Team Camaro Tech banner

1970 major driveline problem. HELP!!!!

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  arocars 
#1 ·
Guys, I have something majorly wrong here. I have a 70 with a Blueprint racing 383, 373 Posi, and just did a conversion to a Muncie 4 speed. NEVER had an issue with the automatic until now. I put in a RAM Powergrip clutch with a 64 M20 4 speed. Factory Hurst Shifter and correct linkage. Everything is tight. BUT.....when I get this car in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, the car jerks so bad that it is uncontrollable. When I get it in 3rd and 4th there is so much noise coming from the bottom of the car (banging/ clunking) it feels like the bottom of the car is going to fall out. I thought rearend but it never made a sound before. Is this the trans??? It shifts fine but when you let off the gas all this noise happens and again when I accelerate. No the trans was not rebuilt and I checked the gears beforehand so see if there were any chipped teeth. What in the trans or clutch can do this? The driveshaft is the correct length and not bottoming out in the trans. I have never seen anything like this. Ideas???????

#7 ·
Definately check the driveline angles, good suggestion. While you're at it just verify that the U-joint bearing caps are seated correctly in yokes and that you've not over-torqued the u-bolts, they should only be about 17 ft-lbs so the bearings won't bind. Switching from an automatic to a standard, did you have to have the driveshaft shortened or lengthened to make it the "right length"? If so, was it properly balanced and verified that it is not bent or bowed?

#10 ·
Flywheel is correct....Driveshaft is brand new and balanced......BUT.....I went to take the driveshaft off and found that I can turn the driveshaft 1/2 inch both directions with the rear wheels on the ground. Turn it...CLUNK. Turn it the other way...CLUNK. Not supposed to have any pinion play at all from what I know. I don't know if a Pinion bearing blew up or rear end in general is going. Blew my mind because this gear has always been perfect. This may be the problem. I guess when I go through the gears with no driveshaft on I will know. I will keep you posted....Thanks guys.

#17 ·
Had a very similar condition in a muncie install once. found the center bearing snap ring broken out of the housing allowing the shaft to move fore and aft. it is apparently a popular condition. the snap ring breaks out of the center plate and looks like there is an additional snap ring. it is actually part of the center plate. good luck YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.