how much does a damaged subframe de-value? - Team Camaro Tech
What's it worth? & ebay discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 07, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

how much does a damaged subframe de-value?

hello all. i'm sure i'm not the only one around here with some 'battle scars' on the front center section of the subframe. many of us run them with no adverse affects. my question is this: how much does subframe damage de-value the car? if all things are the same between two cars, and one has subframe damage and one does not, how much less would you pay for the damaged frame car? anyone can find replacements these days, especially with the introduction of so many aftermarket frame sources. But, is the worth the cost to replace it, even with a $200 original subframe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: how much does a damaged subframe de-value?

wow, no responses? maybe people who have the damage are too shy to admit it? ha ha. how about rewording the questions like this: if you were looking at a car and thought it was worth $15k, and at the last minute noticed subframe damage on the front/center, how much would you lower your offer? or how about this: you loaned your car to a friend who jumped a curb and damaged what was once an untouched subframe, and even though you have no intention of replacing it, how much money do you think your friend owes you in damages? c'mon guys and gals, don't be shy...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 12:04 PM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccieng View Post
wow, no responses? maybe people who have the damage are too shy to admit it? ha ha. how about rewording the questions like this: if you were looking at a car and thought it was worth $15k, and at the last minute noticed subframe damage on the front/center, how much would you lower your offer? or how about this: you loaned your car to a friend who jumped a curb and damaged what was once an untouched subframe, and even though you have no intention of replacing it, how much money do you think your friend owes you in damages? c'mon guys and gals, don't be shy...
I do not think that the subframe in and of itself would be cause for concern, but the first thing I'd think of is all of the labor involved in switching one out. Most folks place a high value on their time,and switching out a sub is a not an easy task. If it were me, I'd want to pay a couple of thousand less for a damaged frame car, due to the time,and also the additional tweaking that may have occured to the floor pans due to the accident.

BelAir Bob

69 Z28 X33 D80 Dusk Blue
69 Z28 X33 Rally Green

http://www.belairbobs.com
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech
jason

if you are talking a few scapes from curbs ect. thats not to big a deal.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68z28sd View Post
if you are talking a few scapes from curbs ect. thats not to big a deal.
i'm not talking scrapes, more like bent metal, but not enough to affect the alignment or floor pans.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 07, 03:28 PM
Team Member
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccieng View Post
i'm not talking scrapes, more like bent metal, but not enough to affect the alignment or floor pans.
If it's a "driver" and the bent sub frame has no bearing on the driving or preformance of the car, i.e. alignment, suspension, etc. then it's probably not that huge of a deal. Maybe knock a little off of the selling price. But if it's a concouse show car ... Then I would have to say it's a real issue and replacement would have to take place if it couldn't be repaired correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode