Installing a Rear Spoiler - Team Camaro Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Installing a Rear Spoiler

I'm getting ready to install a rear spoiler onto my '68. Does anyone have any pointers before I start?? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 03:33 PM
Senior Tech
Re: Installing a Rear Spoiler

Measure, measure again,, measure some more.. go back to start of last sentence and read through a couple more times. Now, then run some two inch masking tape across the deck lid and once you've figured out the measurements. Mark them on the tape with a pencil.. Go back to first sentence again, then look to see where holes will come through inside of deck lid. Prepare to have to drill or enlarge existing holes through secondary framing of deck lid.

Rear of spoiler should be approximately 3/8"-1/2" from rear edge of deck lid. Be very careful before and after drilling first hole and checking position not to scratch paint. If this is to be painted later still be careful of placement.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67
My 67 Camaro
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 03:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

I made a cardboard template with the bolt holes...used small, superthin rubber washers around the bolts on the outside to make it waterproof...worked for me..good luck.

1969 Camaro
1990 IROCZ28 convertible (SOLD)
2004 Silverado Z71 4x4
2008 Pontiac G8 GT
GGSMU member
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 03:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

I made an exact template of the spoiler stud holes using a thick costruction paper. Once I knew it was perfect I layed it on the lid and placed it where I wanted and measured the hole from the rear edge of the lid. If you move it too far forward the nut will not rest flat because of the contour under the lid. (at lease on my repo) I checked and checked over and over again. Then I taped to to the lid and looked at it for a while before I made any moves. Once i looked at it to the point i didnt know what I was looking at anymore I drilled the first hole. Once they were all done the spoiler sat perfect. This was before paint. Moral of my story is like mentioned above..check the template/measurments before you drill. PS the measurements in the diagram you see from Classic industries or one of the other suppliers doesnt mean it is correct for your spoiler. Aftermarket stuff is a crap make your own template. Good luck!

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Use some type of seal around the mounting holes on the decklid so water doesn't enter into the trunk. I like to use a thin bead of windshield butyl.

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 10, 04:46 AM
Senior Tech

Make sure you find the exact center line for you spoiler and deck lid, to lay out the template or measurements.
I used the tape method listed above, and then put some blue valve marking compound on the spoiler studs to check for any deviation between my marks and the studs. It helped to have the center marked to make sure the spoiler was where it needed to be. I used a small bit (#30) first then stepped up the holes to final size with a reamer. I also use the thin rubber washers, works nice, no water in the trunk.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 10, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Good stuff... thanks everyone!!
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode