Team Camaro Tech banner

67 Marina Blue Convertible

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  frankk 
#1 ·
Hi
Since my unsuccessful try to get a better price for the black SS,. I found another nice convertible:

1967 Chevrolet Camaro Rally Sport | eBay

Ii's not an SS but the car looks very nice on the pictures.I like the color combination.
As it looks, all numbers are ok too.
The RS hidden light door on the right side looks like he need some improovment, but this is not dramatic.
Seller told me the car has factory disc brake at the front and rear drums. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any pictures from under the car, but the floor on the pictures looks very solid.
The car is near Houston.
What do you think?

Daniel

#2 ·
Wow Daniel, i have to appreciate the position you are in, wondering about a car on a different continent. Thats a nice looking car in a well done teaser ad that answers almost none of the questions you need to ask to value the car. You roll the dice, you take the chance.

#3 ·
I don't see disc brakes mentioned in the add. After checking the CRG site the master cylinder looks odd. Maybe a changed unit. I can't make out any discs in the pictures of the wheels. I don't know it 67's would show the J 52 on the firewall tag. Of which is a poor picture as usual from these dealers.
At first look, the car is nice, but we will have to hear from some 67 guys about the details.
$33,500 BIN seems high, currently $18,700. I'm thinking (if all is legit) 25k due to odd set up of 327 with a 3spd manual hurting the value.

#5 ·
I like it. It looks to be in very good shape. The floors look great. They got the nose stripe right. They didn't try to re-badge it as something else. They didn't put a tail spoiler on it. The hose clamps are the original style. The gaps look good.

I was unimpressed with the non-power brakes. Plastic rear window?

Assuming the quarter panels and trunk floor are as clean and rust free as the floors, then I think it has value of $25k-$32k.

#7 ·
I like it. It looks to be in very good shape. The floors look great. They got the nose stripe right. They didn't try to re-badge it as something else. They didn't put a tail spoiler on it. The hose clamps are the original style. The gaps look good.

I was unimpressed with the non-power brakes. Plastic rear window?

Assuming the quarter panels and trunk floor are as clean and rust free as the floors, then I think it has value of $25k-$32k.
Stripe is incorrect, too much gap between outer lines and main body.
67 RS 3 piece lower moldings also came with rocker spears, which are missing. They cut the rear wheelwell moldings too. Car needs an inspection. A few details are wrong and some work is sloppy.
A lot of cars out there are bringing more than you would think. Good deals can be found if you hunt but like John says, not at a dealer.

#6 ·
Car would need to be seen in person. Looks nice enough in the pics but:

The brake lines off the master are a mess. The car has partial floor pan replaced which would make me question the rest of the car.

The fresh paint on the engine could mean recently rebuilt or could be lipstick on a pig.

No pictures of the undercarriage or suspension

3 speed manual tranny. A 4 speed would be better for sure.

#1 I avoid dealers like he plaque. Don't trust them.

Again with a dealer you'll spent at least $5k more the the car is worth

#8 ·
Plus, that seller has only 18 feedbacks. Even more reason to be wary. I'm in Austin. Unfortunately a little too far to go look at it. If you find one in the Austin area. I'de be happy to go take a look for you....

Brett...

Reactions: elan71
#9 ·
Thank you all for your feedback.
It is very difficult to find a car from a privat person. All I find on the internet are from dealers.
In this case, it is a deal under consigment. Maybe there are more possibilities.
Maybe I have to organise a PPI for the car.

#10 ·
One thing about 67's that is differerent is that the car is pretty well described on the trim tag. there is only one reason not to post a trim tag pic.

#12 ·
Manual disc brakes were an option on 67 only - after that I believe power brakes became mandatory with the addition of the discs. Not sure about that master cylinder - if the car was in fact a factory manual disc car, the master cylinder may have been switched out with an aftermarket unit, because the factory originals are no longer available and extremely rare.

Someone asked about the rear window - ALL Camaro convertibles had the plastic rear window.

Overall a nice looking car, with a few details that need attention. Crooked emblems and headlight doors are a little concerning, as these indicate a rushed restoration and lack of attention to detail, in my opinion.

#13 ·
BTW - Daniel and I have traded some emails, and he told me that this car had been listed before and went off on eBay at high 20's. It was then re-listed, which is a little questionable.

#14 ·
Yes, this is the second listing on eBay. It is special again now, two days ago the highes bid was 18k, now it is 10k?
I like that the car is very original. If there are some inperfections, it would be a pleasure for me to fix that and make it correct. I can handle all mechanical work.

#15 ·
I think the auction ended at $29,500, although I am pretty certain that the last legitimate bid was around $15000. Those last bids were all from the same bidder, and looked to be shill bidding to get it above the asking price. Ah, eBay, ain't it great? ;)

#17 ·
I went and looked at this car. First thing I notice were bubbles and irregularities in the paint at the rear window at each corner just below the trim. There were bubbles in the paint front drivers door at the lower forward corner. There were bubbles in the paint on the passenger side just behind the door on the rear quarter lower. I suspected bondo at the top of the rear wheel well cutouts on both sides. The hood was not lined up. Door lines weren't too bad. Trunk lines were ok but I did not like the underside of the trunk lid on the forward side looks like painted over rust just my opinion. The trunk looked good from what I could see on the pan and up below the rear window. Paint runs all around the car. The engine ran nice when started but the engine was nice and warm when I got there? I did not drive the car. It dose have disc brakes up front no booster though. The under side of the car has been painted black the connectors had been replaced but I couldn't really tell what is going on without it up on a lift. The interior of the car looked ok average I would say. The top had some inside rips. The documentation looked good the car was born in PA. Pictures can be very deceiving on EBAY, it is very hard to buy a car based on pictures. Cars like theses really need to be looked at in person. This car is a 20' footer I would say. I realize the car is 50 years old but still for 33k it should be a lot nicer than what I seen. If you need help in looking at cars try and get someone in the area to go and look at it. My advice to you is to stay away from this one.

#18 ·
Thank you Alex
I have a PPI report from the car in front of me which shows exactly what you say.
The car needs some metal work and a new paint. Rear suspension needs new bushes for sure, and maybe some other stuff. On the pictures the bonned gabs are bad and even both doors are not good adjusted or there is something wrong with the fenders.
The price is to hight. The dealer offer me 28500 but I guess this is still too much.
Well, well, it is not easy to find a nice 67 RS convertible.

Thanks all here for the support. This forum with all the members are amazing, thank you!
Daniel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.