Team Camaro Tech banner

1967 RS Conv

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  rc1969 
#1 · (Edited)
I definitely don't need another car but a '67 RS Convertible caught my eye and I'm considering it but not sure what the street value is or even if he is in the ball park for what he is asking.

The car is advertised as a '67 RS/SS Conv but its obviously not an SS. It only has RS badges (grill, front fenders, rear gas cap and steering wheel, hideaway headlights) It has a 327 period correct motor with a Holley carb but the motor is not numbers matching. It is white with a black bumble bee stripe, a black manual conv top and a bright red interior. He has owned it for 20 years and it was painted prior to his ownership. Appears to be all metal and in great shape with driver quality paint. Factory 4 speed car with an open rear. He think the transmission and rear are the factory originals. He is asking $29,500 without much wiggle room maybe he might take 27-28ish. Interior is the standard interior and in beautiful shape. Car also has the factory tach and gauges. Is he in the ball park?

Also what should I be looking at specifically to document that it is a real RS?

#3 ·
What is meant by electric setup and the doors opening and closing?

Thanks

#6 ·
#7 ·
Yep, should be a 3L on the tag. If it were an SS-350, there would also be a 4P. Sometimes the 4P is kind of "hiding" close to the rivet - I didn't notice mine for quite a while after I bought the car; I thought mine was a clone until a friend pointed out the magical 4P!

How much value does the SS option add to a car like this? Might be letting one of my cars go in the near future, and I am starting to try to figure out a value.

#10 ·
Got an update from the owner that it doesnt start or run and it has been in storage for a bit. Supposedly ran when he parked it there. Someone who was interested tried his best to start it and played around with the distributor unsuccessfully. Starting to make me wonder, why would he have a potential buyer screwing around with the engine and then not purchase the car?

#12 ·
That seems like it is a nice car. The biggest worry would be the inner rockers, if they have any rot the replacement cost is quite expensive. I am sure the engine would start with new gas(if the owner is being honest). It may not start due to someone messing with the timing though lol. Bring a mechanic if you really want the car, I am prejudice to convertibles. I do not see the value of these cars or 55 Chevy's going down any time soon.

#13 ·
It sure looks like a nice car.
Like anything else in the rust belt, you have to get underneath it and really check it out.
It doesn't bother me that someone else didn't buy it.
And it doesn't bother me that he let someone fiddle with it to try to start it. Use the fact that it doesn't run as a bargaining chip.
Unless something is just plain broken in the engine, it probably will start with some clean gas and tinkering. Put it on a trailer and get it running at your house.
$25-30k fair market value.

#14 ·
If the car in question is indeed the one linked in post
#9, $29k is too much. Per the add linked the car runs
and sounds great yet the OP says it won't start.
Underside of trunk lid was neglected on frame up
restoration. I see paint problems under the rear bumper.
There is a puddle of anti-freeze on the intake manifold.
There is orange overspray on the exhaust manifolds.
All of this makes me doubt the level of detail performed
on the restoration. Also the lack of underbelly pics is a
negative to me. Ask for pics of the restoration process.
On the surface the car is a looker but......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.