how to take out c clips on a ten bolt chevy - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

how to take out c clips on a ten bolt chevy

Hi

does anyone know how to take out the c clip on a chevy 10 bolt rear end axle shafts? I have taken off all the drum brakes, and drained the fluid. Also I loosened the bolt that holds the pinion shaft. But the pinion shaft does not come out far enough to take out the shafts. Is there any way else or am I doing something wrong? If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks
Jerryt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 01:10 AM
Senior Tech

Re: how to take out c clips on a ten bolt chevy

he cross shaft can be a pain sometimes. just use a soft chisel and a small hammer to gently push it inwards until you can push the axles in and pull the c clips out with a small magnet.
don't turn the gears at all while the cross shaft is pushed out, tho. sometimes the spider gears like to fall out or get out of alignment, but they usually go right back together. it's just easier if they don't fall out.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok

the cross shaft does not come down or go up far enough to push in the axles. Also do I need to take off the backing plate on the rear end to help take off the axles. The main reason I am taking off the axle is because I found rear end fluid leaking near the back left tire. do I need to pull the axle or am I missing something?

Thanks
Jerryt
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

Hopefully, when unscrewed the pinion lockscrew, it was long, say maybe 3 inches. If not, then you must remove the rest of the pin to get diff pinion shaft out.

Once the pinion shaft is out, just push in on the axle and the C-clip will fallout. Remove the axle, leave the backing plate alone, and replace the seal. Assemble in reverse, make sure the shim is behind the pinion gear whne installing the diff pinion shaft.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'With age comes wisdom, but then wisdom ages you even more.' GO CUBS! Other Stuff
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 07:10 AM
Senior Tech
Freddie

The cross shaft will come out. It takes some force sometimes to get it out, but it must come out to get the axles out. Keep trying and you'll get it.

Are you sure that it is gear oil and not brake fluid?

Last edited by big gear head; Jul 2nd, 07 at 07:22 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 08:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I usually push it in about an inch, then rotate the rear so the part that was in is now sticking out. Then just grab it and pull!

The crossshaft really shouldn't be tight.You should be able tog rab it with your greasy fingers and yank it right out of there.

JimM's firstgens.com Camaro Board

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi

Now I am confused. The croosshaft has a bolt about 3 inches long, I loosened it and it wont come all the way out of the housing. The crosshaft also does not come down enough to push in the axles. When viewing the gears the shaft goes north and south. Does the Iinternal gears turn so I can get out the crossshaft? I saw the repair manual showing the crossshaft going from front to back on picture. And also about the fluid being perhaps brake fluid. I checked thats what I tought but it was thick and had that funky gear oil smell. Yuck.

Thanks

Jerryt
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech

Remove the pinion shaft lock bolt completely, it will come out. You will have to rotate the carrier a bit to get in a position that will allow removal.
Now you can position the carrier to a point you can slide the pinion shaft out and get at the c clips without rotating the carrier and disturbing the spiders. If you where looking at the pinion shaft from the wheel, this will be about 1:30-7:30 (o'clock) position, not the 12:00-6:00 or north -south position you describe.
It really shouldn't be difficult, but if the spiders move, you can get them back in with a little fanagling.
When reinstalling the pinion shaft, I like to draw a line on the end of it with a Sharpie to show the position of the hole for the lock bolt
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 10:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Once you have pin shaft out, you push axle in and release clips, you can put the shaft back in place , just to keep any spider gear and or washers from falling out.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok I think I understand now. Sow now I have to loosen up the carrier blts. This is the ones that look like main caps on a engine block correct? And just loosen this carrier enough so I can slide out the cross shaft. Ok now to go out side and check all this out.

Thanks

Jerryt
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 02:43 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

No - you shouldn't have to loosen those bolts (the one that look like main caps). Once the 3" retainer bolt pin is unscrewed and removed (the one that is either 7 or 8mm bolt head) the pinion shaft should come out w/o much effort. Try pushing it forward and then pushing it backward (toward the diff. cover) And keep in mind you don't have to remove it all the way - just enough to allow you to push the axle farter in which will allow C clip fall out or be removed easily with magnet or fingers. I've pulled it out about 2 inches which is enough to allow the axles clearance to be pushed in (don't have to go in very far either). Good Luck
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RS-SS View Post
Once the 3" retainer bolt pin is unscrewed and removed (the one that is either 7 or 8mm bolt head) Good Luck
It's American, er, SAE. It will be either a 3/8 hex head or 3/16 inch Allen wrench for a socket head....LOL, I think, as least the ones I've worked on have been.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'With age comes wisdom, but then wisdom ages you even more.' GO CUBS! Other Stuff
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
Ok I think I understand now. Sow now I have to loosen up the carrier blts. This is the ones that look like main caps on a engine block correct? And just loosen this carrier enough so I can slide out the cross shaft. Ok now to go out side and check all this out.

Thanks

Jerryt
NO!
You must rotate the carrier so the pinion shaft will come out without hitting the case. Read the instructions and position the carrier like the picture.
This should be super simple. Does this help?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
It's American, er, SAE. It will be either a 3/8 hex head or 3/16 inch Allen wrench for a socket head....LOL, I think, as least the ones I've worked on have been.
Uhm - may not - suggest you check again. The retainer pin is actually metric. Anyway.....
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 07, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech

Why are my insert images showing up as links insted of pictures?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode