Team Camaro Tech banner

Trying to find my way

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  bigblockragtop 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new to the group. I'm looking over everyone post trying to learn. I've always been a fan of the camaro. My son (12) and I race cars circle track and he won the championship this year after winning he came up with the great idea that we should restore a 73 so he can have a sweet ride when he turns 16. What a great idea except I know race cars not restoring cars lol. We haven't bought one yet still looking but if anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate them. And please be patient with me if I ask a lot of dumb questions. Thank you

#3 ·
Welcome to TC! Questions are good and will help you to learn. My advice is look for a straight body with little to no rust and you will save a lot of time and money. Post pictures of anything you are considering or have questions and people will tell you what they think of the car. Have fun - it sounds like a great father/son project!

#4 ·
Congrats to your son for the Championship Win! Welcome to Team Camaro. There are a bunch of great guys here to pretty much help you with anything you may need. There is also a ton of info here on the site just by using the search bar above. My dad helped my out with my 1st car('68 Camaro that I still have and am currently restoring). I look back now smiling of all the great memories both bad and good working on the car with dad. Good luck with your project.

#5 ·
Welcome, Wayne, to the Club.
Excellent Father-Son project and Good luck!
Larry suggestions are very good and post pictures for answers.
My suggestion is get a Haynes manual and start a logbook on the Camaro and write down EVERYTHING.
We Elders don't remember everything from the past as we did when younger.

#6 ·
Thanks guys for everything. After spending about 2 hours reading everyone's old post I am a little overwhelmed with all the information But I took some notes now just to find a car! If anyone can guide me in the right direction looking for a second generation Camaro that would be greatly appreciated

#9 ·
Welcome!
Your son has a great idea in wanting to get into a project with you. I got started in this hobby 40 years ago with my dad. All the memories are still fresh to this day. I will never forget how much it helped my relationship with my father and the older generation. It was a lesson learned.
I see you and your son have racing experience. To me, that's a great combination in this hobby and since you have chosen an old Camaro even better. Since you are thinking of starting with a base car, how about building a Trans Am example. There are so many stock, street modified, or pro-turing currently on the scene, it would be nice to see something different.
Good luck, and enjoy the experience with your son.

#10 ·
Well actual he almost started with a firebird. 1970 firebird went and looked at it looked great came back with a trailer and a tree fell on the barn onto the car. Then the owner wanted to keep it since homeowners was covering it.
As far as specs... Really I think he's open to anything he likes the 70 and 73. I really would like to find one with a good frame. Good pans would be a plus too but at this time he is paying for the entire project and only has about $3500 to bring the car home with. Unfortunatly this will be more like a daily driver and occasional car show. But by no means am I looking for it to be a showroom car. I don't have the knowledge for that. He will be able to drive it and enjoy the heritage of muscle cars

#11 ·
Actually, in posting Trans Am, I meant the racing series. Yes a real Camaro racer would be very expensive. I have a cruise night friend who still has his '68 SS 396. He purchased it in '70, used it as an everyday driver and in the eighties converted it into a road racer. He amateur raced it on weekends. Now it is his pride and joy and is always at the local shows and cruise nights. The car usually gets a lot of attention since it still has the trans am race style paint scheme, a big number 8 on the sides, race wheels and tires and fender decals. His original racing seat, roll bar, big gauges and switches, no carpet, and his old helmet hangs from the roll bar. At the shows the kids love it and at cruise nights he reminisces with the guys about his glory days on the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.