Cocktail Shaker Confirmation - Page 4 - Team Camaro Tech
Convertibles Convertible Q&A's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 15, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Cocktail Shaker Confirmation

Does anyone have a picture of a full set of 67s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 15, 03:49 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Here are some pics I found. Not confirmed though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-68-CAMA...FWP4UK&vxp=mtr

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Convertible (just arrived)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 15, 03:54 PM
John

Garage

If I do the Hotchkis TVS System with the brace do I still need/want cocktail shakers?

69 Z28
69 LS7/T56 Pro Tour #2(BUILDING)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 15, 04:02 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
If I do the Hotchkis TVS System with the brace do I still need/want cocktail shakers?
I was also thinking of the Hotchkis TVS. In short John, I think yes. Correct me if I'm wrong , I haven't seen a TVS system designed specifically for convertibles.

post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 15, 04:27 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
I was also thinking of the Hotchkis TVS. In short John, I think yes. Correct me if I'm wrong , I haven't seen a TVS system designed specifically for convertibles.
My understanding is the shakers were designed to compensate for weaker frames on the vert.

So that's why I'm thinking if I do the upgrades do I still need shakers?

http://www.hotchkis.net/product/67-6...-tvs-hotchkis/

http://www.hotchkis.net/product/1967...k=&yr=&md=&sm=
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 15, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech
Al

They were designed to cancel out some weird harmonics due to the overall wimpier aspect of not having a roof. The convert unibody is actually stronger than a coupe in acouple of key places, but the coupe roof/cage more than makes up for it.

I had all 4 shakers in with more-or-less the TVS plus welded SFCs for several years. When I redid my trunk a few years back I removed all four as kind of an experiment. I have not noticed any change at all. Approx 100lbs sitting on the shelf too. Your call though.

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 15, 05:29 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

I think Al summed it up pretty well. I always thought the shakers were developed in an attempt to eliminate vibration. I just saw the TVS link you posted John as well. Is it only due to the SF connectors and X brace that make it for a convertible ?

post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 15, 06:08 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
They were designed to cancel out some weird harmonics due to the overall wimpier aspect of not having a roof. The convert unibody is actually stronger than a coupe in acouple of key places, but the coupe roof/cage more than makes up for it.

I had all 4 shakers in with more-or-less the TVS plus welded SFCs for several years. When I redid my trunk a few years back I removed all four as kind of an experiment. I have not noticed any change at all. Approx 100lbs sitting on the shelf too. Your call though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
I think Al summed it up pretty well. I always thought the shakers were developed in an attempt to eliminate vibration. I just saw the TVS link you posted John as well. Is it only due to the SF connectors and X brace that make it for a convertible ?
IDK. I just bought the 67 vert (project car)and it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. My interest and major concern as always was the body and paint. (A team camaro member checked it out for me on Ohio) It's RS/SS 396 car with a period correct rebuilt 396 and a TH400 not in the car. Mostly complete with boxes of parts and I don't know what's for sure in the boxes.

I've not fooled with verts but I know if it needs the shakers and I don't have them they are somewhat expensive. I'd rather put the money into the X-bracing and frame connectors.

After I get the car maybe I'll post up a thread to see how many guys think they are needed or if they even do anything at all.
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 15, 01:09 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

OK John, My original two in the rear are still there, as well as one in the front. I would like to keep them installed.

post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 15, 02:53 PM
Tech Team
Lyle

I'm curious about what others experience has been with them as well. My car didn't have them when I got it and between the rumble of the engine and the roar of the road I've never noticed any unusual vibrations. I've always been somewhat skeptical of the need for anyone but a purist but that said I'm no engineer and would be interested to hear what others believe and have experienced.

1969 Camaro Convertible
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 15, 03:18 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat View Post
I'm curious about what others experience has been with them as well. My car didn't have them when I got it and between the rumble of the engine and the roar of the road I've never noticed any unusual vibrations. I've always been somewhat skeptical of the need for anyone but a purist but that said I'm no engineer and would be interested to hear what others believe and have experienced.
When these cars were bought and driven daily there indeed was a need for the dampeners. Without them, bolt on items like mirrors, door handles, dash parts, sun visors etc. would come loose from the harmonics of the body without the bracing of the roof structure.

I have seen 1st hand the effects of no dampeners. I test drove a very nice ragtop that the owners wife used every day. It rattled and everything was loose; when I asked the owner he said he couldn't keep anything tightened down... More looking I noticed the canisters were not in the trunk. The owner quickly said "they were the easiest 100lbs he ever removed from a car". A little more talking and it seems the car didn't always have a problem with everything coming loose. The owner was scratching his head after I suggested the 2 things were associated.

The factory wouldn't have added them if they weren't needed. As a weekend fun car it might take 10 years to put a years worth of wear and tear on a car. A loose mirror after 10 years isn't critical but if it happened the first year it would certainly be back to the dealership for warrantee work.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 15, 08:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Has anyone taken pictures of all the shakers available and labelled them correctly. That is:
67-Firebird Fronts, rears left, right etc
68-Firebird Fronts, rears " " "
69-Firebird Fronts, rears
67 Camaro Fronts, rears left, right etc.
You get the drift.
I have 11-12 on my shelf but after researching, I'm still not sure what I have or which are which

67 Camaro RS350SS (already restored) 68Convertible(future project)

68 Coupe(restoring)On hold
Gave to friend.

67 Convertible (restoring)

67 Coupe(parts car for now)

72 Chevelle Malibu

2-69 Jaguar xke roadsters (appeasing the wife)

post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 15, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech

That's why I asked the question earlier. I also have 8-10 of these and I don't think any are correct for a 67. I don't see any part numbers on them so I think the only way you can tell whether or not they are correct is through pictures.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 16, 07:50 AM
brenda

Well it sure seems that theses things are a big mystery. 67-68 Camaro are supposed to be the same. 67-68 firebird are supposed to be the same and 69's are supposed to be different. Well I have a 68 Camaro convertible and bought a set of 68 Camaro cocktail shakers. Problem is there is no place to bolt in the top. Located a weld nut at top of the quarter panel support just like they have in 69 camaros. After a lot of research found that this was a test car that event to warren mi. Test facility. Several 69 only parts installed in this car also. So now I have 68 shakers and 69 mounts.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 16, 10:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

I'm restoring my '67 05B NOR convertible so the shakers are out of the car. Here is a picture showing them standing with the right shakers on the right and left on the left. Let me know if you need more detailed pictures.
Note: the left side shakers show what looks like a middle arm but it is a shadow from the sun.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shakers.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	138697  

67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Under restoration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode