2Likes
  • 1 Post By ImmDanny
  • 1 Post By arocars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 17, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Best upgrade for better cooling in AZ?

So I live in Phoenix AZ and if any of you don't know it gets hot in the summer. I still like to drive the car around but I'm afraid of overheating when in slower traffic due to it being 100+ degrees out. Right now I have stock radiator and clutch fan and shroud. What would be my best option to amp it up a little? Bigger radiator? Duel electric fans? The engine is a 350 in case that makes a difference. Pretty stock car so Im assuming it makes whatever horsepower those made when they came out.
VitaminC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 04:45 AM
Senior Tech
Chet

Re: Best upgrade for better cooling in AZ?

NOTHING. Make sure that what you have is in tip top shape. The factory designed cooling system is the best there is, especially for a stock 350. Have a radiator shop make sure your radiator core is free flowing and not stopped up. Make sure your clutch fan clutch is functioning. That is it.

69 SS clone, fathom green, TMI sport seats, 200r4, 3.42 posi rear end, IROC steering box, SPC control arms, koni shocks.. Future mods include bolting on the Profiler heads, FIRST TPI, and roller cam sitting in the garage
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 04:49 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

it does heat up, OR you'r afraid it might
if it is an original radiator have it rodded and cleaned
when in slow traffic keep as much space between you and the car in front as possible

sound track of my 68 383

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 05:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Might opt for a two or three row flat tube aluminium with your fan clutch and shroud.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 06:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

An aluminum radiator is the easiest and best single upgrade that you can make to improve your cooling.

1969 SS Garnet Red X55 350 Factory 4 speed
12 Bolt 3.55 Posi
461 BBC TKO600
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

x3. Keep your original radiator configuration.
1968RallySport likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 07:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by arocars View Post
x3. Keep your original radiator configuration.
X4 Make sure you steer away from those off shore radiators. I recommend Enthropy, as I have had one over 5 years trouble free but I do feel Griffin is the best. Enthropy was or still is a TC sponsor .

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefiness View Post
NOTHING. Make sure that what you have is in tip top shape. The factory designed cooling system is the best there is, especially for a stock 350. Have a radiator shop make sure your radiator core is free flowing and not stopped up. Make sure your clutch fan clutch is functioning. That is it.
The radiator is fairly new only a few years old at this point so it should be running at 100%.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
it does heat up, OR you'r afraid it might
if it is an original radiator have it rodded and cleaned
when in slow traffic keep as much space between you and the car in front as possible
Well what is too hot? I don't like when it goes above 180. But sometimes if I have been driving for a while and then hit traffic it can go just a little past 200.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 12:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

My old 406 would hover around 200 in traffic in the phx summer heat. Never boiled over though. That was with clutch fan, stock shroud and a griffin alum radiator. I know someone in Phx you could talk to on that, shoot me a pm and I'll get you his contact info.

67 RS
Royal Plum/Parchment
6.0 LSX 4L80e

06 corvette Z06
machine silver
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 06:39 AM
Retired
Jim

Dont over fill that radiator either, there should be a small bump our line in the metal, down inside the opening below the cap, dont fill above that line at all. These are closed systems and the fluid needs space in the system to expand when it gets hot. By staying below that line, your fluid can get warm but still do its job nicely. No need for fancy 'upgrades' unless you are rebuilding the engine into a power house. We drove our Camaro on several 2500 mile round trips, then local short trips, never overheated. Modern systems have 'catch cans' or 'overfill' buckets. Our Camaros dont have that type of system.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode