Intakes And Hood Clearance - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 Ground Up Restorations

Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Second Generation 1970-1981

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 2nd, 11, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Intakes And Hood Clearance

Has anyone used the Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap or the slightly shorter Performer Air Gap intake on a 1970 Camaro? I was thinking of using one of these but was not sure of hood clearance even with a low profile air cleaner.

Any advise would be helpful....Thanks.
Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 2nd, 11, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: Intakes And Hood Clearance

For one thing the Edelbrock Dual Plain Air Gap is the Same Height as a Performer-2 & RPM, You can check the Edelbrock Site to verify the Height.

Generally you require a Drop Base Carb Plate (Say a Morrosso Drop Plate) topped with a LT1 Scoop to run a 4" Air Breather in a 2nd Gen with a BBC/Holley/RPM - A 4" Breather will not clear the Hood with a BBC and Edelbrock Intake in a 2nd Gen even with a Drop Base unless you use a 3" Filter - Don't know about SBC's in a 2nd Gen - Never ran one - But a SBC over Air Gap should clear with a 3`Filter & Drop base Morrosso Plate.

There`s a Garbage Can Tin Lid in there for a Total Seal Cowl Induction:

See the Dodge Air Breather Puke Can on the PSGR Valve Cover to a Base Morrosso Carb Plate and the Dodge Heater Hose Bracket bolted to the Alternator. I`m Not Proud - Holley Annular Booster 80511-1-Edelbrock Dual Plain RPM Air Gap in Chevy Color - Almost looks Stock even with the Volvo S70 Electric Fan - LOL.

10.25:1, 7000rpm, 625Hp, Donovan Cam Gear Drive, Lunati SR 73 MKIV LS4-M21-3.31 12 Bolt Posi - 70Z

Just to show it`s a 7000rpm 460-M21 & 3.31 Gears.

Note: I just Bolt on the LT1. GM provided the Hood Sub-Frame Structure.

Believe me the Mill is not Cheap and you have to know what your doing - I`m the Mechanic & don`t trust anyone to Wrench my Ride.
She`s a 12 Sec 150+mph Road Warrior on pump gas and, over time, have owned it since 76 treating her with my personality.

Eat your heart out Baldwin & Nicky - I did it the way the General intended a 2nd Gen Z to be.

Hope my Post gives you some Idea about Cowl Induction - Be Creative - That`s GM`s Theme about 2nd Gens.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Z15CAM; Jul 2nd, 11 at 05:55 PM.
Z15CAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 2nd, 11, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Post Re: Intakes And Hood Clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Has anyone used the Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap or the slightly shorter Performer Air Gap intake on a 1970 Camaro? I was thinking of using one of these but was not sure of hood clearance even with a low profile air cleaner.

Any advise would be helpful....Thanks.
I have a 73 Z28 w/ an Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap on a SBC 350- small Holley Carb and a Cowl Induction type are cleaner and I have to run a GoodMark Cowl Induction Hood also. The air cleaner cowl "ring" w/ gasket just fits w/o any damage to the hood. I still think the Air Gap is taller than a std. Performer intake-JMO.
Z28 Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 2nd, 11, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Tripper: For a BBC it`s not any taller then a Performer-2 - Don't Know about SBC's - Check the Edelbrock Site Specs. I`ve taken the time to tell members how to build one with a BBC.

We don`t know if he`s running a SBC or BBC - Sish!

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Z15CAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 3rd, 11, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry I was in a bit of a rush when I posted my question...Yes, this is a SB car..350.

I have been getting some say yes the RPM Air Gap will fit under the hood with room to spare and others sayin it won't with the carb I will be using which is a Holley 670 cfm Street Avenger with an electric choke.
Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 10th, 11, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Beyond the factory low rise intake, none of the aftermarket intakes will clear the stock height hood on a 2nd gen Camaro with a BBC. The low rise and factory air cleaner cleared fine.
My '71 came stock with a BBC and the low rise cast iron intake. Once I decided to change to a aftermarket intake I found that no air cleaner/intake option would clear the stock hood, and finally gave up and went to the cowl hood.
The SBC 2nd Gens have a lot of clearance, and easily clear with the right dropped base air cleaner.
Old Nov 25th, 16, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Beyond the factory low rise intake, none of the aftermarket intakes will clear the stock height hood on a 2nd gen Camaro with a BBC. The low rise and factory air cleaner cleared fine.
My '71 came stock with a BBC and the low rise cast iron intake. Once I decided to change to a aftermarket intake I found that no air cleaner/intake option would clear the stock hood, and finally gave up and went to the cowl hood.
The SBC 2nd Gens have a lot of clearance, and easily clear with the right dropped base air cleaner.
Hi thanks for the info. I see you said you had to use a raised cowl hood. Did you opt for a 2" rise or the 4" rise. My 71 Cam has a 454 (short block not the tall block) Edelbrock 2.0 performer intake with a small thin adapter to allow the use of a QuickFuel square bore. When I bought the car the intake was removed their intention was to install a Weiand Team G high rise intake with a 1000 cfm Holly Dominator new parts which came with the car. SO, my question is: What size raise on the hood do I need to fit the Edelbrock QuickFuel combo, will the 2 inch rise be enough for the Team G high rise with the 750 cfm QuickFuel carb. The 71 Cam came with a fiberglass 4" rise cowl induction hood lift off. Cons I don't like the height of the hood. To me the huge hood rise takes away from the original beautiful flowing body lines. Also there are 6 hood locks to hold the hood down. What if there is a fire in the engine compartment. By the time I got the hood off, the car could be burned down to the ground. So do you think a 2 inch rise metal hood work with the Eldebrock combo and the Team G manifold combo. Thanks much for any help you can offer.
Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 26th, 16, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

In my 77 I have a sbc with an rpm non-air gap with a drop base air cleaner under a flat hood. Check the edelbrock site for measurements but i think the air gap is the same height.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.