Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 07, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: T56 Information - First Generation Camaro Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by X33D80 View Post
I have talked to Keisler's and was told the shifter has been relocated with their custom tailhousing to the first gen Camaro location and assured me there will be no cutting of the car's sheet metal plus they added a cable drive for the speedometer. . . .

The T56 with the 2.66 first gear and the double overdrives interests me because my car has the original 4.56 rear gears and a high RPM power range 302 engine. I feel the TKO600 .64 OD is too large of a gap between 4th and 5th gear and the 2.87 first gear is way too low for my 4.56 rear.
That's interesting. If you look at the picture below of the Aftermarket T56 (from Gilbert Chevrolet's site) it looks (without doing precise measurements) as if it's possible to modify the rear tail housing to jam the shifter location up against the main case and get it to fall within the four speed shifter access hole in a first generation F body. I'd ask them for a picture of their modified T56 as see where the shifter falls. If it's against the main case, it'll (again without doing the measurement) likely work; if it's not about as far forward as you can get I'd be dubious. The mechanical drive for a speedometer is nice, as mechanical to electronic adapters are relatively inexpensive if you later go to electronic instruments.

As for 5 versus 6 speeds, I'm with you. I have an LS1 T56 in my current '68 and cruise the local mountains in the 0.74 5th gear. My 4.11's would not be happy at 55-60 in the 1:1 4th gear and a 0.64 top gear wouldn't have any drive off the corners. Yet, I still have a good 0.5:1 cruising gear for freeway travel. I'm sure that going from a 4 speed to an overdrive 5 speed is like night and day, but for flexibility and always having the right gear for current conditions, a 6 speed is pretty nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aftermarket T56.jpg
Views:	1283
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2447  

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I have talked to Keisler's and was told the shifter has been relocated with their custom tailhousing to the first gen Camaro location and assured me there will be no cutting of the car's sheet metal plus they added a cable drive for the speedometer. The T56 with the 2.66 first gear and the double overdrives interests me because my car has the original 4.56 rear gears and a high RPM power range 302 engine. I feel the TKO600 .64 OD is too large of a gap between 4th and 5th gear and the 2.87 first gear is way too low for my 4.56 rear. I would have a "dead zone" between about 40 and 52 MPH in which 4th spins the engine too fast, and 5th spins the engine too slow. The 302 wants no less than ~ 2,000 for cruising. The T56 fifth gear is .74 OD and not as wide a gap from 4th gear and the .50 6th gear would be used for interstate driving. Where I live I would have to drive about an hour just to find a road with speed limits greater than 55 MPH so a lot of my driving will be at the 45 to 55 MPH speeds. I really wish either transmission had a closer ratio with a first gear of the 2.40 range.

Also under consideration is the TKO600 with 2.87 1st gear and .82 5th gear OD and change out the rear gear to 3.73 or 3.90. In the end the total cost for either the T56 or TKO600 plus new rear gears is similar and in the end I feel the T56 gives me a wider range of usable gears.

For the record I presently I have a M21 Muncie 4-speed with 2.20 first gear and no overdrive. My first gear ratio of 10.03 (4.56 x 2.20) seems to work well.
I too have a Z/28 Camaro (1968) with a factory 4.56 and Muncie close ratio. The car is great fun to drive, but is very limited on how far & fast you can go - 4100 RPM @ 75 MPH with 28" tires. I'm researching three different type of over drive transmissions, but not one is perfect to my needs.
1- The Gear Vendor Overdrive would retain close ratio gear spacing, but only reduce my RPM's by @ 75 by 900 RPM to 3200. 4th OD will work fine for the 50-65 MPH range.
2- TKO-600 with a perfect fit while retaining mech clutch/speedo, but again has a very deep 1st gear, no means to reduce RPMs between 50 - 65 MPH.
3- T-56 with 2.66 1st gear, that will fit the original shifter hole, retain mech clutch/mech speedo would be the optimum. I would probably cut new shifter hole in the tunnel if it did not break into the orginal shifter opening and boot mounting ring.

All three have a great produce, but which is the right choice for our application?

Also, Rockland Standard Gear (WWW.rsgear.com) can provide a LS-1 T-56 with a special 5th & 6th ratio which would eliminate the problem of .5 6th gear. The new ratio's would be .8 in 5th and .62 in 6th. Talk with George Kreppen in tech services for more details. The price is $3995 (a bit pricely) but I want to buy the right transmission the first time.

Best of luck.
gman48

It's hard to explain and most people can't understand as they have never driven a 302 Z/28. The quick, high reving small block is alot more fun than major torque monsters. To each their own.
post #33 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 07, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman48 View Post
Also, Rockland Standard Gear (WWW.rsgear.com) can provide a LS-1 T-56 with a special 5th & 6th ratio which would eliminate the problem of .5 6th gear. The new ratio's would be .8 in 5th and .62 in 6th. Talk with George Kreppen in tech services for more details. The price is $3995 (a bit pricely) but I want to buy the right transmission the first time.
What is the "problem" with the 0.5 overdrive 6th gear? IMHO, it's one of the principal advantages of the LS1 T56. The 0.5 overdrive 6th gear effectively knocks your 4.56 back to a 2.28 rear end ratio, good for economy and longer engine life. A 0.62 6th gear effectively makes your 4.56 a 2.83 rear, 25% less efficient. Trust me, with a 4.56 rear, a 0.5 6th gear is not a "problem." Just make VERY sure your driveshaft is well balanced, as it spins at twice the engine speed in sixth gear with a 0.5 overdrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 07, 11:37 PM
Tech Team

I have found some measurements on another site, are as follows:

Shifter Location & Center Consoles
The dead center of the stock 4-speed shifter hole in the floorboard of a 68-69 Camaro happens to be 17 3/8” back and from where the transmission mounts to the bellhousing. Also, the hole is offset to the driver’s side by ¾” from the centerline of the tunnel. 1967 models have the same offset from center (3/4”) but the center of the stock hole is 1 ¼” further forward when compared to the ‘68-69 models. In other words the center of the hole for the ’67 is 16 1/8” back from where the transmission attaches to the bellhousing. So with info provided by mike, the T56 would measure in at 21 5/8" ( 4 1/4 back on the 68,69 & 5 1/2 on the 67 )

When using the stock Tremec shifter, that is included with the transmission, the shifter stub will not be exactly “dead center” in your stock console but it will be very close. By simply unbolting the stock shifter, rotating it around 180*, and then re-installing it on the transmission, you will position the shifter 16.75” back from the front of the transmission. With slight modifications to the floorboard and to the plastic shift tunnel piece (the piece that extends from your console shift plate down to your carpet) this position will work for 67-69 Camaros. These modifications are relatively minor and are effectively undetectable.

Last edited by Jim H; Jan 30th, 07 at 11:50 PM.
post #35 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
What is the "problem" with the 0.5 overdrive 6th gear? IMHO, it's one of the principal advantages of the LS1 T56. The 0.5 overdrive 6th gear effectively knocks your 4.56 back to a 2.28 rear end ratio, good for economy and longer engine life. A 0.62 6th gear effectively makes your 4.56 a 2.83 rear, 25% less efficient. Trust me, with a 4.56 rear, a 0.5 6th gear is not a "problem." Just make VERY sure your driveshaft is well balanced, as it spins at twice the engine speed in sixth gear with a 0.5 overdrive.
IMO, there is a small problem, although it is minor. A 4.56 gear combined with the T56 1st gear is WAYYY too deep. Almost like a granny gear in a truck.

For my motor, and most others, a 3.73 rear gear works best when considering the 1st gear ratio. The problem is, which I think he is referring to, is my 6th gear is useless under 90MPH.

Well, maybe it's not a problem overall. But the State Patrol thinks it is.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #36 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
I have found some measurements on another site, are as follows:

When using the stock Tremec shifter, that is included with the transmission, the shifter stub will not be exactly “dead center” in your stock console but it will be very close. By simply unbolting the stock shifter, rotating it around 180*, and then re-installing it on the transmission, you will position the shifter 16.75” back from the front of the transmission. With slight modifications to the floorboard and to the plastic shift tunnel piece (the piece that extends from your console shift plate down to your carpet) this position will work for 67-69 Camaros. These modifications are relatively minor and are effectively undetectable.
Please note this information concerning the location of the shifter in relation to the stock hole in the first generation F-body relates to the Tremec TKO (and its relatives), NOT the T56 that is the subject of this thread. If you install a T56 expect to cut a new hole for shifter access.

The dimensions on the locations of the stock shifter holes are useful. The center of the forward access plate on the Viper T56 that's in my shop is 13" from the front of the transmission and dead center. Because (SFAIK) all T56's share a common main case, this measurement will hold true for other T56's as well. If this forward access point were used for a shifter, and assuming the McLeod adapter kit were used, the center of the shifter would be 13.5 inches from the rear of the bellhousing and dead center in the transmission tunnel. That's about 3" too far forward. The stock shifter location point on my Viper T56 (which is about the same as the Aftermarket T56 and several inches forward of the LS1/LT1 T56 shifter mounting point) is 20" from the rear of the bellhousing. Thats about 3" too far back. FWIW, the mating surface between the tail shaft and the main case on the T56 about 15.25" from the front of the T56 (15.75" if using the McLeod adapter kit), making any custom tailshaft relocating the shifter for use with the stock shifter hole in a first generation F-body an interesting engineering problem.

post #37 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver69Camaro View Post
IMO, there is a small problem, although it is minor. A 4.56 gear combined with the T56 1st gear is WAYYY too deep. Almost like a granny gear in a truck.

For my motor, and most others, a 3.73 rear gear works best when considering the 1st gear ratio. The problem is, which I think he is referring to, is my 6th gear is useless under 90MPH.

Well, maybe it's not a problem overall. But the State Patrol thinks it is.
Two slight quibbles.

I drove my '68 for about 2 years with a 2.97 first gear Aftermarket T56 and 4.11's (overall gearing of 12.2:1) which is virtually identical to a 4.56 and an LS1 T56's 2.66 first gear (overall gearing of 12.13:1). Was it steep? You bet! Too steep? Not really. Using a 26.6" rear tire, a 4.56 rear - 2.66 first gear combo would be doing about 40mph at a 6,000 rpm redline. By way of comparison the same car with a 3.73 rear will be doing about 48mph at a 6,000 rpm redline. I made the swap to the LS1 T56 to get the 0.5 overdrive. Reducing the overall gearing in first gear was simply a side benefit.

As for 6th gear, again assuming a 26.6" tall tire, a 0.5 sixth gear - 3.73 rear combo would be turning about 1650 rpm at 70mph. For my mild 350, that's pretty much a very nice cruising rpm. I noted in the original post that "a car with a radical cam will need a rear gear at the higher end of the range." If your car can't cruise in 6th gear at anything less than 90mph (roughly 2,100 rpm) then I'd say you qualify for the "radical cam" disclaimer. I'd guess most of us have engines that could quite happily cruise at 1,600 to 1,700 rpm.

I don't care what transmission people use in their cars, I'd just like to make sure they get accurate information on which to base their decisions.

post #38 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 02:34 PM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Quote:
If your car can't cruise in 6th gear at anything less than 90mph (roughly 2,100 rpm) then I'd say you qualify for the "radical cam" disclaimer.
Yeah, that was me. My motor kicked and bucked with the high load at low RPMs.

My LS motor should be just fine.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #39 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 06:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Just make VERY sure your driveshaft is well balanced, as it spins at twice the engine speed in sixth gear with a 0.5 overdrive.
The overdrive transmission won't change the drive shaft RPM's at any given speed, just reduce your engine RPM's. You are correct in that a 4.56 geared car will be spinning the drive shaft very fast if you are going 90 MPH and a well balanced drive shaft would be a must.
I have found this thread to be very interesting and I thank Mike for initiating it with his really valuable information. Since my 302 CI engine doesn't like to "cruise" below about 2,000 RPM and I really don't want to change the rear gears the T56 at Keisler's seems to be my best choice, but it is pricey. That T56 with the .80 & .62 OD really sounds even better but I don't think it would install without cutting sheet metal. I wonder if Keisler's offers O/D options....
On Keisler's web site they show the T56 with a new bell housing. I wonder if their bell housing is shorter than a standard GM unit? That would place the shifter closer to the original tranny tunnel opening. But on another link it says "All of our T56 6-speed units are custom engineered for direct bolt up to Muncie and Borg Warner T10 clutch bellhousings". I just might have to make another phone call and chat with them some more.
http://keislerauto.com/gm/transmissi...67-69_6spd.asp
At about $4,500 including shipping charges this transmission is currently just on my wish list, plus I still need to first finish building my car. In the mean time I can keep researching and make the best selection for my application at a later date.
Keep the chatter coming, it's good stuff.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; Jan 31st, 07 at 06:40 PM.
post #40 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 07:18 PM

I'm certainly happy I found this site (my 3rd posting). Knowledegable individuals with a good exchange of information and ideas. Many thanks to everyone.

There isn't a problem with a .5, 6th gear in the correct application. The problem is, I don't believe my 302 engine can't pull me down the interstate at 2,100 RPM at 75 MPH. That is due to the lack of torque and not the .5 gearing. The lack of torque is common with the Z/28 302 motors, but it makes up for it in other ways. I actually have to slip the clutch a little to get me Z moving even with the 4.56. I need the LS1 with 2.66 first gear and not the 2.97 that would be wayyyy to deep. Another option could be a milder cam to boost torque, but may hurt my high end RPM.

My next step is to see if RS Gear will upgrade Keisler's T56, if I indeed can't pull down at 2100 RPM. If this mod can happen a later date, then it seems like the best thing to do is purchase the Keisler package and install it and cross my fingers that it will pull OK. If not, I can always upgrade if needed later.

My car is complete, running and I want to install some type of OD before summer. Many thanks again for listening (reading) and your input!!!
More to follow! What is there to do on a cold winters night is IOWA?
gman48
post #41 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
On Keisler's web site they show the T56 with a new bell housing. I wonder if their bell housing is shorter than a standard GM unit? That would place the shifter closer to the original tranny tunnel opening. But on another link it says "All of our T56 6-speed units are custom engineered for direct bolt up to Muncie and Borg Warner T10 clutch bellhousings". I just might have to make another phone call and chat with them some more.
I've tried to figure out what Keisler is doing by looking at their website with no success at all. They bounce back and forth between TKO's (which, SFAIK, present no shifter hole issues for first generation F-bodys) and T56's (which do). The picture they have of the T56 in the "Perfct Fit" kit looks like it's using an Aftermarket T56 tail shaft housing. If that's the case, they need to make up about 3" to get the shifter dead center in the '68-'69 shifter hole, based on the 17.375" dimension given earlier in this thread. I'm not sure that can be done. I did note this comment in connection with the T56 "Perfect Fit" kit for first generation F-bodys: "Custom designed shifter tower and tailhousing modifications to fit your floor tunnel without cutting. If tunnel modifications are required, we offer templates and formed sheet metal for easy installation." It's either "perfect fit" or it's not.

I think if it was important to me not to cut my transmission tunnel, I'd want to see how they get the shifter to the correct position, or talk to a customer who installed one without cutting. The absence of any picture of the means by which they get the shifter to the correct location raises questions for me, as does their refusal to provide installation instructions on-line to protect "proprietary" information. Color me a skeptic.

post #42 of 224 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 07, 08:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I wonder if they are sourcing modified tail housings from Jags That Run. But their mods might just add mech speedo drive.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #43 of 224 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 06:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
I talked to Keisler's again today. Their kit to fit the Camaro's existing shifter opening includes the bell housing and hydraulic shifter setup. Their kit that bolts to the GM bellhousing requires cutting a new shifter hole in the transmission tunnel. I guess it depends on how much you respect your original sheetmetal.

Also, he informed me that the 450 HP tranny with 2.87 first gear has the .80 & .62 O/D and the 650 HP tranny with 2.66 first gear has the .74 & .50 O/D gears. The "original fit" kit is the 650 HP tranny.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #44 of 224 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 06:51 PM

Check out this website- http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ion/index.html

This is a copy of the article that Chevy Hi-Performance ran several years back on the making a tougher T56 by Rockland Standard Gear (RS Gear). One of the small pic's showed a side view of a T56 with what appeared to have the shifter location slide all the way forward on tail housing. Upon enlarging, I found more pic's and one with a close up of the two different tail housing. Don't say what there for, but they do exist.
gman48
post #45 of 224 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 07, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman48 View Post
Upon enlarging, I found more pic's and one with a close up of the two different tail housing. Don't say what there for, but they do exist.
If it's the picture of the two tail housings, side by side, the tailhousing with the shifter closer to the botton of the picture is a standard Viper tailhousing, which puts the center of the shifter 20" from the rear of the bellhousing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
keisler, kiesler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode