Nos hood louvers - Page 4 - Team Camaro Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 09:29 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: Nos hood louvers

Wild guess here, but I wonder if that white plastic tube is a tool to remove or install the black rubber drain tubes? But if so, seems they would include it with the drain tube part and not the louver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 11:13 AM
Team Member
Bob

Pete,

The black rubber drain tubes near the front of the hood come out and go in quite easily. Actually did that yesterday.

Keep the guesses coming! 😄

Bob
'68 Camaro SS 396/325
'00 Vette - 350/345 Convertible, 6 speed
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 12:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I have an all original 69 SS with the original louvers on the hood. Would I be better off trying to find someone to rechrome my originals? Anyone have a source for this?

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges

post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 02:06 PM
Team Member
Bob

Haven't read too many good things about attempts to rechrome the louvers since its pot metal. Perhaps others who have tried to get them rechromed will chime in.

Bob
'68 Camaro SS 396/325
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 17, 05:43 PM
Team Member
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Thousands of restored cars most likely have 2 LH louvers as that's all that was available NOS for a long time.
I looked at a '68 SS from the Reggie Jackson collection today at the BJ auction. Lo and behold two LH louvers! 😬

Interesting in that this car is being marketed as an all original car. Don't think the factory would have installed two LH louvers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	172418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	172426  

Bob
'68 Camaro SS 396/325
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 05:15 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocards View Post
I looked at a '68 SS from the Reggie Jackson collection today at the BJ auction. Lo and behold two LH louvers! 😬

Interesting in that this car is being marketed as an all original car. Don't think the factory would have installed two LH louvers!

OK, I'll bite! How can you tell LH/RH from a picture?

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 05:53 AM
Senior Tech
Chet

Quote:
Technically 2 lefts (or for that matter 2 rights) won't work. I just pulled my original louvers off of the hood. You'll see from the picture below that the center studs on the left hand and right hand louvers are not on the same center line. Unless you drill new holes in the hood for the difference in stud locations (or install one louver backwards! ), the louvers are not interchangeable. As previously mentioned you would also have to drill a hole for the water drain but this too would create a problem. The location for the water drains in the louver are fed into a channel on the back side of the hood. If you drill a new hole for the water drain (that is, if you try to install a left hand louver on the right side or vice versa), the drain will not be fed into a channel and water will be directed right on to the engine!

So after now looking at my two NOS LH louvers and comparing them to my left and right hand originals, I've noticed some other things:

1. The back plate on the original left hand louver has an extra hole in it that would allow it to be used on the right hand louver as well. Why the right hand backing plate doesn't have this is a total mystery!

2. The original louver is chrome plated around the stacks whereas the NOS louver is painted silver. I seem to recall this being discussed in an earlier thread either here or at CRG but I'll be darned if I could find it. Sure would be nice to hear from other SS owners what their original louvers look like. Chrome plated or painted silver???

Has anyone bought a repop louver and are they chrome plated or silver???

PS: Ed...Yes, the boxes were sealed when I bought them eons ago.
Of course two lefts won't work. The stacks would face the wrong way on the right side unless you punch 4 new holes for the mounting studs to get them facing the other way. Why would anyone do that? Originals were chromed with the black portion painted.

BTW, nobody at GM screwed up. Common procedure is use what computer says to fill the order whether the part actually works or not.

69 SS clone, fathom green, TMI sport seats, 200r4, 3.42 posi rear end, IROC steering box, SPC control arms, koni shocks.. Future mods include bolting on the Profiler heads, FIRST TPI, and roller cam sitting in the garage
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 07:28 AM
Team Member
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
OK, I'll bite! How can you tell LH/RH from a picture?
Kevin,

Enlarge the pictures and look in the upper left corner. You'll see the water drain hole in both pics are located in the same spot.

Bob
'68 Camaro SS 396/325
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 07:43 AM
Team Member
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefiness View Post
Of course two lefts won't work. The stacks would face the wrong way on the right side unless you punch 4 new holes for the mounting studs to get them facing the other way. Why would anyone do that?
There are 6 mounting studs not 4. As shown in an earlier post just the two center studs would have to have new holes drilled to use a LH louver in the RH position.

Personally I would never do that but apparently there are those who do!

Bob
'68 Camaro SS 396/325
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 08:05 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Kevin,

Enlarge the pictures and look in the upper left corner. You'll see the water drain hole in both pics are located in the same spot.

Thanks! Learn something new every day!

Kevin

post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Yes 2 LH ones do work. I don't recall drilling my original hood either. Now I am going to have to go check it out. The only difference is the drain hole location from what I recall.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1984 Camaro z/28 LG4 auto
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 07:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Here's 2 lefts:

post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 07:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Heres my hood in primer (maybe I did redrill new holes and plug the others) You can see the center hole patterns are the same, which probably means I redrilled them. Redrilling the center holes is not a big deal. The drain hole can be drilled in the proper spot for proper drainage. I did that with mine and checked it and it drains correctly..
In 1982 I bought NOS louvers from the dealer and I got 2 LH back then, so that's why I say the RH louver has been disc for a real long time.

post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 07:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I'm going to say that white tube is a gauge for drilling new center holes. BTW, I drilled an 1/8 inch hole for my drain hole.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode