EFI Pieces and parts - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 07, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

EFI Pieces and parts

Some have asked "what is this stuff", so I thought I'd start a pieces and parts post.

This first pic shows much of the Cammander 950 Throttle Body EFI system, including the throttle body with it's 4 injectors, and the Comander 950 controller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

Last edited by Everett#2390; Apr 7th, 11 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Removed red box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 07, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: EFI Pieces and parts

This is the "TPS" (throttle position sensor) It is basically a rheostart attached to the throttle. It's inputs are ground and 5 volts, and it's output is variable between 0 and 5 volts. The controller uses this to know "how much go" you want.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

Last edited by Everett#2390; Apr 7th, 11 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Removed red box
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 07, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
nice red x !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jody
lmao! having some trouble typing here, and still got one more. You got anything to add, smarty?

We need a MAP, and maybe some pics of some complete installed systems (recognizable, not the stuff covered in turbos that you do!)

Everyone, please feel free to add to this at will. I'm gonna sticky this, and hopefully it will help people to recognize different systems, sensors, etc. and get a better feel for what efi is all about. Screen shots of software and datalogs would be welcome too!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 07, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

This is an IAC (Idle Air Controller) It's a valve. Seriously tho, it is a precision stepper motor with a threaded shaft. A "pintle" (hardcore efi for valve) screws on to the shaft. The pintle sticks into a passage in the throttle body that goes around the throttle blades, such that the position of the pintle can regulate the airflow at zero throttle. The computer uses the IAC to control the idle speed and compensate for various loads. That's why EFI cars have no rpm drop when put into gear, or when the A/C kicks on, and how the computer keeps the idle speed right when the motor is cold.

Virtually all efi systems, factory and aftermarket, have one just like this.
Someday maybe I'll pull it off and show you my pintle.

Last edited by Everett#2390; Apr 7th, 11 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Removed red box
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 07, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

I believe it to be a good idea to explain the components, their function, and finally, how all of the items work together.

Maybe list the components used as either input devices or output devices.
Defining the different EFI systems, N alpha, Speed Density, and Mass Air Flow.

N alpha - uses two input sensors for fuel calculation, tachometer reference and throttle position. Very crude system for the radical engine. Its table (fuel map or program) has to be manually changed to adjust output device, the fuel injector(s).

Speed Density - a control system having multiple input sensors with a few output devices. A simple(?) fuel management system.
Input sensors include:
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) measures intake manifold pressure;
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) as JimM said, gives ECM the amount, read as a %, of throttle opening;
CTS (coolant temperature sensor) tells the ECM how cold/hot the engine coolant is;
Tachometer reference - taken from the ignition system to tell the ECM engine rpm;
MAT (Manifold Air Tempersture) - tells ECM the temp of incoming air;
FTS (Fuel Temperature Sensor) - tells ECM temp of fuel, some systems have this, some don't;
O2 sensor (Oxygen sensor) - a device in the exhaust telling the ECM how much oxygen is in the exhaust gases, some are single wire and installed in the exh manifold, others have heaters to heat them up and are installed in the exhaust piping;
And there are more eluding me at the moment.
Oil Pressure sensor - tells ECM oil is being pumped.
Knock sensor - tells ECM of detonation and pinging.
Output devices are:
IAC ( Idle Air Control) - as JimM said, a stepper motor driving a pintle in/out of as hole to control idle speed, a controlled vacuum leak. Has two drivers from the ECM , one for forwards and one for backwards;
EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) - a system used to control the combustion temperature by re-routing exhaust gas through the intake system to dilute the intake charge and reduce emissions. The valve itself, in earlier designs, used solenoid controlled vacuum to pull open the valve. Newer valves are stepper motor driven and give feedback to the ECM as to the amount open;
Cannister purge - a solenoid on the purge line of the charcoal cannister to open the the tank and pull the vapors from the tank and burn them.
Injector pulse - a solenoid with a needle & seat to control fuel flow by input signal given from the ECM after the ECM has "looked" at all input sensors and read the fuel map/program. The injector has two wires, one wire with a relay controlled fused battery voltage, the other wire is ECM controlled. If both wires read high, close to battery, then injector is closed, ECM decides to open injector, ECM places a low, i.e., 0.5 vdc, on the wire. Now, a difference in potential or voltage is present and injector opens.
Ignition timing - retards/advances timing as instructed by ECM dependent upon input sensors.

Mass Air Flow - same as Speed Density, except has a MAF (Mass Air Flow meter) is used to tell the ECM how much air the engine is ingesting. Some designs are spring loaded doors with a wiper arm on a rheostat, others are hot wire design. Hot wire meter is a length of wire and the ECM runs current through this wire to keep it hot. As more air travels across the wire the wire cools, ECM adds more current to keep it warm. This change of current tells the ECM the amount of air being injesting and this info is used to adjust injector pulse. MAF sensor also tells ECM temp of incoming air. When ECM is turned off, as in ignition OFF, the wire is superheated to clean itself by burning off any foreign material collected, as in bugs on the grill.

In all the input sensors to the ECM, one lead to the sensor is ECM ground. This ground is not vehicle nor battery ground, but a low potential of voltage, less than 0.5 VDC.

The MAP sensor, Manifold Absolute Pressure, and TPS, Throttle Position Sensor, have an ECM ground lead and in the case of the TPS, the technician uses the ECM ground lead to adjust for idle voltage rather than using vehicle ground.

Sorry to get carried away. I'm sure I've left out some good info. The above info is referenced for OBD I systems and from what I have read from books & mags and from School Of Hard Knocks. I'm sure everyone has attended this school.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'I wish the Dollar Store would sell gas. '
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 03:39 PM
Micah

Great Post Everett !!

68' Camaro RS SS Black/Black
F.A.S.T. XFI Fuel Injection & Digital Dash
502 Ram Jet
F-Tranny Fluid Manual Valve Body

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 10:04 PM
James

Re: 950 Cammader EFI Pieces and parts

Ihave only heard good things about this unit. When i go EFI it will be on the top of my list for consoderation.

james

James
68 Camaro Convertible
M-21 Stroked 381 w/ AFR Alum Heads
12 Bolt 4:11s
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 11, 07:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Herby

Garage

Would it be possible for someone to update Jim's photos in the first few posts of this thread? I'm considering using EFI in my 67, and I'd love to see the pics. It doesn't even need to be the original pics, but it would be nice to see the Commander 950, the TPS and the IAC. Can somebody help a brother out?

H.

I still have my first car.
A
bought in 1982.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 11, 10:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: EFI Pieces and parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbyjr View Post
Would it be possible for someone to update Jim's photos in the first few posts ... Can somebody help a brother out?

H.
Sure
Here a typical Holley Commander system kit Click image for larger version

Name:	Holley Commander 950 system.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	21708

The other parts photos are/were just generic examples of common parts you'd find in some systems.
They can all be found, along with discription, in this link - http://www.chevythunder.com/fuel%20i....%20pg%20B.htm

If a given photo of something is needed let me know

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 13, 11:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Stumbled on this post, it is old but just noticing the 3" mini discs. Didn't think they still used these.
I am guessing that Mast or Fast is the way to go now?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode