TKO 600 crossmember fit question. - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Tim

TKO 600 crossmember fit question.

I am almost finished with installing a TKO 600 kit from CC5S in my '67 Camaro.

The issue I am having is that the crossmember bolt slots are about an inch too far forward where the transmission mounts.

Has anybody else had this issue when installing the CC5S kit?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
'67 Camaro RS/SS 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: TKO 600 crossmember fit question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootan67 View Post
I am almost finished with installing a TKO 600 kit from CC5S in my '67 Camaro.

The issue I am having is that the crossmember bolt slots are about an inch too far forward where the transmission mounts.

Has anybody else had this issue when installing the CC5S kit?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
'67 Camaro RS/SS 350
Just give them a call and see what they can tell you. It's probably something simple to solve.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 10:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Any chance you got cross member backwards or mount? have heard this before.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Any chance you got cross member backwards or mount? have heard this before.
You can't put in backwards, as the tran's body would block the center of the x-member. When I first slid the x-member in, I had it backwards, but it was very obvious that it wouldn't fit that way. Being under a car too long can cause orientation problems

69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 01:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
You can't put in backwards, as the tran's body would block the center of the x-member. When I first slid the x-member in, I had it backwards, but it was very obvious that it wouldn't fit that way. Being under a car too long can cause orientation problems
These kits are supposed to be fool proof from CC5s. Was the torque arm milled off? Could you be missing one of the rearward holes? Could you have the wrong engine mount towers? Need to call CC5.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
These kits are supposed to be fool proof from CC5s. Was the torque arm milled off? Could you be missing one of the rearward holes? Could you have the wrong engine mount towers? Need to call CC5.
This ^ was my first guess, but I didn't even want to go there. The biggest drawback of the TKO is not the TKO, but some of the 38yr old "altered" cars they're made to go in. I remember being concerned that I might have floor buckling (supposedly common) and would have clearance issues, but I had room to spare. And then, they give you one allen bolt to use on the tran-BH connection because of tight quarters, but both upper bolts are difficult to reach to torque down.

Although there several things that can cause a problem, the good thing is that they are relatively minor and can be remedied fairly easily.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 02:18 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Bootan67

This has come up before! The easiest way I can explain this is some Camaros have either Nova frames or the holes are stamped like the Nova with a Nova cross member. Just give us a call and we will swap the cross member for a Nova cross member and it will bolt right in. This is not a common issue but we have had maybe two this year so far and about three last year. The problem seems to be with 67 and 68's. The first gen kit is one of our most popular kits so we were very surprised when this first came up.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 02:21 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

I had this problem on my car...the trick is dont tighten anything up.Mine was off about 3/4"...I got the crossmember in and remember its slotted, so is the trans. mount point itself, so I got the crossmember in place,put the bolts in and left plenty on slack with the nuts to allow for movement,then pulled and tugged till I got the mount bolts in...thinking on it I might have done this in reverse...mount bolt snug...then pull and tug till crossmember is aligned...either way if the engine is in the right location the crossmember should have enough play to fit...at least that was my experience
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJim View Post
Bootan67

This has come up before! The easiest way I can explain this is some Camaros have either Nova frames or the holes are stamped like the Nova with a Nova cross member. Just give us a call and we will swap the cross member for a Nova cross member and it will bolt right in. This is not a common issue but we have had maybe two this year so far and about three last year. The problem seems to be with 67 and 68's. The first gen kit is one of our most popular kits so we were very surprised when this first came up.
The Great OZ has spoken

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Tim

Called Classic Chevy and they said that I could have a Nova subframe in my car.
And that they could exchange with their Nova crossmember because the mounting holes are set back an inch.Or I could alter the crossmember they originally sent me in the kit.
I am going to alter this one to save time and be done with it.

But,I do not believe that the car has a Nova subframe.My Camaro has an 10A Oct '66 build date and the subframe is correct for an early build Camaro.Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------
'67 Camaro RS/SS 350
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Bootan67

Who knows what happened at the plant in 1966?? All I can tell you is in this situation we swap the 67-69 Camaro for a 67-69 Nova cross member and it fits? If you want to modify yours it will work but we can send you out one and you can send the other back if you like.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Tim

GmJim

The person I talked to at Classic Chevy said we could exchange the crossmembers.Which involves sending mine back first,then having the replacement shipped to me. I think that would probably be a 2 week turn around.Or I could purchase the replacement.In the mean time I would ship mine back and get a refund for the replacement upon receiving it at Classic Chevy. Seems like alot of messing around,huh?
So that is why I can just modify this one rather than wait another week or two.
I understand that there are differances in these cars and it's no big deal.Thanks

'67 Camaro RS/SS 350
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 07, 08:57 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Your call. As long as you're happy.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 07, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootan67 View Post
GmJim

The person I talked to at Classic Chevy said we could exchange the crossmembers.Which involves sending mine back first,then having the replacement shipped to me. I think that would probably be a 2 week turn around.Or I could purchase the replacement.In the mean time I would ship mine back and get a refund for the replacement upon receiving it at Classic Chevy. Seems like alot of messing around,huh?
So that is why I can just modify this one rather than wait another week or two.
I understand that there are differances in these cars and it's no big deal.Thanks

'67 Camaro RS/SS 350
I had a similar issue with the clutch I purchased from them (But this was my fault), and they offered me the same solution as you've been presented with. Since placing the purchase on a CC wasn't an issue for me, it was a no-brainer for me to order the new one and wait 5 days (CA to GA) to get it. CC5Spd were nice enough to e-mail me, on the spot, a return shipping label (I paid the shipping cost) to ship back the wrong one. Since you live in Ohio, you might get it in as little as 4 days if you opt for them to send you the new x-member.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 07, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Tim

Ok...ok,I give......I will order the replacement crossmember.
But it looks like I will have to wait until Monday to place the order anyhow.I am not going to alter the first crossmember,besides it's a nice piece.

But,has anyone else had this same issue?

Thanks to all for your help and input!

'67 Camaro RS/SS 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode