Team Camaro Tech banner

Hello

5K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  CO68Camaro 
#1 ·
been lurking here for years and thought it was time to exit the shadows.

I'm currently working on a 67 plain jane Camaro, almost no options. Dad and I picked it up in 1986 with plans to Tub it and make a race car. Well life happened and we never finished. Its been sitting outside untouched for almost 30 years. I decided this was the year to start.

So far Ive removed the ladder bar setup and replaced it with a triangulated 4 link, Rebuilt body mounts to attached the body to the 2x3 frame we made years ago. Next step is to get floors back in it. I plan to use a stock floorpan and clearance it to fit around the frame. when done it will have 29x18 mickeys on the back, Looking for some pictures of these on a Camaro as well as trunk pictures with smaller wheel tubs. I'm hoping to put a back seat in it again. I think its going to workout but not sure yet

Thanks - Ken

#2 ·
If I recall some people have used convertable back seats to fit with the tubs. Either way you can always cut the frame on the seat and shorten it that way.

#17 ·
I have scoured the Build section looking for inspiration but have not found what I'm looking for, Its not exactly a Mini-tub scenario. My frame rails are 30" outside to outside, I want to use smaller full size tubs of some sort, Playing with the idea of a stock outer wheel house attached to a fabricated inner to get the width I need. Just not sure if the stock outer will permit the 29" tall wheel.
I would love to see pictures of PROZ11's setup, possibly build pictures if any are available.

#7 ·
Welcome to TC Ken. The hardest part about putting nice new perfect floors and trunk pan back in it is knowing you are going to hack it up to fit the frame connectors, 4-link front mounts and the coil over upper mounts - ask me how I know lol.

#9 ·
Due to the way we built the car 30 years ago, its going to take some magic to get the stock type floor back in, The rear frame is 2x3 box that runs from the front subframe all the way to the rear bumper. it is welded and boxed to the inside of the stock front frame rails. Body mounts are welded between the rockers and the 2x3 frame. taking the body off the frame is not possible without cutting mounts. with careful measurements from fixed points, I'm hoping to clearance the floor pan before putting it in from the top, this may require sectioning the floor to fit it in through either the door opening or windshield opening. I'm not quite there yet so Ill see how it plays out.

Looking at the whole picture, its overwhelming. the amount of work need is enormous. I brake it down into very small pieces so that I can accomplish small goals frequently rather than focusing on the "Finished Car" I focus on a single Weld or Fabricated piece. Keeps me moving without being discouraged.

Make no mistake, when it is complete. It will contain more new metal than old, The joke here is the only original part will be the vin tag.

#8 ·
Watch it Greg. You will have Ken thinking that membership here is to be part of a 12 step program...

#15 ·
I thought that went hand in hand with the membership........or maybe that is therapy from talking and yelling at your car when things don't go right l:)

#11 ·
currently has a 14 point cage, I have been slowly removing it as I brace and repair sections of the car. The plan is to replace it with a more street friendly 6 or 8 point. we didn't do the best job of installing it the first time around, I'm older, wiser (I think), and more patient now. hopefully this will equate to a cleaner setup

#13 ·
You have a lot of work with the blessing that its so far off original that you have the ability to do what you have to do. Will your floor be "on" the chassis more than "in" the chassis? Please post some pics at some point so we can all offer you more advice than you can possibly need. Most of us who arent stock kinda move our cars from streeters towards racecars. You are coming the other way.

#14 ·
It will be "on" the chassis in the front, at or near the rear of the front seat brackets it be "in" the chassis. I still haven't figured our the rear seat area. Ill post some pictures in a day or two, I'm in the process of getting it out of the driveway an into a very small 1 car garage

#22 ·
A few inch's of the original floor was left where it meets the rear body panel and quarters. You can kind of see in the top picture through the taillight opening there is a piece of 2X3 stock. That is welded to rear sub frame and the rear body panel. I'll have to look and see if I have any pictures of the interior of the trunk sheet metal. There is a 16 gallon fuel cell that takes up a good portion of the trunk. The battery is located in the right well behind the wheel tub.

#24 ·
got the old rust bucket moved into my miniature garage so I can work on it over the winter. My wife says its a 3 car garage, I just need to by smaller cars, anyone know where I can get a good fiat 500 pro-street roller?

As you can see, All I have left to do is everything! by the time its done, 98% of it will be imported sheet metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.