova Custom had this and a center front to back one. On the 73 I have a stereo that before would really flex the roof skin in and out but now after locking the supports and the roof skin together there is hardly any flexing.

Jim

#35 ·
I ordered some Fatnmat from Ebay, it was backordered, but it did arrive on the promise date from the backorder. I got 100sqft, I have used almost exactly 50sqft to cover the entire floor area (including firewall) front to rear with one layer of the material. They will send you a cheap plastic roller with the order, save yourself some trouble and go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a small wall paper roller and use it instead. One hint, on a clean floor cut your material to size and then carefully remove the backing and place it where you want it, because once it is rolled into place it's a bear to remove.

#38 ·
Can you warm it up some to flow better.

#40 ·
I put on a second coat and added 5% water to thin it like they told me. I still rolled it on. It was a bit thinner and also took a while longer to dry. I plan on putting on another last coat and may try to get it tru the gun again so I can spray in the tight spots I cant get to with a small roller.. I'll thin it the 5% and see. I had the stuff in my house and it was at room temp but I will try to warm it up a bit without exposing it to air. It dries like concrete.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.