How do you protect your car from theft?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

How do you protect your car from theft/damaging??
This is a question I've often wondered myself. I've seen many beautiful camaros around here, such as RFrenette's, DjD's, Teetoe's, and the list just never ends! I thing a simple alarm-system will not do the job anymore, and in all the spec's of the cars I almost never seen alarm-specs of the car....

------------------
David
I don't suffer from insanity.....I enjoy every minute of it!
'67 & '68 camaro SS (1:18)
'69 camaro RS/SS (1:18)
'70 chevelle SS blown (1:18)
'32 deuce coupe (1:18)
only $1800 away from a '67 RS (1:1)
Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaro_crew
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/dl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 07:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

I recently saw an ad for LoJack. Does anyone have it?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech
Brian Cooper

Don't let it out of your sight, and carry a 9mm or bigger at all times loaded with hollowpoints.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 80 Dodge Lil' red Express clone truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 08:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

I don't have an alarm on mine but I do have a hidden switch that grounds my ignition box, preventing it from starting. I am looking at alarms as well however.

------------------
-Randy
Cars:
<A HREF="http://www.camaroclubkc.com/rs1968ss.htm" TARGET=_blank>68 RS/SS BB ragtop
</A>RWHP: 329.4 RWTQ: 398.9
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech

Guys there really is no way to fully protect your ride from auto theft. The best insurance you can have for that case is just that-INSURANCE. If you car is targeted by a professional, it will be taken-fact. They can tow them with a wrecker, bypass car alarms, steering wheel locking mechanisms and anything else that can be thought of. My girlfriend has Lo-Jak on her C5 Corvette which is good but what happens if the car is stolen and then wrecked before it is recovered? Insurance pays for it! Lesson here is this, have your car appraised for current value and then reappraise it every time you make significant changes to it and then have it insured for at least the appraised value. This way you will always be covered. Just my thoughts.

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci./365HP, T-56, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73 gears, 4 whl disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, floor console w/gauge package, center mntd. clock, tachometer
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech

if i told you, i would have to kill you.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 11:15 AM
xodus921

I've seen guys that pull the wire to the coil and take it with them. It may not be the best but it helps....

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM Package- TH350
<LI>2000 Gmc Sonoma - 5-speed 4.10 rear[/list]
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech

Insurance!!!...... Alarms keep honest people honest.....If some sludgehead wants it, Their gonna get it......
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 11:47 AM
Tech Team

i'm not taking any chances with mine, i will do whatever it takes, my uncle works at car toys so he can get me a good alarm, i will also probably get the club and the thing that goes over the brake(can't remember the name) i know it still wouldn't be fully protected, but everything helps. if somebody wants the car bad enough they will do whatever it takes to get the car, i just hope i'm there waiting with a baseball bat!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

I had a car stolen once from my home. That feeling you get in your gut when you go to your car and find its gone and no where in sight is the worst. Luckly for me I found the car 2 weeks later and stole it back. The guy even had enough balls to ask me what I was doing in his car!!! Good thing I didnt have a gun or knife with me or there would be one less car steeling punk in the world.

My advice is to make it as hard to steel (use hidden switches, alarms, locks etc.) and keep the car in a garage or blocked in by other less desirable cars.

Where I live the thing you have to worry about is stereo theft. Just in the last year there have been three stereos stolen from cars in my neighborhood and 4 homes broken into and robbed. So the fact is if someone really wants what you got theyll try their hardest to get it. Just hope your there with a shot gun our .45 when it happens.

------------------
70 Camaro 307cid(350soon) /350th ex. dark purple (dark blue soon) in. black
74 Trans Am 400cid/th400 ex. red in. red power windows
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to tl757
Well JOe is guess its good you didnt kill anyone or you wouldnt be here to enjoy your camaro. I plan on getting that new brake lock thats on infomercials all the time and the club and an alarm and dont park your cars out in the middle of no where in a lot i knwo we dont want scratches and stuff but its better to draw the least amount of protection if you have a choice dont drive it into the city or dont drive it if you know itll be sitting a while.
Tim
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech
John

when I am not driving the car, I hook a taser up to my steering wheel... 200,000 volts baby!

Just kidding.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 04:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boodlefoof:
when I am not driving the car, I hook a taser up to my steering wheel... 200,000 volts baby!

Just kidding.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hope you don't forget to turn it off OUCH!!
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech

My 68Z was stolen and stripped in 1974. Luckily, it had a 283 engine and 273 rear in it at the time (fuel shortage, you know). They did get the original transmission, along with the dog house, front seats and wheels. Declared totaled by the insurance company. Bought it back from them and dragged it home.
Now, I keep a claymore mine under the drivers seat on a time delay fuse. If it isn't deactivated in time.........
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 02, 06:35 PM
xodus921

There is also a version of the "club" that is electrified. Something like 250,000 volts.

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350- Edelbrock Performer RPM Package- TH350
<LI>2000 Gmc Sonoma - 5-speed 4.10 rear[/list]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode