For best results use specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 07:11 PM
Team Member
Brandon

Re: Custom Sequential Turn Signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrolke View Post
one would go under the dash in the fuse block the other under the dash where the second flasher is

you have to ground the 3rd prong on each flasher as well

here is a better video of my setup

http://youtu.be/9OUE5DE2ds4
Sorry if I'm being dense here, but what is the purpose of adding a flasher, if the turn signal electric current is already intermittent to make them blink, what would happen without the flasher? I would have thought the blinker signal would light up the first light then the delay from the relay would light up the second. But obviously this is all new to me.

Thanks

'69 coupe, 350 engine and trans, HEI Dist, headers, posi-track. It's a good 15 footer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 14, 08:48 PM
Team Member
Brandon

Ok, I looked at my wiring diagrams, the flasher is what makes the turn signals blink. So the two flashers are already there, I'm just replacing them with a different flasher?

Also, in the wiring diagram there are just two wires going to the LED panels, one a hot the other the ground, right? My tail light had three, if I follow the diagram, one is for the tail light and brake light, the other the turn signal, and the third the ground.

So I'm thinking as I'm typing, that is a dual element bulb, so the tail lights can be on but it can get brighter when you brake or turn on the blinker. Where the LED panel is basically one light how does it function as a tail light and a brake light and turn signal? Sorry for all the questions but I'd really like to do this and don't want to screw it up.

'69 coupe, 350 engine and trans, HEI Dist, headers, posi-track. It's a good 15 footer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 04:43 AM
Senior Tech

The resistor is what gives you the running lights

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk 2

'00 Sierra ext. cab 5.3l intake best run 15.89

2000 grand prix GTP
post #34 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech

The flasher is for handleing the leds regular wont work right
i grounded the leds to the housing then have each panels feed wire connecting from my box to the tail light

2000 grand prix GTP
post #35 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 06:02 AM
Team Member
Brandon

Thanks, so if I follow you, I'm not adding two flashers to the system, I'm replacing two that are already there, right?

So looking at the wiring diagram, the LED panels have two power wires going to them, one from the tail light circuit and one from the brake/turn signal circuit. I just watched your video again and see that the tail lights are on and the LED's get brighter when you step on the brake or use the turn signal. Where they are in essence a single light not a dual filament light like the bulb they replace, how do they get brighter, is it because they are getting twice the power, in other words, with the tails on they are getting 12 volts, step on the brake or use the turn signal and they get 12 more for a total of 24?

Once again, sorry if these are obvious questions, thank you for your time.

post #36 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 06:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

So as a non electronics guy, I'm looking at resistors to do this. Are we looking for 330Ohm and 1/4W, 1W or something else?

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #37 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech

i used 1/4 watt resistors

that is what gives you the lower output for running lights

the leds are single output but putting the resistors inline of the feed coming in it dims them

the flashers replace your existing flashers in the car
the diodes that are in the circuit keep electricity from "flowing" backwards so you can do this setup

you only get 12 v in the system your not doubling anything

2000 grand prix GTP
post #38 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 06:14 AM
Team Member
Brandon

Gotcha, thanks. I didn't know the resistors cut back the power and dimmed them. So when dimmed as regular tail lights how do the compare in brightness to stock tail lights?

Thanks again for your patience and help.

post #39 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 06:52 AM
Team Member
Brandon

As bright as those panels are I'm wondering if I tackle this if I should replace my back up lights at the same time since they are in the same housing. Could you just cut off the bulb holder and wire the panel direct or is there something else you need to do so the LED panels would work as a regular light?

post #40 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 08:03 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by withac View Post
As bright as those panels are I'm wondering if I tackle this if I should replace my back up lights at the same time since they are in the same housing. Could you just cut off the bulb holder and wire the panel direct or is there something else you need to do so the LED panels would work as a regular light?

the backup light is an 1156 so there is not a dual filament bulb and you could just solder the panel directly
( I would put some kind of connector to is to make life easier for removal)

2000 grand prix GTP
post #41 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by withac View Post
Gotcha, thanks. I didn't know the resistors cut back the power and dimmed them. So when dimmed as regular tail lights how do the compare in brightness to stock tail lights?

Thanks again for your patience and help.
they are comparable to what was in there before maybe a little brighter.

2000 grand prix GTP
post #42 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 08:44 AM
Team Member
Brandon

Thanks. I wasn't quite clear, my bad. When talking about a dual filament I meant the regular tail/brake/turn signal light. It sounds like the resistor is what makes them work with two brightness levels and it sounds like even when dimmed they are still as bright as stock. The back up lights were a separate subject, as long as I had things tore apart I wondered about replacing the back up light with one of these panels to make it brighter.

Thanks

post #43 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 09:35 PM
Team Member
Brandon

One more stupid question. Can a light source be bright but not have any broadcast strength? I've thought about replacing my back up lights with one of these panels. It would be brighter up close the car but would the illumination carry, would it light up a bigger area/farther back than the standard bulbs?

post #44 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 14, 09:54 PM
Senior Tech

My only guess on that is it might buy some extras when you buy everything else ans try them it cant hurt they are only $2 and change each

2000 grand prix GTP
post #45 of 99 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 14, 05:39 AM
Team Member
Brandon

Yeah, I think that's what ill do.

Thanks for all the feedback and helping me understand the whole process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode