Please recommend best Anti-theft system for '71 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 Ground Up Restorations

Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Second Generation 1970-1981

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 2nd, 16, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tech Team

Please recommend best Anti-theft system for '71 Camaro

Can someone please recommend a very good and secure Alarm/anti-theft system for a '71 Camaro?? Also, best idea to handle being locked out if keys left inside by mistake. Do not want to leave keys or keybox on the car.
Classic68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 2nd, 16, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Re: Please recommend best Anti-theft system for '71 Camaro

Not being a smartazz, But, removing rotor was a definite anti-theft.
Installing a length of chain from the hood latch bolt and wrapping it around the latch support and padlocking the chain keeping the hood closed worked for me.
Making an extra set of keys and leave in your sock drawer was/is a good way of recovering keys left inside.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 05:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I have a shut off in the trunk for the battery(where the battery is). Biggest thing with a classic car is never take your eyes off it. If someone wants it they will take it! Even disabling it does not mean a wrecker can't pick it up in about one minute.
bigblockragtop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I have found that having two German Shepherd dogs (or in my case one German Shepherd and one really big Belgian Shepherd dog) is the best deterrent there is. My wife has a mini van and we can park it anywhere in the mall parking lot at Christmas time without any one walking within a few feet of it thanks to this decal on both of the rear quarter windows.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&psc=

I have not locked my doors in the past forty years as the dogs have free run of the house and my enclosed yard. Never had a problem even though all of my fellow law enforcement officer neighbors (there are six cops on my street alone) have had their houses burglarized several times by thieves looking for guns and electronics and expensive toys. Probably because of my dogs personality when it comes to greeting strangers.

Big Dave
Larger Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

A friend just had his 2008 trailblazer stolen. Has Alan system and a useless club on the steering. Wheel along with GM passive anti theft system.

Didn't even slow them down. The vehicle was recovered a few days later. The onstar system was ripped out the door lock punched and the steering column smashed.

Bottom line is if a crook want it and it's left unattended in the open they will get it.

Hide a key is the best idea. Pick the right spot and it not a risk of anyone finding it.
Vega$69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

All suggestions given are good but if a person wants the car bed enough, there is a way.
All the efforts do is slow the process.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tech Team

Okay... I'm hearin' dogs 'n' shotguns, type-o-stuff... (thx)..... Has anyone tried this system from Rick's? Something similar, maybe?

Keyless Entry System, Hands-free
Classic68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Team Member

My take is alarms are a waste of money. Only keeps the honest thieves away. A flashing red LED light on the dash and a battery cutoff will do that. Real thieves will take it regardless.
CarAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAddict View Post
My take is alarms are a waste of money. Only keeps the honest thieves away. A flashing red LED light on the dash and a battery cutoff will do that. Real thieves will take it regardless.
X2 They roll up in broad daylight to the place where you parked way out not close to other cars and haul it up on a flatbed. Anybody watching just figures it's an old car that broke down.

Parking way out clear of other car keeps door dings away but makes it much easier for crooks.
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 04:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Garage

Vega, do a search on here about theft deterrents. There are a few good suggestions. One involves using an extra cell phone.
arocars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

To answer your own question. How much attention do you pay to car alarms? In my experience no one even looks in the direction of a car alarm going off today.

If you want to stop thieves you have to either kill or maim them. If the dog does it and it is in your yard or car at the time you are off the hook (assumes the person who is bit is committing a crime in your yard or attempting to steal your car). Other wise hiding a cell phone in your car just gives the thief another ting to sell in my opinion.

In Florida a stolen car is in Miami being loaded on a boat headed for South America or the Caribbean within six hours of it going missing in Tampa. Why chop up a car for parts in the US when labor is so cheap elsewhere? (even thieves are competing in a global market). Besides the parts are worth three times the price of a whole car; assuming you are off shore were no one checks VIN numbers on glass or on the car parts.

Big Dave
Larger Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 05:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic68 View Post
Okay... I'm hearin' dogs 'n' shotguns, type-o-stuff... (thx)..... Has anyone tried this system from Rick's? Something similar, maybe?

Keyless Entry System, Hands-free
I looked for the system you looked at from Rick's and at $199.??, I think you can do better. That one looks like a no-name one that who knows actually makes it and what kind of support is offered should there be an issue.

Over the last few years I have been installing the Prestige line of security systems made by Audiovox and not had any real issues with them. These systems come with wiring diagrams while some you buy like ones sold by Directed Electronics (Python, Vipers, Clifford, and others from them) are only made to be installed by authorized dealers and while you can buy them online from people, they normally offer no real support or warranty for them.

If you do opt for an alarm or security system, make it hard for someone to disable it but like they say, if someone wants it bad enough, they will take it with whatever electronics you install into it (even the ones with the tracking systems on them).

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOA-Nova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 06:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

I got to see a repo crew pull a car out of our lot at work. Big Ford King Ranch crew cab with an articulating hydraulic arm under the back. Dolly on the other end. No jacks. Pulled the car out of a typical full middle lot slot. They had cops and were taking it easy but they were still in and out quick. Much faster than a roll back load. In the right scenario that rig could grab your car in under a minute with no one getting out of the truck. Id go with the cell phone or lojack and hope you find it.
Old Dec 3rd, 16, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d cad View Post
I got to see a repo crew pull a car out of our lot at work. Big Ford King Ranch crew cab with an articulating hydraulic arm under the back. Dolly on the other end. No jacks. Pulled the car out of a typical full middle lot slot. They had cops and were taking it easy but they were still in and out quick. Much faster than a roll back load. In the right scenario that rig could grab your car in under a minute with no one getting out of the truck. Id go with the cell phone or lojack and hope you find it.
Exactly. Saw the same thing. A repo guy all by himself pulled an SUV out of a tight spot and was gone with it in a couple of minutes.

Btw. The alarm was going off and nobody cared.

I try not to let mine out of sight and have god agreed value insurance
69 LS7/T56 Pro Tour #2(BUILDING)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Old Dec 4th, 16, 07:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Don't know if such a system is made but best thing I can think of is a motion switch somehow connected to a system that will page you when motion detected. Then one can come a running.
Moonpie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.