Team Camaro Tech banner

Installing a TKO 600

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ctcz28 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I am about to install a TKO 600 in my 69. This is a project that seems like it can have a lot of possible pit falls for someone who never installed one before. So my question is...anyone from the York Pa area interested in lending a hand and knowledge who has done this install of a tremec before replacing a Muncie? It would be absolutely much appreciated. Thanks

bob
717-817-2475

#2 ·
Bob, I just did what you are doing not too long ago, and I changed from a small block to a big block at the same time. The swap is straight forward and actually easier for you because you are already set up for a manual transmission. The biggest issue is getting the correct kit for your car. There are several suppliers out there to choose from. I went with a TKO 600 kit from Silver Sport Transmissions. It came with everything for a turn key installation. Their follow up support is fantastic. There are also many here at TC that have done the swap as well that can help walk you through it. The hardest part is bench pressing the transmission into place while you are laying on your back under the car. Definitely a two person job. There is nothing like the first drive after you are done and you get on the highway and drop it into 5th and you are cruising along effortlessly with the flow of traffic at 70mph turning 2000 RPM.

#3 ·
The Muncies are pretty easy to press in and out on your back, but the TKO and T56 may be a different animal and a 2 man job (if 2 can fit under the car at the same time). The link below provides some tips on a reasonably inexpensive HF trans jack that can make it a one man job (as long as the trans doesn't roll off the jack). I think that HF may also offer a more expensive one that has more adjustment. Hope this helps.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/27-tr...650-t56-self-installation-trans-jack-tip.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.