67-8 Round and Square:

67-8 Round and Square and 69 Rears:

Best of 1.55 - 11.57@114.33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 04, 09:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

I have never seen the rounded top cannisters before. Interesting.

-Randy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 04, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

They were in my 67 ragtop.

I guess I could have yanked the front shakers out of the 69 to show a complete collection, but I was feeling a little lazy today!

post #34 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 04, 11:55 AM
Team Member
John

The innards are a cast iron weight with some holes in it, with coil springs above and below that keep the weight centered up-down in the cylinder, and it's filled with ATF; vibration causes the weight to move up and down slightly against the spring load (the ATF flows back and forth through the calibrated holes in the weight), which damps out certain frequencies.

My Chassis Line at Willow Run filled and installed them in Corvairs in the mid-60's, and the same basic devices were used in the Camaro/Firebird later on, with different calibrations developed to respond to their unique body structural harmonic vibration frequencies. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z/28 Fathom Green
post #35 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 04, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech

Paul,
You have amassed a small fortune!!! See 'em off and retire!!!

Steve W
1968 Camaro Convertible
1966 GTO Convertible
1995 Harley Road King
"You can't always get what you waaant..."

post #36 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 04, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

LOL! Ya I probably should sell them as all they do is sit in the attic and collect dust along with the other junk up there like my GM 69 ragtop quarters, etc.

My problem is that I always think that I should keep them just in case I ever decide to restore another camaro ragtop.

post #37 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 04, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Well, here is something that is nuts....

I've got a '67 Vert, but must have been made late in the production year. It had plastic seat backs, GM logo plastic seat belts, it was a 6 cyl with a console 3 on the floor, had the 'Pacesetter' kit, and was a Norwood car registered late in the year in Calif. with orig black plates. VNV144. I've only seen 1 other '67 that had later plates.

The kicker is that I have 1968 front shakers in the car! That is the way it came. We've had this car in the family since '69 and it was bought from a family friend.

Go figure.

John
Camaro Purgatory

67 BB Vert - in pieces
67 RS SS - in pieces (but less than before)
67 Pieces - in pieces
post #38 of 115 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 04, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

And the Pontiac engineers were too busy designing the bird design for the side marker lights

[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

69 cranberry red convertible
LT1 4L60E NY "BADASELL"
post #39 of 115 (permalink) Old May 28th, 04, 01:23 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

can shakers go bad? i have a 69 with all shakers,floor brace . tires seem fine and i still have shimmy going down the road
post #40 of 115 (permalink) Old May 28th, 04, 08:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
Originally posted by bills69:
can shakers go bad?
Wow - good question.

As "JohnZ" discribes, and is in this and other 'cocktail shaker' posts, they are filled with ATF. The fluid is not subjected to friction, high heat or contamination as is the case with other fluid applications in the vehicle so it should not "wear out".
I would have to think the springs would be the only thing that could change, or break, that would effect their operation. I have never found a "bad" one - just cars without them that have the common 'cowl shake' much worse than normal.

I would recommend you check the wheels and tires carefully for run-out and balance.
After replacing all the body mount bushings in mine I had a four wheel thrust alignment done to be sure I got the front and rear wheels all "co-operating" in getting the car down the road straight.
Replacing the body bushings (with OEM type) did help with road isolation to some extent. You may want to inspect yours carefully, they may be so old and hard they are not helping anymore.
I would also recommend you stay away from "Poly" bushings anywhere in a convertible if you are worried about ride and road noise.

JMHO - hope others chime in with comments/suggestions.

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #41 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 04, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech
David

I'm sorry if I missed it, I've read through this a couple of times, but will the fronts from a '68 fit a '69???

David

post #42 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 04, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Ummmm....damn, I knew that I should have pulled the fronts out of the 69 for comparison. I thought that only the rears were different, but to be honest I really don't remember if the fronts are different too.

post #43 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 04, 08:43 AM
Tech Team

69 fronts are different....the legs are different than 67-68's.

Doug
post #44 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 04, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech
David

Thank you.

David

post #45 of 115 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 04, 03:38 PM
Tech Team

Ever try driving your Camaro without
the front cocktail shakers? The guy
who painted my car suggested I take
them off. Damn did it handle like crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode