Good sound proofing material? - Team Camaro Tech
Interiors Upholstery & soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 06, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Good sound proofing material?

Forget Dynamat, too expensive. Iv'e heard about FatMat, and a couple others. I also heard about products found at Lowes and Home depot. How good is that stuff? Someone said a building supply roofing Ice barrier?? Whats you take on it?

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 06, 07:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

Re: Good sound proofing material?

check out lobucrod.com
this is the material we will be using
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 06, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

I actually prefer to pick up a bulk of jute padding from an upholstery supply store.

Cheap, light, and very easy to work with. In addition to the jute that is on the backside of the carpet, it works well. With my cars, I cant even hear the engine running when the windows are rolled up.

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 06:18 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I used to use the jute stuff, but quite frankly, it doesn't work beans compared to the real deal. I took it all out and tossed it in the trash. Plus, if there's ever a leak, it will hold all the water and start a rust-fest.

Dynamat is too expensive IMO, so I went with RAAMmat from RAAMAudio. It's pretty much exactly the same and is much, much cheaper. Using this and closed cell foam, you can make your interior sound like a Lexus. When I tap on the doorskin, it's a nice THUD instead of a tin-like resonance. You can't do that with jute.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 06:22 AM
Tech Team

my doorskin thuds too from bondo

69 RS/SS tornado fuel saver,titanium piston return springs,roller muffler bearing
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 07:02 AM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock73110 View Post
my doorskin thuds too from bondo
lol

Christropher
1967 RS/SS 350...in pieces still.
http://www.67rs-ss.net/
**How to attach images**
MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67 "
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 07:17 AM
Senior Tech
RJ

I couldn't really find any reviews of that lobucrod stuff, so I bought the Fatmat off of e-bay. It hasn't arrived yet, but I think it will work well. I got 100 square ft with roller and stuff for $109.00 including shipping. I'm going to cover everything, floor, tunnel, doors, firewall, behind rear seat. Hope it works well. Will do a review here when done. I plan to take pictures and the whole deal.
rj

69 RS coupe, 4.11 Richmond gears, Muncie 4-speed, Dart SHP 406, 11:1, 4340 H-beam rods and crank. SRP forged pistons, Milodon 7-qt pan, Dart single plane and 215cc Pro1 alum heads, Comp XR300HR cam and roller rockers, Howard hydraulic roller lifters, Hooker 1 3/4" Super Comps, Quick Fuel 750 carb
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Thanks. I was looking at the same stuff on ebay. Let us know how you make out.

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 08:05 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

The problem I had with Fatmat is I had seen seen numerous complaints about their shipping and customer service.

Saw one thread the other day from a guy who said he finally recieved his after almost four months. Their feedback was awful, but now I see they have changed their ID in the last 30 days and it's all positive feedback since. It also says item will be shipped in 24 hrs or less. Maybe they've finally changed.

I watched this stuff for a long time trying to decide whether to roll the dice with them or not. I bought the Raammat.

I hope you get your Fatmat in a timely manner. Looks like they are trying to change their image. Let us know. Good luck.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck 2 View Post
The problem I had with Fatmat is I had seen seen numerous complaints about their shipping and customer service.

Saw one thread the other day from a guy who said he finally recieved his after almost four months. Their feedback was awful, but now I see they have changed their ID in the last 30 days and it's all positive feedback since. It also says item will be shipped in 24 hrs or less. Maybe they've finally changed.

I watched this stuff for a long time trying to decide whether to roll the dice with them or not. I bought the Raammat.

I hope you get your Fatmat in a timely manner. Looks like they are trying to change their image. Let us know. Good luck.
I looked at the RAAMmat BXT also. I kinda like that better. I may get 200' so I can double everything and do the doors.

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech
RJ

I just bought it yesterday, but based on what you said, I think I will call or e-mail the seller and tell them I need the stuff ASAP, and nail them down on a shipping date. I had heard complaints before about their timliness, but I guess I forgot that til you mentioned it. I think the product will work well, but we will see. I'll let everyone know, in fact when I contact them, I think I will mention my concerns as to their shipping. That might speed them up a bit too.
RJ

69 RS coupe, 4.11 Richmond gears, Muncie 4-speed, Dart SHP 406, 11:1, 4340 H-beam rods and crank. SRP forged pistons, Milodon 7-qt pan, Dart single plane and 215cc Pro1 alum heads, Comp XR300HR cam and roller rockers, Howard hydraulic roller lifters, Hooker 1 3/4" Super Comps, Quick Fuel 750 carb
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I have never heard anyone complain about the actual Fatmat product. Just the things I mentioned in my previous post. I'd say it's a good product, alot of people use it.

I ordered the Raammat last Thursday. Within minutes I recieved an E-mail from Rick(the owner) thanking me for my order. Then within a few more minutes I got another E-mail from them telling me my order was being processed and would ship out that day.

Within an hour of ordering it I recieved another E-mail saying it had been shipped and they had enclosed the tracking info.

I haven't recieved it yet but I will post back when I get it.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Daral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver69Camaro View Post
you can make your interior sound like a Lexus.
Yes, that is what I drive every day, they are very quiet.

I've read many posts on sound proofing material. It seems that most are happy with the different products. The issues seem to be related to price, shipping and the amount of weight that is being added to the car.

Daral (67 RS/SS 350)
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 09:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

One thing I would mention is that any of the self-adhesive products are an absolute bear to remove. So, if you're considering weld in SFC's or other body work I'd strongly suggest doing it before installing any of the self-adhesive sound insulation products. This advise is the result of painful personal experience.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

http://imageshack.com/a/img745/1637/0NP8Y4.jpg
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 06, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
One thing I would mention is that any of the self-adhesive products are an absolute bear to remove. So, if you're considering weld in SFC's or other body work I'd strongly suggest doing it before installing any of the self-adhesive sound insulation products. This advise is the result of painful personal experience.
I'm in that position right now, too.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode