1969 X11 RS/SS350 Period Correct, Potentially Numbers Matching - Team Camaro Tech
What's it worth? & ebay discussions

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage
1969 X11 RS/SS350 Period Correct, Potentially Numbers Matching

I'm looking at buying a 1969 Camaro X11. Current owner is the second owner, has no documentation. It's been sitting in a garage for twenty years now. Current owner has had it since 1978, and the prior owner passed away recently.

I went to visit it last weekend. The car didn't have a battery so we couldn't get it running. I'm going to visit again in a couple weeks with a battery and a mechanic to help with an estimate on the engine. He says the engine will run but it's going to be rough and smoke. The carburetor needs work (I'm assuming more than that as well). I was an amateur and struggling finding the partial vins on the engine and transmission. I'll look again for the partial vin on the engine, but I'm pretty sure the partial vin for the transmission is on top and not accessible for us at the moment. I have no reason to not believe the guy that it is all original, but he admits there's a 9 year gap that he can't account for.

Engine code: T0930HA
Axle: BS0929G1 E
Transmission: P9R02A
Date from trim tag: 10C

It had two fuel lines, 28 coils for the hood, the exhaust plate on driver side rear, correct amount of bulbs, front disc breaks, power steering, and everything else I checked for matched it being the SS350 L48.

Thinks not shown in pictures:
* Trunk pan needs to be replaced
* Brakes need to be redone
* Engine is going to need work.
* Missing front/rear bumpers
* Small dent on both rear panels where bondo was used.
* Rust seems minimal but I'm an amateur. If the trunk is severally rusted and has holes in it, how serious of rust can I expect throughout? The car has been garaged almost for its entire life.
* Heater works, no AC, has astro ventilation.
* Since it's been sitting, I know I'll need to replace the fuel tank, fuel lines, and other things like that. Interior needs to be completely redone. Steering wheel will be replaced with a correct wheel.
* Original paint is Rallye Green with the Deluxe Black interior.
* Needs replaced muffler

I attached as many photos as I could. You can find more here: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet . I know they're poor photos and probably don't show what you need to see to get an accurate estimate. When I go back in a couple weeks I can get any photos that y'all think are important, though I'd like to buy it by then for a fair price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	171074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	171082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	171090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	171098  

Name:	IMG_0337.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	171106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	171114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	171122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	171130  

Name:	IMG_0343.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	171138  

Last edited by Vega$69; Jan 10th, 17 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 08:55 AM
Kevin

Re: 1969 X11 RS/SS350 Period Correct, Potentially Numbers Matching

Clifton, from the pics, it looks like it's all correct. The Vins on the engine and trans will confirm it, but the dates and codes all line up perfectly. But Trans code should not have a Z, could it be a 2? Transmission: P9R02A. That would make it an Oct 02 date.

Too bad they repainted it from Rally Green, RG is a stunning color!

Good Luck on the purchase!
RSSSfanatic likes this.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Clifton, from the pics, it looks like it's all correct. The Vins on the engine and trans will confirm it, but the dates and codes all line up perfectly. But Trans code should not have a Z, could it be a 2? Transmission: P9R02A. That would make it an Oct 02 date.

Too bad they repainted it from Rally Green, RG is a stunning color!

Good Luck on the purchase!
Yes, it's definitely a 2. My handwriting is bad, and I misread my own notes.

I unfortunately can no longer edit the original post. Sorry for that mistake to anyone else who reads this thread.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

We have a 10D X11 SS car that's legit. Tag looks very similar w/ no filler in the rivets.

Looks like your on the right track like Kevin said.

Good luck!

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
1968 Plymouth GTX
2004 C5 Vert
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 06:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage

Nice car. 15-20K ?
69L48Z27 likes this.

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
Don

If I came across that car I would not be wasting time messing around seeing if it will start. I would get it bought and home in no time. Assume a complete engine rebuild.

Don
socal_tom and anguilla1980 like this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2
1969 Camaro project
1970 Z28 project - sold
1968 Firebird project
1969 Z28 factory air project
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 07:07 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB View Post
Yes, it's definitely a 2. My handwriting is bad, and I misread my own notes.

I unfortunately can no longer edit the original post. Sorry for that mistake to anyone else who reads this thread.
Fixed it for you
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage

Don just gave you some very good advice , your buying a project not a car you can drive home correct ?
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 03:59 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Looks promising! If it all checks out, it would be a nice car to restore.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 05:34 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

It certainly appears to be an SS with what you have found on the car. Remember 90% of X11 cars are NOT real SS car's. X11 is an appearance package. Just throwing this out there as I do not know what your plans are or expectations. Good Luck !!

X11- Hmmmm
X22- confirmed SS (BB)
X33- Z28
X55- Confirmed SS
X66- " " (BB)
X77- Z28

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 ...

1969 Convertible (just arrived)
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_tom View Post
Don just gave you some very good advice , your buying a project not a car you can drive home correct ?
I was hoping for a light project. With this car, I'd like to fix the engine, brakes, redo the interior, and be able to drive it while restoring the rest of the car before doing a complete nut and bolt restoration some day in the future. I do not expect to be able to drive it home.

With that said, what is the market like on a car like this (just assuming the numbers are matching)? I checked E-Bay sold listings and didn't see any numbers matching SS350s, let alone with a manual transmission. It was just clone after clone. I did see a nice RS/SS 350 that Vegas69 purchased and flipped last summer for around 40k on this forum.

The 15-20k post above seems low, as much as I would love to get it for that. I believe the guy already has an offer for 25k and was hoping for a little more out of me. Is this just way too much in this condition? I'm not trying to flip the car and make a profit or anything, but if I need to keep searching for a better deal I will.

And yes, thank you, I've read about how X11 has a low chance of being a real SS. At this point I'm assuming I was just an idiot when trying to find the partial vin, and I'll be able to find it next visit. Everything seems to be lining up that this is in fact a numbers matching SS350, but I'll obviously confirm that before purchase.
DT likes this.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 06:17 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Another thing, did you notice where the speedometer cable was on the firewall ??

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 ...

1969 Convertible (just arrived)
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 06:18 AM
John

Garage

FYI I sold my #s matching SS/RS350 4 Speed X55 in near perfect condition. Glacier Blue/Black Vinyl Top Standard Interior, Console, Gauges, Tilt Wheel for $42K. Color may have held it back a little as I thought it would bring $45K.

Tough spot. I wouldn't pay more then about $20K for it. But if I was selling I wouldn't take less then $25K

Need to determine the cost will will take to bring it up to the quality you want for yourself.

Paint can be $8K-$10K or more depending on bodywork and rust repair. Interior maybe $1000 or so. Carpet, Headliner, dash pad condition?

Engine could be a simple $150 tune up to a complete rebuild. Brakes, Fuel tank and lines? Tires? Exhaust? In the long run you could end up putting another $20K-$25K into it if you want a near perfect car. Or you can perhaps get the engine going without too much trouble, clean up the interior, touch up the paint and call it good.
CDB likes this.

Last edited by Vega$69; Jan 11th, 17 at 06:37 AM.
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
CDB
Gold Lifetime Member
Clifton

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
FYI I just sold my #s matching SS350 4 Speed X55 in near perfect condition. Glacier Blue/Black Vinyl Top Standard Interior, Console, Gauges,Tilt Wheel for $42K
Thanks! That's good information to have in deciding what I consider this car to be worth.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 11:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

If it all checks out, and there is no major rust hiding under the paint or in the frame and floor pans, then this is a deal you should jump on at $20K. I like this car - looks to be very original, my favorite color (originally), and no one has slapped the ubiquitous rear spoiler on the deck lid. I would buy it, get it running, and eventually restore it to its original Rally Green glory!

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode