Looking at a '68 RS - Team Camaro Tech
What's it worth? & ebay discussions

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Looking at a '68 RS

Hi Everybody. I joined this group in the hope of getting help in making a good decision on buying a nice-looking '68 RS up here in Canada. According to the 3rd owner and what I could glean from the VIN, this car left the factory painted a light turquoise blue/green with a 327, 2-speed powerglide, column shifter. The car was restored and painted Fathom Blue in 2000. New black vinyl roof, Gaps and fit are good. Minor rust on a rear quarter was replaced with welded metal. No body filler on car. Transmission changed to Turbo 350 with floor console. 2500 miles on re-built, original 327, mild cam. stock exhaust manifold, custom dual pipes. original 10-bolt rear end, Tight front-end, re-done suspension, factory a/c (needs replacement) interior re-done, front brakes converted to disc. One hide-away headlight does not completely open.

For some reason photos of the car won't upload. Files may be too large, but the body and paint look very good...not perfect, of course, but still very nice, no obvious issues. Long-distance driver, no problem. The asking price is $35,000.00 Canadian. Does that seem reasonable? Thanks for any questions or comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	174914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	174922  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 05:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Re: Looking at a '68 RS

Being a Canadian car I'd worry about rust issues. It's nice to have a deluxe interior and the walnut steering wheel is a nice addition.

I'm sure the experts will weigh in (and of course want more pictures - maybe put them on Photobucket) but I think the $26,700 USD price seems a little high. You'd really need to inspect completely under the car and the see the usual rust spots.
Cam Arrow likes this.

'68 numbers matching J-6 Rally Sport
'68 numbers matching C-C Base - (SOLD)
'68 numbers matching J-2 Rally Sport (SOLD)
My Motto: WWCD
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Arrow View Post
Hi Everybody. I joined this group in the hope of getting help in making a good decision on buying a nice-looking '68 RS up here in Canada. According to the 3rd owner and what I could glean from the VIN, this car left the factory painted a light turquoise blue/green with a 327, 2-speed powerglide, column shifter. The car was restored and painted Fathom Blue in 2000. New black vinyl roof, Gaps and fit are good. Minor rust on a rear quarter was replaced with welded metal. No body filler on car. Transmission changed to Turbo 350 with floor console. 2500 miles on re-built, original 327, mild cam. stock exhaust manifold, custom dual pipes. original 10-bolt rear end, Tight front-end, re-done suspension, factory a/c (needs replacement) interior re-done, front brakes converted to disc. One hide-away headlight does not completely open.

For some reason photos of the car won't upload. Files may be too large, but the body and paint look very good...not perfect, of course, but still very nice, no obvious issues. Long-distance driver, no problem. The asking price is $35,000.00 Canadian. Does that seem reasonable? Thanks for any questions or comments.
First off Mike, welcome aboard!
For me it does seem to be on the high side being a 327, 10 bolt car with simple modifications that make it more driver friendly. What I don't like is the a/c not working and stating needed replaced. Is it the GM unit? As already mentioned having it on a lift to view the underneath is important and taking someone who knows Camaro's can assist with evaluation. Probably in this case the most important person to look at the car is someone very knowledgeable with body work.
Just to know, buying a project and getting it to this point would cost more. Personally, I'd look for a car that long term would be a better investment.
Welcome aboard again!
Cam Arrow likes this.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

I agree about the rust check. The seller has agreed to letting me get the car inspected up a hoist.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Yes, it was the factory-installed a/c unit.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Assuming there are no rust issues, I'd say the price is in the ball park. The A/C may be expensive to work on though. I have no experience there. Z22, Z87, C60 are some of the classier options to have and nice color combo as well. Brakes and TH350 were good upgrades. The headlight door problem should be an easy fix. Most likely the actuator needs lube.

Curious what the original color was as there were a few shades of turquoise offered ? 1st generation Camaro factory paint

Any chance that 327 is an L30 ?

edit; As Jim mentioned, to avoid photo limitations, it's best to store them at a photo hosting site such as Photobucket, Flikr, etc, then copy and paste them over here.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Feb 12th, 17 at 10:38 PM.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

Good luck, Mike, with the buy.
As said, inspect carefully.
Correct year
MangeMD and VitaminC like this.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'I wish the Dollar Store would sell gas. '
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

It had a frame-off restoration and the body was dipped. The seller claims its rust-free and the undercarriage is in excellent condition.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

The VIN and the seller both say the 327 is an L30. The original colour was Tripoli Turquoise.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Does it have wing windows? No, sorry wrong year then! Nice car but as others have said it seems on the high side. The great part of these cars is the value stays or goes up not down. If you drive it and enjoy it for years you will get all or almost all of your money back. unless you get that horse power bug, then all bets are off.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
The VIN and the seller both say the 327 is an L30. The original colour was Tripoli Turquoise.
You mean the suffix code on the engine I presume. The VIN will only distinguish V8 or L6. The main difference between the 210 & 275 hp engines, besides the carb, was the heads. An L30 would have "double hump/camel hump" markings on the end of the head. Good color too !

I don't know what the exchange rate is..just took Jim's word for it. We need more pix of course, but 26.7 K USD is about the going price for a nice, solid driver with desirable options and colors....imho.
Cam Arrow likes this.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
VIN will not tell you it is an L30, the engine suffix will: 1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding
If, and that is a big if, the car received a quality restoration, the price is not unreasonable when using the US/CAN conversion. If you paid a shop to restore a car it would be far more than $26.776.83 US Currency. I have seen many hackjobs on cars so be forewarned: Find someone who knows how to analyze bodywork before your pull the trigger.
Find a host and post more pictures if you can.
Cam Arrow likes this.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

A local speed shop told me today that I'm looking at close to $5,000.00 to restore the a/c. Maybe I don't need a/c. I can always d/n (Drive North)
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Quote:
A local speed shop told me today that I'm looking at close to $5,000.00 to restore the a/c. Maybe I don't need a/c. I can always d/n (Drive North)
You can rip it out and put in a Vintage Air system for maybe $1500 USD.

'68 numbers matching J-6 Rally Sport
'68 numbers matching C-C Base - (SOLD)
'68 numbers matching J-2 Rally Sport (SOLD)
My Motto: WWCD
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
I will assume you are doing none of the work yourself, because it does not cost that much to have your system rebuilt and converted by Classic Auto Air. Classic Auto Air - Air Conditioning & Heating for 70’s & Older Cars & Trucks.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode