Team Camaro Tech banner

1969 Camaro RS SS (eBay)

8K views 53 replies 18 participants last post by  Brettallen59 
#1 ·
Hey guys,just joined the forum. Just purchased a 1969 RS SS 396 4-speed survivor off eBay. Numbers matching drivetrain with dusk blue exterior and dark blue interior. I’ve been looking for years so I’m glad to have finally found the car. Looking forward to hearing and learning more about these cars.

#5 ·
Don, thats the car. I made a deal offline and purchased it yesterday. The seller seemed very honest and several people I know had seen it in person prior to me buying it. Seems like a nice clean, original, car. Orginals in any variety are getting quite expensive. :|

#46 · (Edited)
Matt as a non-supporting member your photo upload space is limited to the amount logical for a profile picture upload or one posting. So your options are to either become a supporting member here, or use image tags to an off-site photo share.

Membership comes in two blends here at Team Camaro, Premium unleaded which is $19.95 a year, or a one time payment for life of $59.95 for the Gold Lifetime level of support. http://www.camaros.net/forums/payments.php

If you go off-shore beware of the recent ransom leveled by PhotoBucket to its users of $400.00 bucks a year to use your own photos. Becoming a supporting member of this site is an attractive, and painless solution and keeps your posts intact forever. 60 bucks and done. But I don't get a commission or a paycheck here so do what's in your heart.

In the meantime I've uploaded the photos from the ebay auction to the Gallery. And I added one to your profile.
Brian

#11 ·
Really looking forward to getting the car. Thanks for sharing the link on yenko.net. With my internet research (Novice) and a few questions to others with more experience with these cars it seems to all match up. The protecto plate matches the original owner's name on the vehicle inspection report. Protecto plate engine block number matches within 4 days of the actual engine block as well. T0127JB engine block/ Protecto list T0131JB. This could be up to months apart I've been told. Trans code all matches as well. I spoke to several people who had seen the car in person prior to purchasing. Sounds like a very solid true car. Interior has been updated and it had some mold issues. The stripe down the middle was obviously added at a later date. We have photos from the original owner that he took back in 69/70 and it was not on the car. It's aged with the car so it mush be an early addition. Thanks for all the feedback and I will post more photos when the car is in my possession.

#18 ·
Looks like an interesting car. I'm a little confused about part of your post:

Protecto plate engine block number matches within 4 days of the actual engine block as well. T0127JB engine block/ Protecto list T0131JB. This could be up to months apart I've been told.
Are you saying the Protecto plate shows T0131JB but the actual engine stamping is T0127JB? That would make it sound like it's not the original engine since they should match unless the dealer messed up the Protecto plate (I don't recall seeing an incorrect Protecto plate before but maybe some of the experts have).

#13 ·
Welcome Matt and congratulations from a fellow Texan! I also have a 69 SS396, but yours has a lot of really nice original survivor "Bones". You have a memorable and enviable journey ahead of you!

Brett.......

#14 ·
Thanks, my understanding the SS wheels RPO N66 was a rare option that was discontinued in late 68, Jan, 69. Build date was January 69 and they match the original photos of the car with the wheels. Is there a way to 100% determine if these came with the car? The pictures pretty much get me there but it's always nice to know 100%.

#16 ·
Go to the CRG web site Here It will help you determine the date code on the wheels. But if they discontinued them the same month your car was made, you shouldn't find any after your car was built.

Brett.....

#23 ·
As said above, in 69 the VIN was stamped on the flange where the bell housing meets. Neat car! I was watching the auction to see where this one would go. It apparently did not meet reserve at $41K on eBay. Since you bought it outside the auction, I would have to assume the actual selling price was in this ballpark. That's the tough part of gauging values based on eBay auctions - a lot of cars like this don't hit reserve, and end up selling outside the auction.

I like to keep a "pulse" of the market because I have a very similar car - except mine is a Garnet Red convetible with black deluxe. Mine lived almost all of its life on the west coast. I am pretty sure that I am the third registered owner, although it traded hands with a few collectors but was not driven before I got it. I've had it for over 20 years. Have two kids starting college in the next five years, so I like to keep an eye on the market just in case. :eek:

Enjoy your new ride! Hope you get as much enjoyment driving yours as I get from mine!

#26 ·
Ok, received the car today. It's a beauty. I took a few numbers to verify it is a numbers matching drivetrain.

VIN number 124379L522031

Engine Vin: Only can read the last 3 digits on the vertical stamp next to oil filer. 031

Axle Code: BL1203G2

Transmission Code: P9B01A
Tansmission VIN: L522031

The weird part is the protecto plate Transmission code :p9R01 and Engine Code T0131Jb does not match the engine. The Axle Code and VIN do match the protecto plate. I have confirmed it's numbers matching from the partial vins on both the Engine and Transmission.

#27 ·
What is the actual code stamped on the engine pad? Can you get a good picture of it? Can you get a good picture of the partial VIN by the oil filter flange? The codes should match the Protecto plate and the partial VIN on the engine and trans should match the car's VIN to be considered matching numbers.

Are you sure the code in the transmission is P9B01A and not P9R01A? The A won't show up on the Protecto plate so don't worry about that.

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
What is the actual code stamped on the engine pad? Can you get a good picture of it? Can you get a good picture of the partial VIN by the oil filter flange? The codes should match the Protecto plate and the partial VIN on the engine and trans should match the car's VIN to be considered matching numbers.
???

#29 ·
Hopefully Kurt or someone with access to the CRG database will be able to help with the mismatch numbers between the engine stamp and the protect-o-plate.

Great patina on that car. What are your plans for it?

#30 ·
In a way I envy you, and in a way I don't. What to do? I think I remember you (or someone) saying the interior has been restored? I wonder if that removes it from the "Survivor" category. On the outside, it is in such good original (survivor) condition, I would be stuck on which way to go, but if it has been restored in some area, then it might already be decided. Restore it! Aside from that quandary, I envy you for sure!
I wonder when the white stripe on the hood was added. You have a photo (on the Yenko forum) the original owner took, which does not show the stripe.

Brett.......

#33 · (Edited)
in a way i envy you, and in a way i don't. What to do? I think i remember you (or someone) saying the interior has been restored? I wonder if that removes it from the "survivor" category. On the outside, it is in such good original (survivor) condition, i would be stuck on which way to go, but if it has been restored in some area, then it might already be decided. Restore it! Aside from that quandary, i envy you for sure!
I wonder when the white stripe on the hood was added. You have a photo (on the yenko forum) the original owner took, which does not show the stripe.

Brett.......

#31 ·
You probably want to get some real good pictures of the engine and trans stampings including the partial VINs and let some of the experts see them to determine if they are original stampings. It's really odd that the stampings don't match the POP yet have the partial VIN.

#34 ·
I rarely chime in but....I WOULD NOT restore this car!!! I would walk past a hundred trailer queen Camaros with their base coat clear paint jobs to see this car at a show! I don't have to wonder if car is original with sheet metal made in America. I think the present condition of this car is what makes it unique and would only do what is necessary to make it mechanically sound and safe to drive and enjoy! Cars like this are not easy to come by and hope you preserve as is.(just my two cents!). Congratulations on a great car!

#35 ·
I rarely chime in but....I WOULD NOT restore this car!!! I would walk past a hundred trailer queen Camaros with their base coat clear paint jobs to see this car at a show! I don't have to wonder if car is original with sheet metal made in America. I think the present condition of this car is what makes it unique and would only do what is necessary to make it mechanically sound and safe to drive and enjoy! Cars like this are not easy to come by and hope you preserve as is.(just my two cents!). Congratulations on a great car![/QUOTE

It would be a crime to paint his car! I searched for years to find a solid original car. It’s currently on my lift in the garage and I’ve been through the entire car. It’s crazy how solid it is and how strong the 396 roars down the road.

#38 ·
I know everyone has different tastes, but with all the repainted cars out there, it doesn't seem like it would make sense for someone to purchase a unrestored car, patina and all just to re-paint, and re-do most of the car.

Some may see a car like this and say " oh that is the perfect car to do a full resto on", but every time that happens there is one less original unrestored car out there. Unfortunate IMO.
It is their car they paid money for, I just don't get the thinking.
If you are going to re-paint it, why not just buy a finished car or a car that has already been repainted, or has had a few repaints already?
:clonk:
(no offense Clill) maybe you or someone else can explain that line of thinking to me. thanks:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.