Team Camaro Tech banner

What should I expect to pay for this rearend?

6K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Moonpie 
#1 ·
There is a local guy selling a first gen Pontiac Firebird 12-bolt posi rear end with 3:55 gears. What is a reasonable price for this? He says it has new bearings. It is currently bolted under his 69 Camaro...

#5 ·
Better check it out. As far as I know there were no 12 bolt rear ends installed in 1st gen Firebirds. They all got the 8.2 Pontiac 10 bolt.

A Camaro 12 bolt will go for around $500 to $700 for a bare housing and as much as $2000 for a really nice rebuild rear end with good codes on it.

#9 ·
First gen Firebirds did NOT come with a 12 bolt rear. Since they're basically the same car as a first gen Camaro, I'm 99.999999% sure this rear came from a Camaro.

I'd say that $1500.00 for a ready to bolt in 12 bolt posi rear with recent rebuild and good bearings and seals is a fair price. I'd show up with $1250.00 in cash and see what he says. You can always go up in price.

#12 ·
Well it looks like it IS a Camaro rear end, 12 bolt with BT code. 3:55 gears, built in June 1969.

#13 ·
Not sure about Mobile area, but here in So Cal, I recently saw a '69 Camaro rear that was hacked to fit in a 57 chevy for $1500 on Craigslist. When I do see decent factory Camaro 12-bolts come up on CL they are running $2K-$3K depending on condition and rarity. I'd say jump on this one if you want a factory rear, its not like you see them pop up every day. If this rear runs quiet it will probably be fine without a rebuild anytime soon. If originality is not an issue you might see if you can score a deal on a new aftermarket 12-bolt or 9 inch.

#15 ·
There is also a 10 bolt posi....8.2 I assume available locally here for $750...I thought it was too much.

#16 ·
Keep in mind there are different markets for Camaro rear ends. Someone building a Pro-Touring ( probably would want a different rear anyway) or a clone or a drag car or a run of the mill street machine, to them it is just a H.D. rear end. But to the restoration/ correct numbers -dates crowd, that is a very desirable rear end. That was the standard default rear for a L78 4 speed car. That gear does not come along real often whereas there seem to be more 3.31 & 3.73 that I see come up for sale. Although any G.ratio could be ordered, have rarely seen or heard of a lower h.p. Car with that ratio gear.

#18 ·
OK, so I bought the 12 bolt for $1500. It is really nice and has recently been rebuilt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.