1969 X11 RS/SS350 Period Correct, Potentially Numbers Matching - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
What's it worth? & ebay discussions

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage
Re: 1969 X11 RS/SS350 Period Correct, Potentially Numbers Matching

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSSfanatic View Post
If it all checks out, and there is no major rust hiding under the paint or in the frame and floor pans, then this is a deal you should jump on at $20K. I like this car - looks to be very original, my favorite color (originally), and no one has slapped the ubiquitous rear spoiler on the deck lid. I would buy it, get it running, and eventually restore it to its original Rally Green glory!
As much as I would love to pick this up for $20k, he already has an offer for $25k on it. I could probably get it for a little more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 02:58 PM
John

Garage

Sellers don't alway tell the truth about offers they have received.

Walk up and tell him $20k cash in hand. Then go from there.
BULLITT65 and 69L48Z27 like this.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

$40-$45k is the absolute top of the market for a very nicely restored and documented car. You'll have $25k in that in no time and your light on paperwork. POP and window sticker are really needed to make an X11 car undeniable. I would also get pics of all the stamps and post them.

Like John said - cash talks, BS walks. Get agressive.
DT likes this.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1968 Plymouth GTX

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 07:05 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69L48Z27 View Post
$40-$45k is the absolute top of the market for a very nicely restored and documented car. You'll have $25k in that in no time and your light on paperwork. POP and window sticker are really needed to make an X11 car undeniable. I would also get pics of all the stamps and post them.

Like John said - cash talks, BS walks. Get agressive.
Absolutely agree with this!!

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Convertible (just arrived)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Are you buying the car to keep and enjoy or flip it? If you plan to keep and enjoy it then a few extra thousand spread over many years of ownership is not significant enough to lose the deal in my opinion. Besides rally green rocks! lol...

Don
RSSSfanatic likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2
1969 Camaro project
1970 Z28 project - sold
1968 Firebird project
1969 Z28 factory air project
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 09:16 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Nice car. 15-20K ?
x2...20 if you're sure there's no more significant rust, other than the trunk.

The trunk and the quarter panel wheel openings are probably the most common rust areas on a first gen. Deluxe interior cars had a rubber trunk mat which contributed to the problem, imo.

Around the front and rear window openings, and floor pans are also quite common. You really need to pull the carpet up to check the pans as they usually rust from the inside out, unless its seen a lot of road salt.

Mostly original, unmolested, nice color and interior combo.

Good luck !

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Sellers don't alway tell the truth about offers they have received.

Walk up and tell him $20k cash in hand. Then go from there.
Money talks bro. There are a ton of guys that will throw out a figure and then flake when it comes to make a deal.
Also (as stated) sellers will use these "pie in the sky" offers to try to get real buyers to up their offer.

Have the 20k in your hand and make your case of it not running and all the other detractors, or take me or Vegas and we will get the deal done for you....lol (j/k)

1969 Z28 Ride Of The Month Winner April 2016

Looking for
Original spiral shocks- 3192477 (front)
-3192851 (rear)
-An original LOF soft ray windshield
-original Hood insulation
-JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET items
Plymouth Michigan (1968-1970)
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 05:52 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Clifton,
The pictures you took look good, but you didn't take any pictures of the typical problem areas. I would suggest you do a search on here of specific places to look on these cars for problems. If it needs a trunk pan, it may need other metal as well. Body work gets expensive quickly. I would get underneath that car before I offered a penny on it.
I agree that I would not try to start that engine. If you buy it, tow it home and plan to rebuild the engine.
If the rust is limited to the trunk pan only, looking at the pictures, $20-25k is not unreasonable.
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Are you buying the car to keep and enjoy or flip it? If you plan to keep and enjoy it then a few extra thousand spread over many years of ownership is not significant enough to lose the deal in my opinion. Besides rally green rocks! lol...

Don
This is my line of thought as well. I have zero intentions of flipping and plan to actually get many miles out of whatever car I end up with.

I'll do a more thorough check for rust and find the partial vin on the engine.

Why should I not try and get the engine running? Will that potentially cause damage or are we just trying to an increase in the price?

Thanks,
Clifton
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB View Post
This is my line of thought as well. I have zero intentions of flipping and plan to actually get many miles out of whatever car I end up with.

I'll do a more thorough check for rust and find the partial vin on the engine.

Why should I not try and get the engine running? Will that potentially cause damage or are we just trying to an increase in the price?

Thanks,
Clifton
My goal would be to get the deal done ASAP before someone else scoops it. Cars like that are rare around Dallas and lots of guys are looking for them.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2
1969 Camaro project
1970 Z28 project - sold
1968 Firebird project
1969 Z28 factory air project
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 11:33 AM
John

Garage

I agree with Don. If it's a car that you intend to drive and enjoy as a work in progress it's looks like a good start. An extra couple Gs isn't a big deal.

If your intention is to immediately restore it then I would be careful in evaluating the restoration cost and adjust my max purchase price accordingly
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 17, 01:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

If it were mine, I would pull the motor and tranny when I got it home, get the engine on a stand, and pull all the tin off of it, along with the intake manifold. That would give you a chance to evaluate the condition of the engine close up and personal - I would take a close look at the condition of the cam and lifters - maybe pull each lifter to check for excessive wear and then readjust the valve - relatively simple procedure. While the pan is off, check bearings for damage / wear. Of course, before you do this, you could turn it over by hand, and if it turns freely, maybe even perform a compression or leakdown test to check for obvious problems. Me being me, I would probably allocate for a full rebuild and new accessories like water pump, alt, and starter, just to get you to the point where it will be worry free when you start driving it.

Make sure that radiator is full of antifreeze - I have seen people cut corners and just refill with mostly water, which can result in a cracked block on a car where it gets really cold and has been sitting for many years.

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 06:58 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

I'm the optimist on the engine. Get it home, clean the lines and tank and carb, and fire it off. Storing it won't make the motor bad. Nor will it make the oil bad.

The motor could have problems when it was stored - what's the owner say?

Kurt S.
CRG -
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 17, 07:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Just for the heck of it, whats the VIN? The tag and surrounding firewall look original and untouched. As described, I would pay up to $25K. Don't even try to get it running. Just trailer it or drag it home!! That's not going to be around very long.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1984 Camaro z/28 LG4 auto
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 17, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt S View Post
I'm the optimist on the engine. Get it home, clean the lines and tank and carb, and fire it off. Storing it won't make the motor bad. Nor will it make the oil bad.

The motor could have problems when it was stored - what's the owner say?
He said the carb needs some work. He bought a new filter about 20 years ago but never installed it (in fact, the filter was sitting on the seat of the car). He said it'll start but it's going to smoke.

I'm interested in y'alls advice of just getting it home and trying to start it after cleaning it up a bit. I'm just worried about getting home and having the engine be completely useless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode