bb chevy cross member - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 12, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

bb chevy cross member

this topic has been beaten to death but i have a?.will a turbo 400 crossmember work with a 396 muncie 4 -speed.i have one that is for a turbo 400.i hate to buy one & pay a 129+ shipping if it will work & put transmission in the right spot.i have the correct bb mount stands & motor mounts,i dont care about turbo 400 mount looking correct.& i dont want to cut tab off of 400 transmission mount & move it.i want to just install it not have to move anything.i know i could make it work by moving the mounting tab.is the mounting tab in same place as a bb 4-speed muncie crossmember,or is it in same place as a 350 turbo mount or what is difference between the 400 turbo mount & the bb 4-speed mount.thanks to all who will help anwser my ? .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 12, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: bb chevy cross member

The turbo 400 has it's own crossmember. The reason is because a TH-400 is longer than all the other transmissions used stock in a first gen. Camaro. TH-400's were only put in Big Block's so, the TH400 crossmember's made for a Chevrolet will be offset. Measure where the mounting pad is offset before you install it. I say this because if the pad was centered it would be for a Pontiac Firebird. You will also have to shorten your drive shaft and install a new front yoke on it.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 12, 11:12 PM

Re: bb chevy cross member

I have the one pictured on the very top in a big block car with big block engine frame mounts up front. The transmission mounting tab is centered and not offset. It doesn't appear to have been cut off and moved either. It doesn't line up in mine so what gives? Everything I`ve seen tells me it should. It doesn't line up on the frame either with the engine moved forward, only 2 holes.

Mine's a 400 turbo btw. I wish I had a muncie..lol.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Dynomite, As I said above, if the tab is centered you have a TH-400 crossmember for a PONTIAC FIREBIRD. Many parts places don't know the difference, that is why I said to measure it to be sure that it is offset. You will need to drill the other two holes in your subframe. (1 on each side) The rear most holes should be the ones you will use, and driil the two new holes between the two you have now. (1 on each side)

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Feb 15th, 12 at 12:10 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Apparently not beaten to death enough.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 11:35 AM
Team Member
Jerry G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
Apparently not beaten to death enough.
No not really...always new people coming up that need to know the old answers.

Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Here are The two crossmembers together. The one on the top is the Pontiac part with the pad centered. The one on the bottom is a Chevrolet part with the pad moved 1/2" to the passenger side and shortened 3/4".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode