Team Camaro Tech banner

Speedometer Stuck Not reacting quickly

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  6t9z28 
#1 ·
Hello folks. Thanks for the help with the wipers not parking.
Now the speedometer started acting up today on my 1969 Z28. First I noticed it was not reading correctly and that it was slow to react to speed changes. Got home and parked and its stuck on 10 mph. I am thinking something within the speedometer unit its self could be causing the problem? Any help would be welcomed. Thank You Bob

#4 ·
If you disconnect the cable from the speedo and it stays at 10 mph, it's probably the speedo it self. The cable is easy enough to clean/lube by pulling it from it's sheath. That way, you can inspect the entire length of it. Good luck.

#5 ·
I am thinking its the unit. The car had a nut and bolt restore 4 years ago. Wasn't driven but 4 times when I got it last month, they didn't even grease the front end. Trailered it everywhere it went. Sitting may have caused an issue? I will check all these potential problems. Thank you sir for the response and information.

#6 ·
A speedo uses a magnet and a disk, one is attached to needle and one is attached to cable (I cannot remember which is which :)). Anyways, if needle is sticking, you can lube it with some thin oil or something like slick 50 on the shaft. You also want to make sure the spinning part is free and does not hit the other part. You have to remove the speedo to get in there to check. Use a reversing drill with the cable to bench test it.

#7 ·
X2 on the sticking needle possibility which will become more evident as the temperatures go colder (being that you are in Ohio I'm guessing temps are cooler than summer there now). We took my wife's C1 Vette for a ride last Sunday with the top down of course to show our stubbornness to the winter weather coming upon us and her speedo wouldn't climb past 30 even when going 50 plus, and then it wouldn't return to anything less than 25 even when completely stopped. After and hour plus of driving with the heat on high (and it has great heat) the needle would get up to 40 and return to 10 when stopped, most likely because the heat loosened things up a bit in the speedo head. I've seen the same behavior from chronometer's/clocks with cold weather. Disassembly, cleaning of old gummed up lubricants and fresh lubrication can do wonders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.