'69 RS/Z Project - Team Camaro Tech
What's it worth? & ebay discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

'69 RS/Z Project

Don't see too many original-engine Rally Sport Z/28 projects. Nice color combo, and the body-color bumper is a nice touch. I think it's easily worth the opening $20k bid, may reach the $30k mark if a couple people really want it.

The seller calls it a Van Nuys car in the description, but the VIN is obviously Norwood, so I would want to ask that question first. Hoping that's a typo.

1969 Camaro RS/Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 09:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: '69 RS/Z Project

Just my .02 but this car is over it value by double already. Based on what he is sharing on Ebay I think it's a clone and would bid accordingly. He claims numbers matching driveline but posts no pictures, also no picture of VIN or trim tag. I'm assuming it's fully disassembled and all of the "important" things we should be seeing he has not photographed. Until proven otherwise let the buyer beware.

Jeff
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

I hear you on the lack of disclosure, but I've since learned that it was owned by a trusted Camaro guy back in the 1990s. I'd ask for pics but I'd be very comfortable bidding on the car knowing it had been Gregg's in the past.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 04:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sonny

Garage

That is a great project, if it's the real deal I think that would be something worth restoring.

1969 Z28 (Sold)
1970 RS Z28 Camaro (Green)
1970 Z28 (Blue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I would love to have that car as it was before the tear-down, dents and dings included. Would have made it easy to just drive and enjoy the heck out of it for a few years, without worrying about the odd scrape or rock chip.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Raced in E/MP at Lions in LA. Now restoring!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 12:35 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

With all the bad news in the updated info - decked block, can't see engine stamp, cowl tag is at the body shop "holding is hostage", no partial VIN on the trans, I'm afraid he's gonna have to accept a loss. No ebay feedback sure doesn't help.

At least it's a no reserve auction. If someone can come up with some sort of documentation, they might get a decent deal...assuming he gets the cowl tag back !?

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Mar 20th, 17 at 12:51 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 02:00 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

X2 Garth, the updated info is a big disappointment. Without documentation, the car's pedigree is at best doubtful, and at worst gone forever.
Not sure about the trans being original either, to me it looks like a 661 main case (but can't get a clear enlargement from the Ebay pic), and since the car's full vin hasn't been listed, impossible to know if it's a late enough build that a 661 could be original.
I feel for the seller, but all the more reason to wish the car had been left as it was, a bit shabby yet cool and identifiable.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Raced in E/MP at Lions in LA. Now restoring!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 06:15 AM
John

Garage

IMO even if you got it for $20k by the time you finish restoring it you'll be upside down.

Still needs a quarter replaced and finishing the rest of the body work and paint will cost a fair amount in time and money.

Looking at the pile of parts I see 4 leaf rear springs which helps verify it may be a real Z. However it also appears all of the parts are in poor condition as well a missing lot of parts that will be expensive to replace.

It sounds like the M21 (not a "Rock Crusher") needs to be rebuilt. The picture of the engine shows a roller cam installed which I believe kills the DZ allure and value.

Anybody bidding should do a realistic estimate is cost to finish v value when finished. As I see it it's a dreamer car.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 06:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

.. and the engine will be impossible for anyone to confirm that it's an original DZ block... all internals *upgraded* and the block decked (removing the app stamping and broach marks)... the owner definitely screwed up on this...

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 08:31 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28-RS View Post
.. and the engine will be impossible for anyone to confirm that it's an original DZ block... all internals *upgraded* and the block decked (removing the app stamping and broach marks)... the owner definitely screwed up on this...
It really seems like the owner really didn't do any research on proper restoration techniques assuming this is legit. I would have a hard time paying anywhere near what the bid is right now knowing the outstanding issues.

My 69 Build thread :

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 08:43 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

25K Bid Retracted after the auction was updated with all the bad news...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 08:59 AM
Bill

He sent me a picture of the transmission stamp and it is a P0B17B. a 70 date.
I think he said 400 horse but motor is 9 to 1 with what I would assume a hydraulic roller. Too bad the car was taken apart like it was
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 17, 04:42 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Ruined the value of the 302 with all the "upgrades". A knowledgeable muscle car guy should know better. Removing the trim tag?????
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 17, 08:18 AM
Tech Team
Richard

I put eyes on the car and the engine VIN did match the car as well as the Hidden VIN's matched. The engine was rebuilt by a performance guy in OC but not a resto guy. The tranny and rear end probably don't match. Tranny for sure doesn't as I found vin on top of case. Rear end date codes to May and Car is a aug build. I did see the pics of pre restoration and cowl tag on the car. Why the resto guy doing work for him touched it who knows. Did massive value damage during partial resto. 3 owner car.

Cowl tag off is big problem, he has since elected to keep car and restore. You'll have to put in at least 70k to get it restored as is. The guy who owns it is a very reputable person ( i.e top government official ).
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 17, 12:21 AM
wiii

I enjoy this awesome project . It seems that ıt is worth for restoring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode