Team Camaro Tech banner

1969 Z28 with ultra rare factory air

13K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  dhutton 
#1 ·
#12 ·
Problem is the factory never installed A/C with a flat tappet cam after 1965. So either you have the very rare factory equipped hydraulic cam or a clone (tribute, or whatever you want to call it). My favorite was the 454 equipped 1969 Z/29.

Big Dave

Actually, they did. One model that I know of. In 1972 the LT-1 Corvette was available with AC. In coupe or convertible. They didn't make many, but they are there and well documented. They did not have a deep groove pulley for the compressor.
The high revving, solid lifter cams we're why they had deep groove pulleys on those cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I thought Chevy always utilized the automatic transmission when a Z28 was equipped with *factory AC*... :) :)

PS. Even back in the '70's, 90% of the 'real 1969 Z28s' that were advertised for sale could be 'eliminated' with a simple phone call to ascertain that it had 'AC, auto, drum brakes, etc... :) This looks like it could have been one of those...

#7 ·
This topic is in my head that Vince Piggins , big honcho at GM in his day, didn't he have AC in his personal 69 Z ? Or was it some other option that only the upper brass could have.

Found it, he had a 68 Z28 convertible.
The Z28 was not available with air conditioning, automatic transmission, or in the convertible body style, although one 1968 Z-28 convertible was built via special order for a GM executive. That car still exists today.

#8 ·
Vince had them build him a 1968 Z/28 Convertible (1 of 1) with additional options. But it didn't have A/C; it had the two fours on the cross ram and Hooker headers already installed on the assembly line (those parts normally shipped with the car, but lying in the trunk).

GM Chief Got Only ?68 Camaro Z/28 Convertible

To misquote Mel Brooks in History of the World; "It's good to be the boss!"

Big Dave

PS yes above I mentioned a flat tappet cam but yes I meant to say a flat tappet solid lifter cam, and I need to demote the Z/29 back to a Z/28. My typing finger is wandering even more than usual leaving a trail of spleling errors. It was to correct those misteeks that I asked to be made a mod on Team Nova originally (just to be able to edit my posts to correct typos and poor grammar caused by missing nouns or verbs or too many adjectives).

Who knowns: I might make mod here one day if I live long enough.

Big Dave

#10 ·
Could be a genuine Z with A/C added from a junkyard donor, I know of a documented Z/28 that had this done in the 70's; owner loved the car but couldn't stand the summer humidity, so did the swap, (firewall mods and all) to put in a complete factory setup.

#13 ·
In a strange twist of fate I ended up buying this and dragging it home yesterday. I'm sure it will be a valuable collector car one day... LOL...

Don

#14 ·
Actually the solid cam's ability to throw V-belts at a moments notice is the reason for the deeper V pulleys on solid lifter cars. It is also why Chevy went to the long water pump. Just so they could bring the accessories in closer to the engine. Less (shorter) belt reduced tendency to throw a belt.

Chevy stopped putting A/C units on cars because a lot of Impalas shipped with a 409. When Junior borrowed mom's car he often over reved the A/C compressor which burns out the main seal causing all of the refrigerant to leak out. Most of the flat tappet small blocks where installed in cars without A/C (Corvettes or Chevelles, or the high reving hydraulic cammed L-79 in the Chevy II).

On modern cars the computer turns off the A/C when the RPM gets above 4,200 RPM to save the seal, not to make more horsepower, or to save the planet from green house gasses. It is all about reducing warranty claims that motivates GM to make these changes.

It was easier in terms of saving warranty claims (money) for GM to simply deny the installation of A/C on any flat tappet cammed car than to build one without a warranty (believe it or not Chevy offered no warranty on their special order FX or SS race cars back in the sixties), or to continue to replace compressors under warranty that had gone bad due to "abuse" the favorite word in the claims adjuster's vocabulary.

Big Dave

#16 ·
Actually the solid cam's ability to throw V-belts at a moments notice is the reason for the deeper V pulleys on solid lifter cars. It is also why Chevy went to the long water pump. Just so they could bring the accessories in closer to the engine. Less (shorter) belt reduced tendency to throw a belt.

Chevy stopped putting A/C units on cars because a lot of Impalas shipped with a 409. When Junior borrowed mom's car he often over reved the A/C compressor which burns out the main seal causing all of the refrigerant to leak out. Most of the flat tappet small blocks where installed in cars without A/C (Corvettes or Chevelles, or the high reving hydraulic cammed L-79 in the Chevy II).

On modern cars the computer turns off the A/C when the RPM gets above 4,200 RPM to save the seal, not to make more horsepower, or to save the planet from green house gasses. It is all about reducing warranty claims that motivates GM to make these changes.

It was easier in terms of saving warranty claims (money) for GM to simply deny the installation of A/C on any flat tappet cammed car than to build one without a warranty (believe it or not Chevy offered no warranty on their special order FX or SS race cars back in the sixties), or to continue to replace compressors under warranty that had gone bad due to "abuse" the favorite word in the claims adjuster's vocabulary.

Big Dave

I guess the 1972 LT-1 air Corvettes must have had an exemption of they just factored in enough cost to cover whatever warranty claims may have occurred. Makes sense about the seal leakage. That is the Achilles heel. The air vetted even had a lower redline tach than the non air cars. 5800 RPM vs 6500. Seems like a well placed Hobs switch would have safeguarded the seal-clutch on the AC compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
This topic caused me memories of a similar topic since Dave mentioned throwing belts.

In the 60"s before I bought my Z, I had a 57 Chevy with the 365 hp 327 and 3 speed (I could not afford a 4 speed) ,
When I ever got on it and often I did, I had to be careful of not only throwing a belt, The generator would sling out all the solder in the back brush end. So when the solder went , it tore up the brushes. I carried an extra generator and belts.

This was before upgrading to an alternator.

#25 · (Edited)
I'll try to take a few this weekend. Nothing special, a builder shell that someone had stuck some Z28 badges and stripes on. Needs quarters and floors but solid rockers and frame rails etc.

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.