Tools & Shops Shop Rat HQ

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3d cad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 16, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Eastwood plasma/tig combo ??

Thinking about upgrading the garage with a plasma cutter and tig welder. Anyone have any experience with these two?? Has decent reviews recently. Will be used for mainly restoration work on my 'Bird. Seems like a nice kit.

TIG Welder | TIG 200 Welder | Plasma Cutter | Plasma Cutter Kit ? Eastwood Welders

67 'Bird vert 455 JW TH400 KRE d-port 310 cfm heads H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 21st, 16, 10:08 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage
Re: Eastwood plasma/tig combo ??

I got one over a year ago and it works good. Plasma cutter is awesome. TIG welding was not easy for me so lots of practice. I have not had any issues with it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 01:13 PM
Senior Tech
Al

No experience with it, but I would steer clear. Probably imported from the C.H. Ina Co. I'd stick with a US brand for that kind of stuff, Miller, Lincoln etc., so you can easily get service or parts.

Worse than spending too much money is not spending enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech
Dante

Garage

I have that exact combination and it works fine.
My MIG is a Hobart and that works great too.

1973 Camaro Type LT
350 4 spd

2012 ZL1 "Dante's Inferno"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Knowing Eastwood like Sears doesn't make anything I would research who actually makes it. Then I would figure out what it will cost you ion lost features compared to the actual price when buying directly from the manufacturer.

I might add I have owned in my old auto shop a Miller TIG welder and a Lincoln stick welder and a Hobart MIG welder none of which I bought new. I checked with local welders as to which worked best for my limited needs (I wasn't a full time fabricator) and solicited their help in finding a good used one in the area. I was lucky in that my shop was a bench racing center, and I had a lot of guys with many skills wandering through the shop every evening. So I could either trade labor on a car repair or upgrade in a Quid Pro Quo arrangement. Todays welders are more computer that mechanical so I don't know if that advise still holds.

As far as all in one units go this one is a good one and is made in the US.

ESAB Rebel EMP 215ic 0558102240

It doesn't have a plasma cutter but I never owned one. I used an older technology in the form of the first plasma cutter called an Acetylene torch most of my life, and I got by though it required a lot more welding. To cut bar stock I used a Milwaukee Tool friction disc cut off miter saw (aka a hot saw compared to the better cold saw).

Big Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 25th, 16, 05:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Stuart

Hi Mark, I went through the same thought process with the plasma and tig combo. Kept reading over and over, all the bad reviews made skeptical about servicing if ever the need arises. I kept looking and my pocket kept on cringing. I finally came to the Hobart website and found refurbished units. Factory Refurbished HOBART AirForce 250ci Plasma Cutter - Hobart Welding Products
I just checked and they are in stock, $599. Plus the shipping and handling. I am just a hobbyist and didn't need a bigger unit. It runs on 110, and has a generous length on the ground and torch cables, best of all it has it's own compressor.I am very happy with mine. As for the tig, I'm still looking, but I refuse to buy anything I can't get serviced locally.

Stuart
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 16, 10:05 AM
Tech Team
rich

I personally do not like multi process machines , the best machine right now on the market that is affordable is the ahp alpha tig 200. the machine has ac/dc with frequency and pulse, it even comes with a foot pedal. Ahp has a us based company in california to send the machine to in case it needs repairs. The machine has 200 reviews and is 4 1/2 stars, there 2015 model had 4 1/2 stars and had 500 or so reviws. Make sure that if you get one, get the 2016 model that has better features + its $710 shipped to your door.
https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-...=ahp+alpha+tig

Thanks
Richard
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 16, 04:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I have the best TIG. Its a Miller. The reason its the best is that its my neighbors and he lends it to me whenever I need it! It kinda like the best beer ya know.
JERRYS 69 Z likes this.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 16, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Mark, Keep an eye on your local Craigslist. Also check with your local welding supply houses. They sometimes come up with units that were in for repair but never picked up or units that were traded, show specials, etc. I've seen welders at pawn shops.

Al

my 67' build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode