Team Camaro Tech banner

Getting the motor lower?

Tags
angle lsx t56
6K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  H20cooled 
#1 ·
67 Camaro, Stock sub frame, LSX with T56 magnum trans, Dirty Dingo sliders. My motor is at a - 6 degree angle, the tranny is as high as it can go without modifying the tunnel, I have a bunch of room under my oil pan (Mast unit) so I would like to lower the front of the motor down. Frame mounts are 69 302 (low and narrow) with the matching Moroso solid mounts, I have also tried the Energy Suspension poly mounts and they sat higher. I tried the 67 SBC mounts that are tall and wide with the matching Energy Suspension mounts and they are worse yet.

I have to use the Dirty Dingo sliders for my headers (Kooks), Tru-turn, and Mast oil pan so I cannot switch to the Holley ones.

Does anyone know any mounts that will set the front of the motor lower than what I have tried?

Thanks,

Rich

#2 ·
So you want to lower engine as opposed to modding the tunnel?

To do so you can fab frame towers. I would also not use solid mounts.

You will need to lower the engine approx 1"

By lowering the engine you will sacrifice ground clearance for the pan and headers.

#3 · (Edited)
From what I was told from the T56 dealer this setup would not require modding the tunnel that is why I was hoping to avoid doing that. But I also do not want to have clearance issues for the pan/headers. I think I will call the dealer and ask them how they came to their setup without modifying the tunnel.

How did you come to the 1" lower length? With that much the oil pan would not clear the crossmember.

Why not the solid mounts?

Rich

#6 ·
Every T56 I have installed in a 1st gen has required the tunnel to be raised approx 3/4" therefore my 1" lowering estimate. This has been the case with stock subframe, Speedtech and TCI subframes.

Solid mounts transfer vibration into the car. I like the Energy Suspension Poly mounts.

You can notch the subframe for pan clearance but you will still lose ground clearance and another issue you may run into if you lower the engine is lower radiator hose clearance.as well as possible other clearance issues with the PS pump and A-arms.

Do the headers clear the tru-turn? most headers have to be modified for clearance.

#7 ·
The Kook headers are supposed to clear the tru-turn if you use them with the Mast oil pan and DD sliders.

I have around 1" at this time under the oil pan for clearance.

I'm going to call today and find out what angle the Kooks headers where setup for and find out from the transmission dealer what they recommend and how they fit this right in a 1st gen car.

#8 ·
You can run the 6* angle although not ideal if you change your pinion angle. This will however angle the collectors for the headers down as well.

Why not just mod the tunnel and solve all the issues?

#11 ·
So a question, I'm putting in a Ridetech 4-link so I can control the pinion angle on the rear end. How much of an issue would it be to leave the motor/trans at the 5 degree angle and adjust the rear end with a 5 degree + angle to match the front end? I understand that its not optimal but I would prefer not to have to cut up my transmission tunnel for this.

Thanks,

Rich

#12 ·
I would be worried your wheels MIGHT not be centered in the wheel opening if you adjust the upper bars that much. Driveline vibration And driveshaft clearance in the tunnel are other concerns.

Get out the sawzall and git er done... :stirpot:

Don

#15 ·
How far are they from the floor? Hard to imagine they are designed for 6 degrees. If they don't get too close to the floor what else is there to be concerned about?

Don

#16 ·
To use the stock console with the Speedtech tunnel you will need to remove the original mount on the tunnel. It will go away when you cut the tunnel. Then the bottom of the console is cut to slip over the tunnel plate. You can easily fab a bracket to attach the console to the tunnel cover.

Kooks along with most other header manufactures build headers to fit with the engine in the stock location and with the engine approx level to provide the best ground clearance

#20 ·
The speedtech tunnel is not a good fit for stock subframe w T56. When I called them to ask about this (after mocking it up and seeing it wasnt ideal), they said its only designed for use with their subframe. I suggest you use the Alston Chassiworks tunnel cap. Thats what I ended up going with. It fit perfect and gives you the clearance where its needed to raise the tailshaft. Some massaging and transitioning from the edge of the cap where it curves into the firewall will be required (as it would with any tunnel mod). On the 4 link, it will be difficult to get 5* upward angle. I doubt the stock upper bars would work, and the tabs would likely have to be repositioned to keep the bars from hitting the axle tube. Also, the driveshaft will likely be sloping UP to from the trans to the pinion on the rear end, which is undesirable and will likely lead to vibration. The raised tunnel is the way to go. On the mounts, there is the short/wide, and the tall/narrow. Use the short/wide ones. 6* is a lot to overcome by shortening the mounts, and leads to the problems Vegas69 mentioned. I think the new holley parts are the way to go now. They have changed the header design recently to clear the tru-turn. The mounts lower the motor, improving driveline angle and allow the t56 to fit without tunnel mods. I have not used the new holley parts yet, but in talks with the rep on here and other boards the new header design is available now. I know you already have headers, but thought you might consider this option. I dont care for the solid mounts either. I used the G-force crossmember, with a pretty good sized spacer between the trans and crossmember. I have some pics of when I did the tunnel mod in my camaro if they will help you. PM me with your email address. Scott

#21 ·
I already ordered the Speedtech tunnel cap so I think I will try that, maybe they changed something on it because there site says it will work with the stock subframe.

I think what I will end up doing is switching back to the Poly motor mounts and then putting a spacer under my Crossmember where it bolts to the subframe to raise it there and then an addition one under the transmission to raise it as well.

Not sure what else to do I really do not want to have to buy new headers, x-member, etc...

#27 ·
X2. I have not seen significantly taller mounts. Use a stock rubber mount. It will reduce driveline vibration.

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.