Team Camaro Tech banner

interior paint

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  KURT 
#1 ·
OK, finally painted my 69 Lemans Blue Camaro SS. I am now gathering all the supplies for the interior. As far as paint goes the lower dash, console, steering column, is a low gloss code 715 dark blue metallic. The upper dash, back metal trim is code 715 (0) zero gloss dark blue metallic. My question is what color are the steering wheel, seat backs, seat hinge covers, dash pad, kick panels arm rest bases etc. To me it doesn't look like a metallic paint, and where can I get this non metallic paint. Thanks.

#2 ·
Go to you local PPG or Dupont automotive paint store. They can mix the correct color blue. You can either have them make it in spray cans or can paint to put in your gun. The plastic parts need to be prepped properly for the paint to adhere. They can guide you in that process as well. Semi gloss is what I do on the interior and more flat on the top of the dash by spraying it "dry".

#3 ·
Kurt,
I too have a Lemans blue '69 with the dark blue interior (wish it was black since everything is made in black). Some years ago I repainted everything in my interior and used SEM Tahoe Blue Metallic (#15293). It is nearly a perfect match to the original color. If you search this site I think you'll find another reference to this color posted years ago indicating that it is an excellent match. Your posting made me curious as to whether this paint is still available over the counter in spray cans as I'd bought it. I called SEM and the tech line guy said that although they no longer make it in spray cans for a display rack in a paint store, if you find a paint store (I went to an auto paint store) that carries SEM products, they can mix it and the formula number is 2718. Many auto paint stores can put this in an aerosol can for you, so unless you're going to use a spray gun, find a store that will put it in a rattle can for you. If you're going to spray this on plastic, be sure to use an adhesion promoter (SEM has these too). I prepped my plastic surfaces using a PPG vinyl conditioner (it's a degreaser), then used the adhesion promoter and then the color. I used this on the dash pad too and there is no reflection into the window of sunlight. I also used this color on the metal parts of the interior, but did not need to prime the metal as the OEM paint was still in good shape so I just scuffed it up and used a PPG wax and grease remover since there was probably years of overspray from interior cleaning products everywhere and I didn't want any fisheye. It all sprayed on great, no fisheye or other problems. On the metal surfaces I used several coats of clear (also SEM, best to not mix manufacturers paints). The paint has been on for probably 15 or more years and still looks great. The other option is to take a part of the interior you're trying to match to the auto paint store and let them color match it, but this is usually quite expensive. I had to do this to match the Lemans blue so I could shoot the replacement front grill and one pint was quite expensive since they often have to make several tries and you end up paying for that experimentation. Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.