Team Camaro Tech banner

Old Motor

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  blesak 
#1 ·
Hey guys I was able to get a 67 camaro from my uncle who left it sit in his garage for 15 or 18 years. It has a 327 in it. I know very little about restoring motor to working condition. I already replaced fuel lines, oil & filter, plugs. Iv'e turned it over by hand. What else do I need to do before I try starting it? I don't want to hurt the engine, thats why I posted here since you know more than I do. Thank you

#2 ·
When you get ready to start it I would pour a couple of capfuls of either Marvel Mystery fluid or tans fluid down the carb with the butterflies all the way open to help lubricate the valves and cylinders.

Check the ccolant level, as you are trying to start it look for any fuel leaks especially at the carb.

Does it still have ignition points? If so it would be wise to replace them, check to see if the coil is functioning properly, and perhaps even replace the distributor cap and rotor button.

#4 ·
Another thing; Pull the plugs and crank it for a while with the coil wire removed to prevent a nasty surprise. But even better is to remove the distributor and use a old distributor housing w/shaft to turn the oil pump. Use a drill to spin the pump. That really helps any engine that's new or been sitting. Be sure to let the drill run for as long as possible. You'll feel the housing getting hot. Very few drill motors can survive this job for more than a few minutes. And another thing you can do while the drill is running is to bump over the engine a couple times. That helps oil flow through various passages that may not be lined up. And be sure the drill is turning the right way. Leave it in forward (clock wise)

#5 ·
I would:
Pull the spark plugs and squirt some engine oil, Marvel Mystery Oil, 3-In-1 oil, or WD40 into the cylinders and spin the engine over using the supplied starter - this lubes the rings against the cylinder walls - eases friction/load on the starter.

At the same time, disconnect the inlet fuel line to the fuel pump and connect a vacuum gauge to the f/pump inlet. This will telll you if the f/pump diaphram is in good shape and pump can create a vacuum and you can run a long hose from a gas can. No vacuum, then you weill have to set a gas can higher than the carb inlet and gravity feed the carb.

Attach a spark plug to #1 spark plug wire and ground the plug electrode and connect a timing light to the #1 wire. While cranking, check timing. If t/light lights, good spark. Timing happens at the right time, initial timing is set.

Pour a half cup of fuel into the carb bowl vent to add fuel, replace spark plugs, externally charge battery, check all fluid levels, fan belt tight, choke plate is closed - GO FOR IT!

Once engine is running and no leaks, good oil pressure, and thermostat has opened up and engine has ran for about 10-15 minutes, you can assess the engiune and rest of the systems.

Gas tank will more than likely need dropping and cleaned if not replaced, radiator shop can cook it, and change every fuel hose about the fuel line. Then change oil & filter, fan belt, and coolant along with coolant hoses and thermostat.

Snowball Effect comes to mind. Enjoy the event.

#6 ·
Be sure to check brake operation before driving if you get it running. Sitting that long you can almost bet that all the hydraulics are bad. As said, the fuel tank needs to be removed and inspected. It may or may not be saveable. I would go through carburetor or, replace it before trying to start. It probably will leak and that means chance of fire.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Is there a reason why the car was parked in the first place? If it's the original 327 to the car, I'd be careful to not do any damage to the engine. Pull the valve covers, change the oil and prime the oil system as described above, make sure all the valves are functioning and not bent, and make sure the carb isn't leaking. It would really help to pull the water neck off the hose and replace the thermostat as well. I think Everett covered everything else, but also have a fire extinguisher close by. Old cars = you never know.

#11 ·
If its an engine you want to save, maybe all of the above...

Oil down the carb
Oil in the plug holes
Wait a day
Turn the engine with a wrench slowly
Repeat the above 4 times
Rebuild the carb
Make sure the ignition works
Prime the oil system (by removing the dist) and cranking the oil pump).

Finally, spray B12 while cranking...

Feel free to leave out all steps except the last til it runs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.