69 Z28 Stripes. - Team Camaro Tech
Camaro Tech General Tech Area
For best results use specific forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

69 Z28 Stripes.

Hey Guys,

I know this is a topic more suited for the paint & body section, but I'm going for as much response and input as I can get here...I figure most folks are like me and have their favorite forums they frequent, and this forum probably gets the most hits.

I've got a 69 RS in the shop that is going silver with black Z28 style stripes on the hood and trunklid. Now, the only way I can ever remember seeing these stripes on the front is where the stripes go all the way to the front and wrap in and under the grill. I have been studying and digging up as many photos of cars with these stripes as I can, and everything I come up with shows the front stripes exactly as I described....that is until I looked at the ad for the stencils in the new Classic Industries catalogue....it shows a yellow RS/Z28 w/ black stripes. Instead of the front stripes wrapping into the grill they stop about an inch short of the front of the valance panel.....like the 70-72 Chevelle Stripes or the early 70's Camaros.
Every other picture in that same catalogue and all the pics in the Year One catalogue shows the stripes as I mentioned earlier.

What are some opinions / facts on this??? I'm thinking the ad in the Classic Industries book is wrong and just wasn't caught when the book was going together, but, I wouldn't lay money on it. The fact that the stencil kit only comes with the stencil for the cowl panel and the rest is layed out with straight fine line seems to support that theory.....but again, I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Does anyone here have a car like this, with the stripes ending short of the front of the valance, or seen any cars like this?

Help and thanks,
Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
William

Re: 69 Z28 Stripes.

You are right; the Classic Industries book is incorrect. Factory Z/28 striping extended to the end of the upper grille panel.

Also often seen and equally incorrect are the rear stripes extending on to the lip of the trunk lid on a car built with spoilers. The stripes were applied with the spoiler mounted and terminate on the bottom lip of the spoiler. On an OE paint car the striping on the lid ends where the spoiler mounts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 08:01 PM
Senior Tech

I assume you mean the header panel; the valence is the panel below the bumper. For sure correct stripes don't go down there

All the factory cars I have ever seen and the majority of the restored cars I see have the stripes all the way down and wrap into the grill opening, as you described.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thaks William,

I did know that about the trunklid.....that I would have layed money on.
Would still like to hear of any other cars someone may have seen with the front stripes ending short.

Shannon
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer
I assume you mean the header panel; the valence is the panel below the bumper.
Thanks for pointing out my temporary stupidity......now pardon me while I huff another round of MEKs and Isos.

Thanks for the input.

Shannon
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 06, 11:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mr. Tibbs

Send a message via AIM to ChevyThunder

Just went through all of this . I did a lot of searches on the board for info but ultimatley used my original paint car for reference

Now this is an original paint Van Nuys Z .... the paint is rough but it is original and gives me the info I needed. On the car I just painted the only thing different is we went a little long on the rear stripes but it doesn't matter because they are covered by the rear D80 spoiler. The stripes should end even with the first set of mounting holes for the spoiler as you come down the rear deck lid but just as long as they do not go all the way down the rear deck lid and do not go passed the rear spoiler. A car with the stripe all the way down the rear deck is only OK for a car with a dealer added spoiler .

" Burn rubber not your Soul "
Camaro,Camaro,Camaro,Camaro

Last edited by ChevyThunder; Mar 3rd, 06 at 12:11 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 06, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thunder,

Thanks for the pics....they bring up another question.

One the rear stripes, where they begin up toward the rear window, I've always assumed the stripes started at the rear window...or maybe I just haven't noticed any cars with these stripes w/out the vinyl roof.
The car I'm dealing with is going back w/ the vinyl....would it be correct for the stripes to begin at the vinyl?...as if the stripes were coming out from under the vinyl?

Thanks again.
Shannon
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 06, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech

The rear stripes do not go all the way to the vinyl top molding or the rear window trim. They are curved just like the front at the cowl panel in the front of the windshield.

Dave, member number 7704
2000 Dodge Viper GTS
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 06, 07:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mr. Tibbs

Send a message via AIM to ChevyThunder

drdave69 is correct . Check this link..the pictures are not great but in one of them you can see how the stripes line up as releated to the vinyl top.

http://musclecars-and-classics.choos...oor.Coupe.html

" Burn rubber not your Soul "
Camaro,Camaro,Camaro,Camaro
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 06, 11:37 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Stripes are so subjective and if you look at 100 Camaro's with Z/28 stripes,you'll probably see 100 variations...

The front's are easy...they follow the natural lines of the cowl panel and follow down and wrap around the front header panel.1/4" spacing from the main stripe followed by another 1/4" stripe and you're there.

The rears...I've seen them all over the place.The pictures ChevyThunder supplied are absolutely perfect...front & rear.The proportions around the base of the rear windows are very impressive,excellent work.The only thing I did different with mine is that I spaced them closer together.We used my friends '69 Z (purchased new in 1969) as an example.The outside edge of my main stripes are centered perfectly in the middle of the back-up lense in the rear lights.I believe they are approx. 15 inches wide.

I like them closer together rather than wider apart...and I know it isn't correct...but I ran my stripes down below the spoiler and onto the edge of the rear deck.To me,it just makes the spoiler look to narrow without it.

To each it's own I guess...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 06, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech
Larry Schweller

On the back spoiler stripes I was told at ACA national,Bow-Tie{1000 pt.} That the stripe did not even go all the way down the spoiler, it stopped about 3/8 inch from the very bottom where there is a lip. I got busted apoint on this. Any input out there before I rdo stripe! Larry,69Rfine
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 06, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

They stop at the bottom of the flat section on the back of the spoiler, they do not continue below that point into the recessed area just above the trunk lid.

Z28 Stripes

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 06, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks to everyone for the input
Thunder....I especially appreciate the photos and have printed several of them and will certainly use them for reference.

Musclecarjohn...I agree about looking at 100 cars and seeing 100 different stripes, and in fact the car we are doing will also be different. Looking at Thunder's yellow car, the rear stripes seem to be spaced further apart than the fronts do...I'm gonna space the rears closer together....same distance as the front ones.

Again, thanks for all the input.
Shannon
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 06, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

They are spaced further apart, and they are different widths from the fronts. They are also different widths from each other left to right.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 06, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C
They stop at the bottom of the flat section on the back of the spoiler, they do not continue below that point into the recessed area just above the trunk lid.
That recessed area is body color, correct?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode