Team Camaro Tech banner

Where to bolt negative battery cable

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Winch 
#1 ·
Here's another dumb one: where is the right place to bolt the negative battery cable on a 68 350?

#2 ·
If I remember right, chevy used one water pump bolt with a stud type head on it. The cable went to the stud.
Go anywhere to the block, but make sure to connect the two small ground straps from firewall to the valve covers.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

#4 ·
David,

Just curious... why do you need the straps from the firewall to the valve covers?? What if you have a strap from the negative from the battery to the fender?? That's the way it is on my car (not that it's right)... but I haven't have any problems with it (yet). I also measured on the firewall and I get ground...

You got me wondering now

Ohayden,

------------------
http://www.350ss.com
1967 Camaro (Toy)
1968 Camaro (Week End Car)
1973 Camaro (Daily Driver)

#5 ·
There are probably a few different places that the "General" put negative battery cables on small blocks. I use the threaded hole on the fuel pump boss - the lower one. It's less conspicuous than the water pump bolt IMO. Don't forget the upper threaded hole on the fuel pump boss must be plugged or oil will leak.

The ground straps are placed at different places to make sure there is good electrical contact across parts of the body and chassis that are isolated with rubber mounts (body mounts and engines mounts mainly). My 68 has braided copper straps from the valve cover to firewall, firewall to frame (by the passenger body mount), and neg batt terminal to the pass fender.

You would think that the ground strap from the valve cover to the firewall is redundant since the negative cable goes to the front of the block, but I think you need a good ground close to the ignition to reduce electrical noise.

#7 ·
So that's what that dufus looking water pump stud is for. I've seen them in the catalogs and thought it might be for the alternator bracket but I've got that all bolted up without it. I was thinking about that fuel pump boss too. Those are the two in front just to the side of the timing chain right? My top one is plugged.
I'm glad you mentioned ground straps. I need a longer one on the drivers side. I hope I can get them at an autoparts store.
Gettin' closer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.