Cocktail Shakers - Page 4 - Team Camaro Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 116 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 04, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech

A little off topic but -- What are the two threaded holes (one on each side) for that are just in front of the rear cocktail shakers for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 116 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 04, 03:42 AM
Tech Team
Jim

The dampeners on my '68 Firebird have a different bracket arrangement that use both holes. See: http://www.geocities.com/jims68fb/Trunk.html
Jim
post #48 of 116 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 04, 05:41 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
It can sure allow for the shakers to be installed wrong as well as the wrong shakers to be installed. I don't know the body work history of my ragtop other than it had it's orig body color before it was painted white. Is that correct to have the extra hole in '69?

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #49 of 116 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 04, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech

My '69 has them also and the "shakers" look the same also. Given that the '68 Firebird used them, I would guess they were a hold over.
post #50 of 116 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 04, 05:00 AM

Along the lines of the Firebird vs. Camaro topic:

My 69 RS/SS Conv was built in Sep 68 in Van Nuys. It has a Firebird jacking instructions sticker on the decklid, and the deluxe Comfortweave interior has a Firebird rear seat bottom. I'm not sure if the Firebirds were also built on the same line - can any of you Pontiac guys verify this?

Also, my 67 RS/SS Conv has been missing all 4 cocktail shakers as long as I've owned it - I guess the previous owner thought the extra weight would detract from the car's "performance". I have noticed a bit of a shimmy right between 35 - 45 MPH. I always ascribed this to a wheel balancing issue, but the posts here have me thinking. Has anyone out there observed the "harmonics" that these are designed to cancel firsthand? Does my description fit?

Thanks! BTW - Does anyone have a set of 67 rears that they want to unload?

Tom
post #51 of 116 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 04, 02:47 AM
Tech Team

rsss396rag, My '67 convertible shook
like a leaf when going over railroad
tracks without the cocktail shakers.
It also lacked stability. I'd steer and
the car had no direction. Without a
doubt put them back in before you try
to diagnose vibration issues.
post #52 of 116 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 04, 09:38 AM
Senior Tech
Al

There's a lot of info in this thread, and I may have missed it, but for a 69, do the RS front shakers differ from the Standard ? TIA!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 116 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 04, 04:15 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

I think that the same shakers are used for both RS and standard. If anyone knows different, please correct me.

I do know that I gave a set of 67-8 fronts to my friend who has a 68 RS and they fit right in. The ones that I gave him were no different than my other 67-8 fronts.

Best of 1.55 - 11.57@114.33
post #54 of 116 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 04, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech

late to the thread but ....

"bills69 posted 05-28-2004 03:23 AM *** ** ** * * * ** **
can shakers go bad? i have a 69 with all shakers,floor brace . tires seem fine and i still have shimmy going down the road "

tires are a BIG item people overlook

my dad had a Falcon convert that always shook, the tires were nearly full tread

the tires were "square" from sitting so long

new tires solved his 5 year journey of hell from balancing, etc

I am a big fan of FRESH tires as I know from racing what time and heat cycles do to racing tires, that same situation applies to street tires

We change out our daily drivers tires every year to a year and a half due to time and the heat cycle effect they endure

(some people are very happy to get our nearly new, nearly full tread tires used, but *I* know that their grip is compromised)

Just recently I saw a early 70's Corvette show up at an autox and it was on the 2nd gen BFG Radial T/A's, not made for 30 years!!!! And he drove it there 25 miles.

Due yourself all a favor and DO NOT drive your car on "old" tires just because the "look ok"

======

2nd remark regarding this thread, the cocktail shakers were used on the Ford unibody products as follows: Thunderbird converts, Lincoln 4 door converts (not sure about the 58-60 converts) and the 66-67 Fairlane and Comet convertibles (Not sure if the 68-68 Fairalne/Comets used them). Why they didn't use them on the Falcon and Mustang / Cougar converts is not known.
post #55 of 116 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 04, 01:41 PM
Tech Team

Question

So now that i've been driving my car. I think need cocktail shakers. In a few speed bands 40-50 mph, 25~30 I get the feeling like a tire is out.

One of my tires maybe out of round but, it feels harmonic.

So where do you get them and are they only best way to control this?

TIA

drewbird911
post #56 of 116 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 04, 06:28 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

drew,

Check ebay. They've been pretty cheap there recently.

1967 rs conv. hugger orange, 350 engine, former turbo 350 tranny-now SUPER T-10!!

1969 blue SS 'vert, 350 engine, 4 spd

post #57 of 116 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 04, 12:32 AM
Senior Tech

There are several ways to help the "cowl shake" that comes with some of these cars.

Of course the cocktail shakers have to be in place. As long as they have not leaked I would asssume that they are still dampening. But, these cars are floppy to start with and anything you do to build in rigidity will help.

Having new springs, heavy duty shocks, oversized roll bar, X panel, and moreover graphite impregnated urethane body and suspension parts all help aleviate this problem.

My 69 has all the above and doesn't shake one ioda! Also, subframe connectors would help.

psss. RS and regular models are no different in the cocktail shaker department.

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #58 of 116 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 04, 03:59 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

I would also add that your subframe has to be solid. When I pull my subframes I spend a good amount of time checking them and fixing anything that looks suspect. I'll even weld the seams where the factory didn't weld just to insure that everything is strong.

Another thing that I found on my 67 was that a couple of welds were broken on the dash. If I wouldn't have fixed those the dash would have definitely had a little play while driving.

Best of 1.55 - 11.57@114.33
post #59 of 116 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 04, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech

Hi All:
Early on in this thread, the part numbers were posted for all the First Gen Camaro and Firebird front and rear shakers. Great info. But....can anyone tell me exactly where this part number is located on the shaker???

Thanks!!

Dan
'68 Convertible

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

post #60 of 116 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 04, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech

My Fault...
Those were only Firebird part numbers...

Anyone have the Camaro part numbers?

Dan
'68 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode