Hurst Comp. Shifter Rebuild - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hurst Comp. Shifter Rebuild

Hello all.
I am approaching the milestone of installing my M20 in my 69 Camaro and noticed the shifter is in need of some freshening up.

Years ago I purchased the steel bushings used when inserting rods in the trans levers and shifter body levers.

However, I noticed that my shifter uses rubber bushings at the shifter body levers. These rubber bushings are a MESS.

I know GM specified certain differences in the stock shifters used for production cars. Is this one of those changes.

I haven't yet removed the bushings.

Theses rubber bushings I assume are used to dampen vibration.

Are these rubber bushings stock ? Who can supply new bushings ?

Thanks

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Hurst Comp. Shifter Rebuild

Ray,
I'm no expert, but I've worked on some Hurst shifters. I just "freshened" my Comp. + shifter on my 69 M20. You can get the bushings and "s" clip looking things at regular auto parts stores (I used Knecht's). I've seen the bushings in "nylon" and metal, never rubber though.
I believe I used metal and cleaned everything on the shifter and linkage. Then I greased the shifter "guts" and reassembled everything. There is a "spring metal" cover over the guts of the shifter which can be removed for cleaning.
I know this isn't a real rebuild as it doesn't address the actual bushings of the shifter arm mechanisms. Hurst will rebuild them, but it's pretty $pendy. I believe more than half of a new shifter.
Aligning the shifter and arms when reinstalling on the tranny is very important. A little off on the neutral positions can cause problems, even locking up tranny so car won't move. It's not that difficult though. There is a hole in the shifter for a 1/4 inch rod ( I used a drill bit) which lines up the neutral points on all three shifter arms.
Good luck,
John

PS I just reread your post and realize you didn't say if it was a Hurst shifter. That's what 69's came with, so I hope this info is relevant.

69 SS350 Coupe, 4 speed- under construction- "resto-mod"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

John,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my shifter is the original Hurst. I have no clue why the bushings on the shifter levers are rubber.
Another strange thing is it appears the rods were cut and then welded.
I do have a pack of new metal bushings.
Thanks for the tip on spring metal removal to allow cleaning of the guts.
THANKS
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech

I'd go ahead and pull the whole thing apart and do like was mentioned..... clean up all the individual parts then grease 'em and put it all back together. just keep all the shifter arms/plates/washers straight so you get them all stacked up in the right order when you go to put it together again. pretty clever design, those old shifters....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 02:17 AM
Senior Tech
jerry

Heartbeat must sell those rubbers, read this rebuild process
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...e/0#Post410415
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

OEM installations used neoprene bushings for the purpose of making the shifter 'feel' smoother, absorb vibrations.

The nice thing about the metal bushing swapout is they fit the same ID hole. Grease all parts, and as suggested, keep linkage rod alignment between the shifter and trans arm straight.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'With age comes wisdom, but then wisdom ages you even more.' GO CUBS! Other Stuff
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 06:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

original 1969 OEM Hurst bushings were molded on rubber

1970-71 OEM Hurst bushings were a rubber insert that can be replaced

The 70-71 style can be used in the 69 but will not look 100% correct

The rubber replacement bushing may still be available from GM as they were used in many applications into the 1980s
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the comments and for answering the quesion concerning the rubber bushings.

I am a bit nervous about pulling the whole shifter apart for cleaning. The shifter feels smooth at present when I work it on the bench.

I wish a good exploded view of this shifter was available.

Thanks all.

Ray
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 08:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cal

There is an excellent thread on the Yenko website about rebuilding Hurst shifters...
go to www.yenko.net and under Subject...... Technical and Restoration look for 'Rebuilding a Hurst Shifter (Tutorial). It is an excellent explanation of the inner workings of a Competition +.
ZAPPER

1966 L72 2 door post Biscayne bench seat M21 4.10, 16K miles
1968 Z28 RS cowl plenum M21 3.73, fresh 302MO stored 450hp 355/Tremec TKO
1970 SS350 Nova daily driver bench seat M21 replaced with a Tremec TKO
1949 Meteor Pro Street 468/4L80E
1955 Chevy Gasser BBC M22 410's
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I Just verified the steel replacement bushings DO NOT fit in the shifter linkages. The bushing OD is too large.

SO, either I open the linkages up to allow for the steel bushing or find the OEM replacement rubber bushings.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

THANKS for the heads up on the instructions. I will visit the website.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If you're going to pull it apart, take a picture of each piece as you partially pull it out of the assembly. That'll help you get it back together if you can't find an illustration. That's what I did.

It'll take some elbow grease and a good bit of brake cleaner to get the old wax cleaned off everything. I don't know what everyone else is using for lube but I used waterproof white lithium grease.

I'm going to have to put a set of jam nuts on my 1-2 lever because for some reason it keeps wanting work its way out of adjustment. The other two on mine use a threaded pin at the shift arm, the 1-2 uses one that just slides over the linkage arm with a jam nut on each side. It'll drive fine after each adjustment and then all of a sudden its like trying to unlock the DaVinci code to get it out of reverse.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft
www.cmengines.com
'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I will dismantle the shifter and will keep good notes. Still I am puzzled by the rubber OEM rod bushings used at the shifter linkages. The rubber bushings are worn.

The steel replacement bushings do not fit in the linkages. The ID of the bushings is OK as they do slip over the rod buttons, but the OD of the bushing is too large.

Step by Step.

Thanks
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

Enlarge the linkage plates.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'With age comes wisdom, but then wisdom ages you even more.' GO CUBS! Other Stuff
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 04:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

The OEM Hurst shifter levers do not have round holes. They have a hole with 2 slots so the rubber bushings locks in place. The bushings for the aftermarket Hurst will not fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode