Original Stripe Dimensions - 04A VN 69 Z28 - Team Camaro Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 11, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Original Stripe Dimensions - 04A VN 69 Z28

Today I finally got round to measuring the original stripes on my car. Thought I'd post them in case the info was of interest to anyone. Couple of things to note:
1. Car was repainted within it's first year when it hit the drag strip, but the painter didn't paint into the returns on the cowl, header panel, hood or rear spoiler - hence the original stripes are still visible. However, this means I can only measure the stripes along the edges of those panels - the dimensions are not perpendicular across the stripes.
2. Car is an 04A Van Nuys assembly with factory spoilers f & r.

I have added photos of the areas measured, I tried to draw the dimensions onto the photos but my computer skills are not up to that at the moment - so have drawn it up, with the dimensions I measured also listed below.

Cowl Panel:
From center of cowl panel to nearest edge of thin black line = 4 & 13/32"
Overall width across stripe (including narrow stripes) = 15"
From outside edge of stripe to cowl/fender junction = 6 & 5/8"
Narrow stripe plus gap to wide stripe = 9/16" (stripe and gap width are equal)

Header Panel:
From center of header to nearest edge of thin black line = 4 & 7/16"
Overall width across stripe (including narrow stripes) = 14 & 1/2"
From outside edge of stripe to header/fender junction = 5 & 7/8"
Again, narrow stripe plus gap to wide stripe = 9/16" (stripe and gap width are equal).

Rear Deck Spoiler:
From center of spoiler to nearest edge of thin black line = 7 & 13/16"
Overall width across stripe (including narrow stripes) = 15 & 1/16"
Note: both rear stripes were exactly the same overall width, I had previously understood that one side was narrower than the other to allow for the 'Camaro by Chevrolet' emblem, but mine are both equal widths.

Would welcome any comments from other VN car owners, as I described it is not the best way to measure stripes but I only have panel edges to work with - the main thing is that it allows me to recreate the originals when I repaint, and confirms that the stripes are equal width at each location.

Here are the pics - click to enlarge:

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Raced in E/MP at Lions in LA. Now restoring!

Last edited by ZLP955; Dec 4th, 11 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Added sketch of dimensions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 11, 07:12 AM
Brian

Garage
Re: Original Stripe Dimensions - 04A VN 69 Z28

Great Job Tim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Measure the opposite side of the rear spoiler, the dimensions are not the same side to side. Passenger side should be about 1/4" to 5/16" wider than the drivers side (at least they are on Norwood cars)

Left stripe is 14 13/16" wide, 14 11/16" wide at the top of the spoiler, and 14 5/8" wide at the trailing edge. Right stripe is 15 9/32" wide, 15 1/8" wire at the top of the spoiler, and 14 15/16" wide at the trailing edge. These are total widths (main stripe and the two 1/4" pin stripes) Stripes are 15 5/8" apart edge to edge.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Measure the opposite side of the rear spoiler, the dimensions are not the same side to side. Passenger side should be about 1/4" to 5/16" wider than the drivers side (at least they are on Norwood cars)

Left stripe is 14 13/16" wide, 14 11/16" wide at the top of the spoiler, and 14 5/8" wide at the trailing edge. Right stripe is 15 9/32" wide, 15 1/8" wire at the top of the spoiler, and 14 15/16" wide at the trailing edge. These are total widths (main stripe and the two 1/4" pin stripes) Stripes are 15 5/8" apart edge to edge.
Mark, as I wrote, "Note: both rear stripes were exactly the same overall width, I had previously understood that one side was narrower than the other to allow for the 'Camaro by Chevrolet' emblem, but mine are both equal widths."
These are definitely the original factory stripes, and the rears are the same width; may be because it's a VN car, but don't know why it would vary from NOR assemblies. No explanation, that's just what they measure at.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Raced in E/MP at Lions in LA. Now restoring!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 07:37 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Maybe they didn't need it since your total width measurement is over a half inch narrower than an equiivalent Norwood stripe. 15 1/16 vs 15 5/8". For whatever reason the LA stripes are apparently different, if yours are in fact original.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 08:11 PM
Brian

Garage

We have always suspected that LA and Norwood stripes were done differently. The more we know the less we understand.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 11, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
if yours are in fact original.
No question that they are; confirmed by original owner, and even tracked down the guy who painted over the stripes in Fresno.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 11, 01:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Its great to have a reference for exact stripe dimensions, as there have been so many conflicting dimensions posted. I went with the dimensions in the Stencils & Stripes kit. My car is a norwood car. I will meassure them to find out for sure. Also the kit only lists one set of dimensions. This is the first I have heard of LA and Norwood cars being different. Thanks for posting. I think we need a new section just for paint & stripes.

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 11, 05:40 AM
Brian

Garage

Yes Tim and I have been working on a true sticky for a while now. Some time in the next few weeks I will post the results of digesting about 500 posts here and on CRG and see if we have a final consensus on both LA & Norwood and Early year vs late year builds.

Those coveting specs from survivor vehicles please PM me with your specs for the project.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 12, 07:05 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Tim.....my painter is ready to finish my paint job so I need to know if these dimensions are the closes to orignal I can get.

IT KEEPS ME GOING
69 Z/28
711 67 67
02D X33
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 12, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28X33 View Post
Tim.....my painter is ready to finish my paint job so I need to know if these dimensions are the closes to orignal I can get.
Larry, I wouldn't suggest anyone paint their car according to my measurements, I just posted them to see if anyone else with an LA car had observed the same dimensions.
Since your Z is a Norwood (X33) car, and it appears the stripes may have been applied differently between NOR and LOS/VN plants, I think you would be better getting your painter to follow the Norwood stripe layout, which I believe is what the stencil kits (commonly sold by the usual parts vendors) is based upon. These have the stripes on the rear deck lid different overall widths, to accommodate the relocated decklid emblem. As people pointed out when I originally started this thread, my measurements indicated that the rear stripes (at least on my car) are the same width, and therefore this doesn't match what is generally considered 'normal' for Norwood cars.

EDIT - I just checked an unused stencil kit I have here, bought from Rick's, and the instructions state that the stripe dimensions were based on measurements taken from "both a factory original 1969 Z/28 & pace car".

Last edited by ZLP955; Sep 20th, 12 at 08:16 PM. Reason: added stencil kit info
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 12, 10:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I used the "Stencil and Stripes" kit on my car. My painter made a few tweaks to them, but overall I have heard that the kits dimensions are correct for late Norwood cars. Early cars I think Pre March had the narrower rear stripes. Also I recall from the kit, that the stripes go from wide to narrower ever so slightly and each rear stripe is a different dimension. If you do a search here and on CRG you will get some posts of original paint Z 28 stripes with all of the dimensions.

My Build Thread

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 12, 01:06 PM
Senior Tech
Hans

Interesting and good stuff. I have a o4B VN Z28, Cortez Silver as well. I'll be painting it and adding stripes within the next month. I'll be using this info when I lay out the stripes.

Thanks for the info!

'69 RS Z28 Cortez Silver, Original Driveline, M22, 73K, Van Nuys Built, Chassis Broadcast Copy
'69 Chevelle SS396 4SP, Fathom Green, Original Engine
'06 GTO Brazen Orange, M6, 400HP LS2

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 12, 03:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoz28 View Post
Interesting and good stuff. I have a o4B VN Z28, Cortez Silver as well. I'll be painting it and adding stripes within the next month. I'll be using this info when I lay out the stripes.

Thanks for the info!
Wow Hans your car sounds awesome. My dream car for sure.

My Build Thread

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 12, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28freak View Post
Wow Hans your car sounds awesome. My dream car for sure.
Thanks! Appreciate it. I've had the car for a long time and finally getting to the restoration. Jerry MacNeish is rebuilding the engine & trans now - hope to get it back within a month or so.

Nice build thread you have there. Quite the transformation and I noted some useful content that will definitely help with my restoration. Maybe after I get the engine back, I'll start a progress thread as well - good motivator!

Hans

'69 RS Z28 Cortez Silver, Original Driveline, M22, 73K, Van Nuys Built, Chassis Broadcast Copy
'69 Chevelle SS396 4SP, Fathom Green, Original Engine
'06 GTO Brazen Orange, M6, 400HP LS2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode