Team Camaro Tech banner

69 Camaro LQ9 swap questions

5K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  67Rally 
#1 ·
I have recently purchased an LQ9 that was a fresh build and has no miles on the fresh build. The motor has stock 317 heads and an MS4 cam with comp .660" lift valve spring, push rods, ls7 lifters, ARP rod bolts, and trunnion kit. I will be using an LS6 intake manifold as well.

I am a little concerned about ptv clearance since I have heard that this could be an issue with the MS4 cam.

Has anyone used this cam and how did you avoid ptv interference?

Can you use the LS2 water pump instead of the L99 water pump to keep the outlet on the passenger side or does the side that the outlet is on really even matter?

Thank you for your helping me out.

#3 ·
I do not know if he did or not. I am going to get in contact with him and see.

I was trying to avoid to have to flycut them but if it is necessary then I will. I mean after if would be a precaution to go ahead and cut them so you don't have to worry about valve floating causing an issue.

#6 · (Edited)
Just spoke with him and he did not. He assumes that if I don't have the heads milled then I should be fine when it comes to ptv.

What is the minimum ptv that you should keep?
Assuming is a bad answer from an engine builder. The only way to know for certain it to measure PTV

I don't understand why "engine builders" think it's OK not to check things like this. It only takes a few minutes.

If it was mine I'd pull the heads and check PTV clearance and everything anything else he may have assumed would be OK.

Water Pump should work fine. Plan you intake air tubing and accessories to make sure it all fits and clears as well.

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah I plan to check it. The heads were never installed and are not assembled yet. I will be assembling them and checking the ptv along with the rod bolts when I change the oil pan to the f-body pan. I wouldn't say he is an actual engine builder but has built a few and never completed this motor due to needing cash for other matters and needed to sell it.

It the LS2 water pump pulley the same distance from the block as the lq9's? or will it need the water pump .75" spacer?

Plan on doing something like this for my build:

#12 ·
The LQ9 and L99 water pumps use the same pulley spacing, but have the outlets on opposite sides. I did this swap a few years ago and posted it over on ls1tech with some other info as well: LQ9 vs L99 Water Pump pics - LS1TECH

LQ9 on top, L99 on bottom:

LQ9 on right, L99 on left:

I may have posted it somewhere on this site as well.

#10 ·
Reactions: zdld17
#16 ·
If you don't already have the accessories, I would just go with an f-body or corvette setup with the appropriate water pump and balancer. If you already have the LQ9 stuff, then the LS2 waterpump with a .75" spacer will do the trick for you.

#17 ·
Well the only thing I have is the alternator and p/s pump. The harmonic balancer is not installed yet on the engine and I plan to run A/C from vintage air. Not 100% sure what route is the most cost effective and simplest way of going about the accessories on the front. Motor is a fresh build with no accessories installed.

#18 ·
I thought I was going to re-use all my LQ9 stuff, so that's why I went with the L99 pump and stuck with the truck balancer. In the end, all the accessories looked old and I ended up replacing them with new stuff anyways. If I had thought it through, I would have just gone with a whole new accessory drive setup from an fbody or vette. That buys you .75-1.5" of extra clearance if you need it. No point in using old stuff on a fresh build, unless it's in good shape.

You can price stuff out through Jegs/Summit/Speedway, etc. Search for kits that would work with LS2 cars, if that's the layout you want. I don't know current pricing. I think dondb went that route on his LQ9, you can pm him for details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.