T56 Information - First Generation Camaro Swap - Page 15 - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 224 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 14, 05:27 PM

Re: T56 Information - First Generation Camaro Swap

Hello my first post but I have read a lot over the years.

I have a t56 in with a factory GM bellhousing with a mechanical clutch. adaptor plate and an extended pilot bushing. It was originally a lt-1 t56 but I had a ls-1 input shaft installed professionally at a Chevy dealer. It worked great for several thousand miles but starting making a noise with the clutch depressed. The noise was random. We took it apart to find the pilot bushing was worn allowing slop around the input shaft. Everthing appears to be lined up property. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 224 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 14, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by djss View Post
Hello my first post but I have read a lot over the years.

I have a t56 in with a factory GM bellhousing with a mechanical clutch. adaptor plate and an extended pilot bushing. It was originally a lt-1 t56 but I had a ls-1 input shaft installed professionally at a Chevy dealer. It worked great for several thousand miles but starting making a noise with the clutch depressed. The noise was random. We took it apart to find the pilot bushing was worn allowing slop around the input shaft. Everthing appears to be lined up property. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
"Appears to be lined up properly" or was aligned using a dial indicator?

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #213 of 224 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 15, 03:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

What rear gear should I run? I have a 350 with world products heads (2.02/1.65) valves 480/480 duration cam 280 live desperation. Stock bottom end except forged Pistons. I did not build the motor. Running a Holley 4150 carb that is 650cfm. The motor seams like it has good torque down low.

Currently has a Saginaw 4sp & 2.73 rear end. It is actually not a bad setup as far as street driving goes but the Saginaw is dying and I picked up a DD Performance T56 that is a viper box with upgrades and machined input. Rear tires are ~26" tall.

post #214 of 224 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 15, 10:55 PM
James

T56 Information - First Generation Camaro Swap

I've heard that a 3:30 rear end ratio is optimum. My long gone 99 Camaro came with 3:43s and I always liked the launch from 1st and then the use of 5 and 6 on the freeway.
I mostly saved 6th for 75+ (mph) cruising .

James
68 Camaro Convertible
M-21 Stroked 381 w/ AFR Alum Heads
12 Bolt 4:11s
post #215 of 224 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 15, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsgarage View Post
I've heard that a 3:30 rear end ratio is optimum. My long gone 99 Camaro came with 3:43s and I always liked the launch from 1st and then the use of 5 and 6 on the freeway.
I mostly saved 6th for 75+ (mph) cruising .
With an 3.30 rear end ratio, anyone running a SBC/BBC may as well forget 6th gear and even some LSxs might have a hard time with it.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #216 of 224 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 15, 10:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
With an 3.30 rear end ratio, anyone running a SBC/BBC may as well forget 6th gear and even some LSxs might have a hard time with it.
Agreed. I have 3.73 Posi gears behind my T56 and it seams to be geared perfectly for launch and freeway!

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
post #217 of 224 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 15, 05:14 PM
Tech Team
Bob

I had to do it over again I'd of gone with 4:11 gears I'm idling at 65 in 6th 1200 rpm. I hardly get to use 6th gear.

69 rest-o-mod Marvin's Menace
496 solid roller motor 655 HP, T-56, Hodchkis TVS, Flush Glass, Chrome-less,
tire melter
post #218 of 224 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 15, 10:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

UPDATE:

I went 4.10 and I love it. I'm running an aluminum flywheel and 26.6" rear tires. The 4.10 makes normal driving with that flywheel nice.

I wish I would have sold my lakewood bellhousing and t56 adapter and went with the quicktime bellhousing though. The quicktime would have shortened up the assembly by 1 inch which would have given more clearance for the t56 and probably eliminated any of the massaging I had to do on the tunnel near the bellhousing. It also would have improved the driveline angle as well. I definitely would recommend anyone considering this swap to look past the adapter plate and go with the quicktime housing.
post #219 of 224 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 15, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Thanks for the info Brent! I'm shopping now for T-56 magnum kits and I've got 4.11's in the rear end already. 27" tall tires. Nice to know that it will work out good with my set up! I'm itching to pull the trigger on this, but the bank (wife) says I can't for just a little bit still....something about wanting to have the money first! Whatever!! I always joke around that if I was single and had this car, I would've bought a 572 crate engine the next day on my credit card....good thing I have my wife to keep me in check!! haha!!
post #220 of 224 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 15, 07:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2013 View Post
Thanks for the info Brent! I'm shopping now for T-56 magnum kits and I've got 4.11's in the rear end already. 27" tall tires. Nice to know that it will work out good with my set up! I'm itching to pull the trigger on this, but the bank (wife) says I can't for just a little bit still....something about wanting to have the money first! Whatever!! I always joke around that if I was single and had this car, I would've bought a 572 crate engine the next day on my credit card....good thing I have my wife to keep me in check!! haha!!
My Financial/Social planner "Wife" is invaluable as well! I tell those jokes as well but some times I think they aren't too far from the truth.

I am currently dreaming about an efi setup but my advisor thinks I need to wait. I'm much closer on this one though because she really hates it when the fumes stink up the house.

The T56 is very nice though. I bought a used D&D viper box , new dual friction clutch, 1350 yokes and driveshaft, and just couldn't resist a used 12 bolt. Then I had to do the s10 brakes plus new rear leafs and put the console in which required a gauge change. I ended up putting a factory tach in the dash and bought Equus gauges to put in the console. This thing really snowballed on me.
post #221 of 224 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 16, 06:58 PM
Senior Tech
Ray

Sorry if I missed it. I have a 69 Camaro with a 6.0 and a 4l60E. I looking at one of the kits that comes with pedals down to the D/S. I have a 5.7 harness on the car now. What harness work do I have to do to make it work with a t56 or do I have to do anywork at all? Thanks Ray
post #222 of 224 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 16, 12:41 PM
Jan

Nice information pal
post #223 of 224 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 16, 06:13 PM
Brian

Hello all, I have a few questions about the swap.
I have a 67 Camaro that was 3 on the tree so there is no hole in the tunnel or console.
I can get a 97 lt1 t56 with a new Krupp clutch for $1300
My engine is a 383 sbc external balanced 2pc rear main.
I have found a cenetrforce flywheel for just over $500.
I would like a hydraulic clutch it looks like the stock Ls master an hose and lt1 slave will work ?
What are my shifter options ?
HURST DRIVELINE CONVERSIONS Hurst Blackjack shifters HURST DRIVELINE CONVERSIONS
Hurst 4071005 ?
Does the lt1 t56 put the shifter in a better location or should I get a LS t56 ?
Will the lt1 flywheel work on a one piece rear main l98 I am running right now ?

Last edited by Tuned performance; Dec 18th, 16 at 06:33 PM.
post #224 of 224 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 16, 07:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I have the American Power Train White Lightening shifter and really like it, very short throws between gears, adjustable spring loading. You might look into the reverse lockout module to avoid a mistaken shift into reverse.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, T56 Mag., 4.10
Dynatech, 17" VWW V45's 235/45, 275/40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
keisler, kiesler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode