I don't have many pictures but, here is the trans hanging on the engine ready to drop in as an assembly.
I would recommend doing this, its a tight squeeze to get the trans mated to the bell adapter.
One thing I wish I had done first is cut off the ears at the mounting edge of the trans. Hard to see in this pic, but there are 3. Two on one side, one on the other, just cut them flat, it will make clearance on the floor better.
I did remove the entire shifter for installation.
And the rubber piece in front of the shifter came off too.
Here is one though the stock shifter opening, you can see how high in the tunnel the trans fits, it fills the entire thing up.
I only had contact with the floor on the front edge of the trans, at the adapter.
I put a 2x4 on top of the trans and pushed the floor up a bit, and the trans tucked right up after a few tries and cutting off the ears.
Here is a commonly asked question, where will the shifter be?
Mine is 6" back from the rear edge of the stock hole in my 67
This is also a lesson in measure twice and cut once.
We used a 4" hole saw (which would have been perfect) but drilled it at 7" DOH!!!
And one more, the stock stick that was supplied with the trans is a bit tall, but not as tall as it looks in pics.
Now for my few random issues I had, not a walk though of the install:
The old headers were just a few years old, and listed by summit as working with a z-bar, went to the manufacturer's site and found the error. So, I should not have needed headers, but summit screwed me.
The T56 only has a speed sensor no hook up for a cable, so you either need a conversion box to drive the cable or a new speedo, I choose the speedo and Autometer sport comp, I already had a Covan's classic cluster with Z-series gauges installed.
I used the stock mechanical clutch linkage, have had no problems with it and set up real easy. I went with mechanical linkage as hydraulic is fairly expensive and from what I have read offers little improvement but the hydraulic throwout bearing can cause problems.
Plus with mechanical linkage I could use a stock bell and Mcleod adapter, VS an expensive scattershield.
The crossmember fabrication was 2 half days of a weekend, but came out great in my opinion. It might be a bit over kill.
We used 1/4" angle to bolt to the factory mount location.
1/2" plate with a 90 bent at the end to get over the exhaust to the center drop for the mount.
1/2" for the vertical pieces of the center drop section
1/8" - 1"x2" box tubing to make the cross piece for the mount
It comes apart in 3 pieces to make installation around the exhaust easy.
Not as heavy as it would seem, but the trans weighs more than 100 lbs.
Gauge cluster before calibrating the speedo.
On the freeway in 6th, actual speed was about 75