Powder coating: What & How Much $ - Team Camaro Tech
Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Powder coating: What & How Much $

I'm going to do a home inspection for a guy that does powder coating. I've offered to do it in trade. I've never had anything powder coated. Can he do my headers that have about 1000 miles / 8 months on them? What else would you have done? Anything I would have him do is already on the car. What's a typical cost of powder coating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 09:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Powder coating: What & How Much $

I dont believe you can powder coat headers. But any thing else that is painted can be powder coated. The sky is the limit. Also depends on how big a oven he has.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

http://s268.photobucket.com/home/pro...maro/allalbums
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 09:26 AM
Team Member
Matt

I did my subframe, motor mounts, A-arms, and axle housing. Total bill was around $400 (including sand blasting).
I almost did my radiator support and inner fender wells, but changed my mind and had them painted.

I agree--I don’t think you can powdercoat headers. Also, you can’t powdercoat springs or coils (hood springs). The oven distorts the spring/coil.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I had about 20 small pieces done. The largest was the bracket that my brake and clutch pedals attched to. I think it was about $220 to media blast and power coat all these.

The guy I use can power coat headers. There is a hi-temp power specificly used for headers and exhust systems. He races a Cobra kit car he made and he showed me the entire exhust from the headers all the way to the tail pipes that he coated. It looked great. I don't think he had a lot of color choices. I think a silver/metal color might have been his only option.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 01:26 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Can't say much about the cost.
But can say it's very durable, resists most chemicals,gas,oils,brake fluids, and the like.

I had all my brackets and pulleys (20% black) done at work along with an intake (intake manifold silver).

68 Camaro~LSx
Best to Date....and tuning
1.546 60'.....7.132 @ 94.43 660'.....11.327 @ 116.79.
RedЯum <-Pics
More here
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 04:03 PM
Senior Tech
Joe A

I had my alt brackets and my water pump pulley,,, (4) total parts done in the correct semi black with blasting for $40. I was impressed with this shop for the quality of work for the price I had paid.

Question......I am now thinking of doing the rad support and the inner fenders but I am thinking that they might warp after the bake so,,am I off base on this ???

I did not mean to Hijack this thread but after reading all of the posts my mind wanderd towards this question...

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project
www.firstgenjigs.com
joeammo@myfairpoint.net
http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/camjoe63/
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 04:24 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68DaveV View Post
I'm going to do a home inspection for a guy that does powder coating. I've offered to do it in trade. I've never had anything powder coated. Can he do my headers that have about 1000 miles / 8 months on them? What else would you have done? Anything I would have him do is already on the car. What's a typical cost of powder coating?
Been over 5 years since I had the outside/inside of manifolds done...and they still look like the day that I them done. Can't get anything tougher than this stuff...talk to anyone who has had to SB this coating off.

capt
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 08, 12:43 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

I know everyone seems to like powder coating. However those trailer hitches you see rusting after 2 years on the back of a pickup. Yup they are powder coated. Seems to mee that powder coating doesn't hold up well on sharp edges and then often times flakes off in large pieces. I've got a welder that's powder coated and it's peeling off in sheets.

Epoxy primer is the only way to go in my book. It's what all the aerospace companies are using, none of them are using powder coating. You can't even chip the epoxy primer if you beat on it.

If you live where salt isnt used on the roads maybe powder coating will hold up. But it doesn't fair too well up North.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 08, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjoe63 View Post
I had my alt brackets and my water pump pulley,,, (4) total parts done in the correct semi black with blasting for $40. I was impressed with this shop for the quality of work for the price I had paid.

Question......I am now thinking of doing the rad support and the inner fenders but I am thinking that they might warp after the bake so,,am I off base on this ???

I did not mean to Hijack this thread but after reading all of the posts my mind wanderd towards this question...
I did both my rad. support and inner fenders (along with hood springs, coil springs and just about every other bolt on sheet metal part ) on the last resto I did(68 Buick GS400 Convt.). One of the best areas I spent money on and would definately do it again.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac
Len's PT Garage
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 08, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

must have a lot to do with the prep on adhesion. i coated a planter for my wife 3 years ago, sits outside year round and looks like it did the day i finished it. if fact i screwed up a piece and like to have never gotten the coating off in the sand blaster cabinet. tough stuff.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 08, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Send a message via AIM to Dale8346

I restored my 67 Camaro and Powder Coated the Following to give you an idea: FRAME, Wheels, All suspension, seat backs, quarter plate (interior) between rear seat back & window, plus.
When it is done by someone good, it looks just like paint. Make sure you tell them flat, semi, glossy, etc. or you will be screwed.
I don't really know how much it cost, i did not break it out i paid for it to the body shop.
And YES, you can powder coat the exhaust manifolds. It is a different process, but most of the guys that do it warranty it for Many, Many years. It for sure works and last a long time.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 08, 09:18 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

I had my new aluminum intake powder coated with clear
you know how hard they are to keep clean with all those pits
this makes it easier to wipe up

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...naflowclip.mp4

Last edited by jr68; Jan 11th, 11 at 06:27 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 08, 04:09 AM
Senior Tech

What did it cost to powercoat the intake with clear?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 08, 05:04 AM
Team Member
Jerry R.

$10 for the powder.
My buddy and I did it in his shop with an Eastwood gun.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...naflowclip.mp4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode