Team Camaro Tech banner

RHD 67 Camaro

19K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  mahunt 
#1 ·
Hello everybody

I didn't know right hand drive chevy had been built, even more '67 camaro. Surprising :

the thottle pedal position !

it is in UK,
Here
(I am not sure that is the correct forum to put it, please move it if necessary)

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Hello everybody

I didn't know right hand drive chevy had been built, even more '67 camaro. Surprising :
GM NEVER built Camaros right hand drive. This has been done by someone other than GM.

Even the Pontiacs and Chevrolets that were sold new here (Australian Delivery) were shipped as partially completed, complete from only the firewall back, and were then assembled at their destination by GM Holden, or a seperate company commisioned by GMH.

NO Camaro ever rolled off the production line as a RHD vehicle.

(The 2010 Camaro is the exception, but only in prototype form.)

#5 ·
Holden did not produce R hook Camaros...they where converted by private companies.
Camaros ARE NOT TOOLED for left hook...
Have a look at say a 69 HT , HK M0naro or HQ...you will see that things like the heater box and power steering units etc etc can all be swapped from side to side, and close inspection of the dash, gauges can also be swapped.

Upto the late 50s the us car makers did produce for R hook...Hence why after there where no US cars made for the British SA, Jap, NZ markets.
Then 5 0r 10 yrs ago Dodge started tooling again for left and right hook markets.
Couple yrs ago Ford Followed , thu much of this was because of Jappa /Mazda designers
GM has been slow, I believe some of the commerical vechlices are tooled for both
The Holden Monaro, also sold as Vauxlle in UK, and cant rem the name a GM performace car in the US was tooled for L R hook.

I do not know if GM has tooled the new camaro for both, maybe next time a member gets a chance to have a good look under the hood, firewall, under the dash etc the could tell us.

#6 ·
Holden did not produce R hook Camaros...they where converted by private companies.

..I do not know if GM has tooled the new camaro for both, maybe next time a member gets a chance to have a good look under the hood, firewall, under the dash etc the could tell us.
Not sure who you are replying to, but..
Correct, GM-USA or Holden never, ever produced R hook Camaros. The Australian Deliveries were mainly Impalas, Parisiennes and hearses & such.
Companies like Chappell Engineering and Bill Buckle converted Camaros and Firebirds (and others) to order. GMH assembled the Australian delivery vehicles that were exported from Canada and were sold here as brand-new in GMH show-rooms.
Camaros for example were bought as new, then imported, and the steering convertions commisioned by private dealers like Sothern Motors for example.
By the way, the conversions were quite disgusting!

As for the new 2010 Camaro. Yes, it has been made RHD in prototype form. I've seen at least 2 driving around Melbourne by GMH employees on their way to the GMH Fishermen's Bend plant. Most are LHD, but definitely a smaller number are RHD. They may have VE Commodore dashes for all I know.

#7 ·
Here is a 1st Gen subframe converted by Chappell Engineering. They were considered to be very good in their day, but, I have absolutely no idea why! The LHD steering box was reused in this medi-evil-torture-chamber-type modification. Revolting, isn't it? SBC with ram's-horn manifolds only!!

Australian delivery GM used an exact mirror-image version of the Saginaw 800 Series steering box. Only difrerence is that it's a fixed ratio, and not variable like the LHD models.

This pic also shows that the heater box has simply been turned upside-down and the motor housing modified to fit.

This is a real mirror image, but had to be made from scratch (by me).

#9 ·
Patrice. RHD Camaros are everywhere down here, including Mustangs, Challengers, Corvettes, tri-fives, Cadillacs, Galaxies, Rivieras... you name it, there is just about any American car you can think of with the steering wheel on the wrong side..
With the exception of Impalas and Parisienne, none of them were made RHD from the factory.
Again.. GM never made a Camaro RHD, -including my one! :)

#13 ·
Patrice. RHD Camaros are everywhere down here, including Mustangs, Challengers, Corvettes, tri-fives, Cadillacs, Galaxies, Rivieras... you name it, there is just about any American car you can think of with the steering wheel on the wrong side..

Again.. GM never made a Camaro RHD, -including my one! :)
You're wright Steve. Thank you for the explanations. I didn't know before this post that they could ever exist.

#10 ·
Several islands in the Caribbean are RHD. Never, ever did I rent a car or try to drive a loaner on such islands while we were cruising. I'd be dead and the islands would quite likely have lost a citizen.

#11 ·
Were they factory right hand drive, or were they converted by hand by a company commisioned to convert them and then exported there?
I could hardly imagine GM or any other automaker spending huge amounts of money to set up a prodution line with a stack of one-of RHD parts for the huge market of the Caribbean. :p:D

It's a way bigger market down here and in Britain and they didn't do it for us!

Even our Australian Delivery cars were shipped complete only from the firewall back. The rest were parts in boxes for GMH to assemble themselves!

#17 ·
If you want a decent conversion.
One that properly pays attention to detail. One that won't ruin the steering geometry, will have a restored and not a hacked up firewall, will have a dash that doesn't squeak or rattle with every bump and actually looks good, will have a heater and ducting that still works effectively..
Not a cent less than $10K. In fact, after doing my conversion myself after morons had a go at it first, if I went into bussiness, I'd be asking $20K and I'm sure I'd get laughed at.
I'd only be able to 2 or 3 a year full time and that's still a massive pay cut to what I'm earning now as a laborer!

http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

Unless you're willing to do it yourself and do it properly, keep it LHD.

I've learnt that you can't pay someone to give a crap about your car no matter what you pay them.
Pay cheaply, you'll get a cheap job, Pay expensively, you'll get ripped off.

#18 ·
Steve,,

I went to the US MUSCLE.COM site and looked at all the work you have done to your 69. It is very impressive...I MEAN VERY IMPRESSIVE. The car looks really good and the conversion you did is awesome. You are very talented to have only gone to a trade school.

Guys if you get a chance check it out. It will take a while to go thru it.

#24 ·
In the US Virgin Islands, they do drive on the left side of the road but none of the cars are RHD.

I guess it isn't a big deal because there aren't that many cars and the islands aren't very big.

Steve,

Your underhood shots are very nice, but I can't imagine what the inside heater box and controls look like. Got any underdash photos?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.