Team Camaro Tech banner

69 pace car convertible

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  arocars 
#1 ·
69 pace car convertible with all new body; how does that affect value ?

#3 ·
I heard that the dynacorn bodies fit like **** but with any aftermarket part thats to be expected. Doing a complete rebody is going to affect the value a LOT. Not only that a lot of people look down on this. That being said, if its a clean job and all the lines and body panels match up it would still knock it down a serious chunk(25-50% but I could be way off) but that really depends on who would be paying for the car. Most people wont even touch a rebody car so if you can save the original sheet metal I would.

#4 ·
That is an interesting question. Because we have not really seen any of these cars for sale claiming to be original with a GM restoration part replacement body. I would say from the start Deduct 1/4 the value. Original metal brings a lot of the value to the car now. But a GREAT question that is hard to answer

#5 ·
Are we talking about a total restoration or a Dynacorn body? If it's a total resto, are we talking about OEM or aftermarket panels?

If I was buying a high-dollar, collector vehicle like a pace car convertible, I would want a nicely restored one with original panels. They are expensive, but they are out there.

A notch down in value would be a vehicle that has been restored with NOS OEM panels. I have read a ton of comments from people saying that OEM replacement panels aren't necessarily stamped well, or fit well, but with NOS OEM panels in the restoration, there are bragging rights and perceived value in the collector markets. Minus up to 10%.

A further notch down is replacement aftermarket panels. Some of the aftermarket panels today are well made with nice clean creases where they are supposed to be. But the stigma exists. Minus up to 25%.

As for a complete rebody, like a Dynacorn, I think a lot of people would pass on it altogether and thus effect value substantially. In essence, you aren't buying a pace car, you are buying a vin and trim tag that's been put on another car. And it's not even a real GM car. Minus up to 50%.

#6 ·
Interesting. That begs the following question: What about the "rebody" that is done using a complete donor body? For instance, the ones that use a base convertible body with the trim tag, VIN plate, and possibly hidden VIN's swapped out. I understand it is borderline illegal to do this, especially if you try to pass it off as the original body, but if it is disclosed that this was done, does a car like that rank above or below the Dynacorn body in value? The fact is, cars like that are out there, and still desirable to the guy who just wants to have a "pace car" to cruise around in.

#8 ·
Tom, you asked about a "rebody" that is done using a complete donor body with the trim tag, VIN plate, and possibly hidden VIN's swapped out.

Mind you, this is just my opinion, but unless it was done under the supervision and approval of the RMV, I don't think those cars have any value at all. Way too much tampering for me. That donor body could just as easily have been stolen and retagged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.