Pilot Bushing Stuck...and.... - Team Camaro Tech
Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Pilot Bushing Stuck...and....

I'm drained. I'm trying to remove the brass bearing/bushing where the trans. goes into the flywheel. I read about different methods, and since I wasn't able to get my hands on a pilot bearing puller, I tried the "packing" method using grease and pounding an 11mm socket (fit the hole the best). Well, as I feared...not only did the bearing not move (as far as I could tell), but the socket is now jammed in there nice and tight. I had been pounding, packing grease, pounding, packing etc... and was able to get the socket out each time (had it attached to a 1/4" hand nut driver) ......until the it finally got stuck. Of course, the driver handle pulls right out, so I tried using a bolt, using the threads as a way to grab/pull the socket, but to no avail. I even tried packing more grease into it and using a wood dowel....but nothing.....

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to something like this. I'm hoping you guys will laugh and tell me I'm not screwed ........and then tell me how I can get not only the socket, but the bushing out, as well. And now I'm guessing I couldn't use a bearing puller until I get the socket out?

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 03:22 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast
Re: Pilot Bushing Stuck...and....

Those bushings are fairly brittle. Drill some holes in it and take a hammer and chisel to it. It will break-up pretty easy.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech

well, that sucks

I guess I would try to grab the socket with a pair of vice grips and wiggle it loose so you can pull it out

and I am no good at getting pilot bushings out I wish you the best of luck
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 03:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

If you can get the socket out, and you don't mind spending a little money, a tap that's slightly larger than the ID of the pilot bearing (IIRC a 5/8" tap) does a great job as a puller. Check the OD of the very end of the transmission input shaft to confrim the size of the tap.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

http://imageshack.com/a/img745/1637/0NP8Y4.jpg
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 03:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Also, if you can find a pipe easy out and bite it from the inside , it should bust or come out. Use a pipe wrench if you have to.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=115_1577.jpg
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by go2fast View Post
Those bushings are fairly brittle. Drill some holes in it and take a hammer and chisel to it. It will break-up pretty easy.
I'm thinking that with the socket in the way (good 1/4" down past the end of the bearing) that your idea may not work, as the jammed socket would help keep the integrity of the bushing together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post
well, that sucks

I guess I would try to grab the socket with a pair of vice grips and wiggle it loose so you can pull it out
See above ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
If you can get the socket out, and you don't mind spending a little money, a tap that's slightly larger than the ID of the pilot bearing (IIRC a 5/8" tap) does a great job as a puller. Check the OD of the very end of the transmission input shaft to confrim the size of the tap.
Hmmm...this might be a good way to get both out. First the socket, and then try your idea with the bushing. I actually have a tap set (never really used, lol) and might have a tap big enough. Will have to go see.

Before I even attempted this I called "GM Jim" (since I'll be installing a TKO-600) and he suggested a $20 (S&H inc.) bearing puller from a company called Springer Tool, but I wasn't able to locate them via Google. Believe me, I would gladly have paid $20 in advance than trying a method I knew would be messy and a PIA. But I didn't want to pay the $$$ at a local parts store for a 1 time use tool, you know? And btw, in removing the old tran & clutch, I called to ask Jim about a couple of things ahead of time....and he is absolutely a fantastic guy. Great knowledge, patience, and manner. I'll be doing a short write-up in the Transmission forum after I get this thing completed, just for some others to get a novice's perspective of the level of difficulty.

69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
Also, if you can find a pipe easy out and bite it from the inside , it should bust or come out. Use a pipe wrench if you have to.
Not sure what one is. But also, could this work with a socket still jammed in it?

I should add....I'm showered and done for today, lol. I will attack the beast with any and all ideas tomorrow.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 04:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx1969 View Post
Not sure what one is. But also, could this work with a socket still jammed in it?

I should add....I'm showered and done for today, lol. I will attack the beast with any and all ideas tomorrow.
No this easyout will not work on the socket but a good 18" pipe wrench with good jaws should bite socket if chrome is not heavy. Cant you tap socket side to side and jar out? 3/8" or 1/2 socket. You could also try dumping a can of freon , 134, on socket slow with a valve attached and maybe shrink socket enuff to get loose?

A pipe easy out is a square bladed thingy that comes if many sizes, you tap square end inside pipe and get a good bite on it, then turn CCW, if it gets loose, tap some more, don't give up, Winners find a way, losers find an excuse.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
No this easyout will not work on the socket but a good 18" pipe wrench with good jaws should bite socket if chrome is not heavy. Cant you tap socket side to side and jar out? 3/8" or 1/2 socket. You could also try dumping a can of freon , 134, on socket slow with a valve attached and maybe shrink socket enuff to get loose?

A pipe easy out is a square bladed thingy that comes if many sizes, you tap square end inside pipe and get a good bite on it, then turn CCW, if it gets loose, tap some more, don't give up, Winners find a way, losers find an excuse.
It's a 1/4" socket (brand new, too...but hey, it's a metric ). And heck yeah, I tried to "rock it" every which way, but the 11mm was nearly a perfect fit into the bushing, so there's really no play. And again, the socket is beyond being reachable with anything to grab the end.

And oh, I will find a way, by God! . I will try the tap set idea tomorrow. If I can get the socket out I'll feel relieved, and can worry about the bushing itself with other proven methods....including using a damn bearing puller!

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 05:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Talk about a hard place, might try what someone mentioned, drill some 1/8" hole on the outside edge, of the bushing, maybe you can relieve some pressure and the bushing will collaspe? You are gonna be there a while. get your rest. I got a bushing and socket in hand, thinking...............You musta drove that socket in , this is a tight fit, can you turn socket with 1/4" breakover with out breaking breakover? If no, Hello Drill

Don
TC # 349
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 05:19 PM
Tech Team

Thumbs up Re: Pilot Bushing Stuck...and....

Had the same problem with mine. Talked to a old timer at chevy garage, told me to get a 5/8 tap and tap out the pilot bushing. Then take a 4" 5/8 bolt screw it into bushing and it walk its way out. Worked out great.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 05:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds69 View Post
Had the same problem with mine. Talked to a old timer at chevy garage, told me to get a 5/8 tap and tap out the pilot bushing. Then take a 4" 5/8 bolt screw it into bushing and it walk its way out. Worked out great.

Yup, that's the part I forgot.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

http://imageshack.com/a/img745/1637/0NP8Y4.jpg
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmie

Sounds like the socket is #1 problem. Gotta go with zdld17 on the easy out. You're going to end up destroying the socket any way. Give that a try.

Might be a possibility to drill it out but the socket is probably hardned so you'd need a good bit. Make sure that bit is larger than socket.

I changed my pilot bearing out a few years ago and thought about the grease method but only for about a millisecond. I'm cheap but not that cheap. Sounded way to messy. I ended up renting the proper tool from a rental place. Places like Auto Zone might have loaners for free. Good luck.

Jim's '69 http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...PICT0372-1.jpg

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech

Some good ideas here, I've got one also. Wet some paper towels with water and stuff the pieces in the hole. Get a wood dowel or metal dowel or something close to the same size of the inside of the pilot bearing. Tap on the dowel little by little when it seems bottomed out add some more wet paper towels and tap again and continue for a few passes----you will see the pilot bearing making its way out! Hydraulics-----works everytime. Good luck!

68 convertible 327 Ralley Green, White top, Deluxe Ivory interior, powerglide with white bumblebee stripe
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 07, 08:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage

I always use a 5/8" coarse tap but you have the socket to figure out first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode